Cat's teeth falling out

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BobsMom, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Back in January I adopted a young cat. He is probably three or four years old. When we got him, he had only front teeth and his fangs. Since then, about three of his front bottom teeth and one top fang have fallen out. I am really at a loss as to what this can be. His history is that he was found on the streets about two years ago by an animal rescue group and up until we took him, he had lived in a cage at a no kill shelter. I would really appreciate any imput as I am completely dumbfounded.

Thanks, Nancy

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I can understand your confusion, Nancy; I would be confused too. I know nothing about it. Hope you crack the mystery.

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Nancy

As you know, this is very abnormal. Carnivore teeth are very well rooted, esp the canines. I would re-test your cat for FeLV/FIV and talk to your vet about doing a dentistry with full oral radiographs. Are you sure the complete tooth fell out? It is very possible the root is in there, causing him pain. You also need to see what is going on with the rest of the teeth as he may be in pain too. There is some chance that it is a bone issue (the jawbone isn't holding the teeth) so dental radiographs are essential. If your vet doesn't do them, you have to find a vet who does. There are some veterinary dentists, even.

You can start with a vet appt and bloodwork (chem/cbc) and FeLV/FIV test, and discuss dentistry. I wouldn't wait on this because you probably have a cat with an ongoing condition that is painful.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Nancy,

I see you're in Bergen County and realize this may be a bit of a hike, but I took my girls to the board certified dentist at Red Bank Vet. hosp. It's exit 109 off the GSP. His name is Dr. Stein and he's really good. Might be worth a car ride to get this checked out, like Jess suggests. And he does the xrays (digital too).

http://www.rbvh.net/

5. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to call the animal rescue group where I got him and see if they will help with the upcoming Vet bills.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I sure hope they can help.

7. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Nancy, make sure you get him retested for FeLV/FIV sooner rather than later. Because of your other cats, this is an immediate concern. They may be able to re-test at the shelter hospital.

8. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Just spoke to Teddi's vet. He tested negative two years ago and negative again on 01/14/2010. I have no idea how old he is but do not think that he is a senior. I got him from an animal rescue group and they do not seem to be too enthusiastic to help me. So any imput at all would be very helpful. BTW, they have still not formalized the adoption and I do not want to lose him.

Thanks, Nancy

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

If the shelter won't help, then you need to take care of him yourself. May I suggest that you make an appt. at Red Bank or even Oradell if that's closer to you and see a general practictioner and dentist. Get him tested and get his teeth looked at.

10. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

That's exactly what I am going to do.

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Why test FIV/FeLV again now if he was negative in January? Just trying to learn.

12. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I'm still not entirely clear on when he was adopted. He should be tested at least three months AFTER the last possible exposure i.e. living at the shelter, in another foster home, or access to outdoors. If he was inside her house, with no new additions and no possibility of going outside, in September 09, then he fits this criterion.

The other issue, though, is that some cats will successfully sequester FeLV in their bone marrow, sometimes for almost their whole lives. It's not common, but there are reliable reports of cats popping up with FeLV infection especially when they are older or become compromised in some way. If a cat experiences an onset of some solid symptoms of FeLV/FIV such as severe dental disease, it's worth it to test again. My cat Dillon was a street cat for years. I tested him immediately, at 4 months, then again at some point after 6 months (generally considered the average maximum incubation time, except in those cases I mentioned). If he became anemic, etc. I'd test him again, actually. It's a relatively cheap test and one whose results change everything, esp. treatment options.

13. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

This rescue group has no shelter, so he was fostered. Never allowed outside, as a matter of fact, that was one of the stipulations of my adoption. He has been in my home since January. He was tested then and the Dr said that he had a badly inflamed gum and that the canine tooth needed to come out. The rescue group did nothing even though I kept asking and it came out on it's own. His last test was in January and was negative. To be honest he does not have alot of teeth so it is very hard to tell his age. He acts young, but so does my Mom and she's 75! Just really confused.

14. Hillary & Maui (GA)

My thoughts on testing, were following what Jess suggested and the need for a vet exam.

I also think he needs dental xrays to see how extensive the damage is, if there are any roots still intact and if any more teeth are damaged and need removal.

It doesn't seem like you will receive any assistance from the rescue group, so you need to do this on your own. If money is an issue, you could apply for a care credit card and at least have time to pay off the balance interest free.

15. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

We have an appointment for tomorrow evening. Will let you all know what happens. Fingers crossed.

16. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Also think about how you might be able to use some other credit card offers out there right now that have zero interest periods and lower interest rates than Care Credit.

For example, this Fidelity Amex card. No annual fee, 2% cash back if you have a Fidelity account, and 0% interest on balance transfers for the first 7 statement closing dates following the opening of your account. 13.99% for purchases, and for balance transfers after the 7 statement closing dates. If you qualify for the Fidelity card, and you have another credit card, you can put the payment on your existing card and then balance transfer to the Fidelity card for a fee of either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater.

17. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

Re: Cat's teeth falling out - update

Had him tested for FIV again and the tests were negative - so that makes three negative tests. As for his teeth, the Dr said that he has stomatitis (sp). His dental will be between $800 and $1100 (this dental will include canine teeth, making it more expensive). She gave me a written estimate, so over the weekend I am going to call the rescue group and see if they will waive the adoption fee and contribute some of the money. Will keep you posted, just wanted to share the FIV results. I am so relieved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.