Cat’s underside coat looking unkempt

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Max99, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max99

Max99 Member

Hi everyone,

I’ve noticed my cat’s underside is looking a little unkempt. I’ve just read that this could be due to a change in diet, which I have done recently. I can’t change back to her other food as she won’t eat that, hence the change in diet. Also, it could be due to her arthritis and not being able to clean her underside any more.

She also spends most of her time under a throw and as the weather is warming up, it could be sweat. I’ve tried tempting her out today but she just wanted to go back under. I’ve made sure there are gaps at both ends of the “tent” she’s under so air can hopefully pass through. The windows are open in the room she’s in also. I was thinking of cleaning her underside myself and wondered what the best thing to do is? Would I just brush there using her brush and comb or do I need to use a damp cloth or sponge?

Thanks all :)

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. When you say 'underside', are you talking about her entire chest/belly area or are you talking about a dirty 'bottom' from poop? Brushing/combing works fine if the hair is just messy and or getting matted, but if she is actually dirty, you will probably need to do more. You may be able to use a warm, wet cloth for the clean up unless it is bad enough that a full bath is in order.

3. Max99

Max99 Member

No, just her chest/belly area thanks :) I have been able to brush her there slightly today and now she’s out from under her tent as well. :)

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

She was hiding because of having a bad hair day. :D

5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

It's shedding season. At least it is here in New England. ;)

I find that short but numerous brushing sessions help. Short so they don't get too tired of the attention and run away on you.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Is she grooming? Noticed Max rarely groomed in his later years. His nails also got too thick for me to cut.

7. Max99

Max99 Member

That’s what I’m wondering. I try to brush her chest/tummy but she doesn’t like it. She loves being brushed everywhere else. :) I’m thinking of getting a grooming glove to try.

8. tiffmaxee

9. tiffmaxee

Mist cats don’t like anyone to touch their tummy though. These two I gave niw are tge wxception. It’s worth a try though.

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try rubbing a pinch of cornstarch on her belly. That's what I do when CC'S fur looks a bit ragged. It's an old show cat trick. It's like a dry shampoo.

11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

If you can find a cat friendly groomer it might help to shave the underside like a "T" armpits and down to privates.
    I groom many cats this way and they seem to do much better. You should be able to wait for this as it takes little time and at my shop I have the owner come back and stay with them. FYI "shaving" is not necessarily seeing the skin we have many lengths to choose from.

In my experience the only type of brush to get matts out is a bent bristle and firm wire brush. Most of the others go with over the matts. Good luck :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I never realized you're a groomer... Good to know! ;)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  13. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

@jayla-n-Drevon can you post a pic of this bent bristle brush?

14. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I will grab one tonight and post when I go to the shop to check on my shop kitty :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.