Cerenia - drug

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl & Tom, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl & Tom

Cheryl & Tom New Member

Hi,

Has anyone given the drug Cerenia to their DM cat? Tom is quite nauseous these days, but not vomitting, so the vet has recommended that we try him on this drug.

Cheryl

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

When Shadoe had her p-titis attack and was quite sick and not eating and nauseous, I was told to give her pepcid first, as it may well work. They gave me some cerenia if she got alot sicker and vomiting, but the pepcid and SQuids worked for her.

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

The drug is not labeled for cats but seems to work in that species as well. Has your cat gotten a full workup for nausea? Cerenia can only be used for a few days at a time and is best as a temporary band-aid for a cat who is nauseous for a known reason or who hasacute, intractable vomiting not caused by a GI obstruction.

4. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i use cerenia probably the most for cleo. we use other antinausea drugs (ondansetron and anzemet) but she seems to respond best with cerenia.

i give 1/4 of a small dog & cat's sized cerenia pill and no food for at least 2 hrs. it works very well for her and she gets it once a day in a tiny piece of a pill pocket. jess, i "think" my onco vet dr sahblok said she went to a conference recently where they discussed that it is ok to use daily rather than having to stop it periodically as they'd thought earlier (cleo's on so many meds these days i'm not positive it was cerenia, but i'm pretty sure about it). but it's always important to keep checking the kidney values to make sure they're not affected.

5. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

*giggle* i just tried to look up hasacute. and then i realized what it was. ohmygod_smile i guess i need more than 5 hrs of sleep :oops:

6. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Chris

AFAIK the 'max' recommendation for cats is once daily for seven days then every other day; this is assuming no major liver issues....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.