? Cerenia injection-???

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah & Jackie, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

I have cerenia to give Jack an injection if needed, and it does seem to be needed. I can't remember how to draw it up. They gave me a glass vial with a rubber stopper on top, some syringes with needles to draw up the dosage, and other needles to switch to once it is drawn up to give the injection. Do I remove the rubber stopper to draw up the injection?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

It might help to post a pic of the vial if you can.

Don't just take my word for it, but any vial I have been given for Saoirse, I've had to make sure all the air was expelled out of the syringe (sometimes the plungers aren't all the way down to the needle end of the syringe barrel) and then insert the needle into the rubber part of the top of the vial. Then invert the vial to draw up the dose.

Please wait for other members who may be familiar with Cerenia vials to answer you before you do anything (and certainly don't tamper with the top of the vial in case you might damage it). Sorry I can't give you a firm answer.

Mogs

3. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

Okay, thanks for the response. Glad it was you who answered, due to your pancreatitis experience. Afraid Jackie may be headed that way, doesn't want to eat. Suggestions?

Do you know how I would go about posting a picture of the vial?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Critter Mom

Don't know about how to upload from phones or tablets, but if the photo's on a PC you can click on the 'Upload a File' button below the message posting box to attach a pic to a post.

I'm sorry to hear that Jackie might be at risk for pancreatitis, Sarah. :( Simple things like raising food and water bowls can help with nausea (especially if excess stomach acid is the culprit). Here are some useful links:

Nausea and Appetite page from Tanya's Site

IDEXX pancreatitis treatment guidelines

FDMB FAQs - Suggestions on How to Stimulate Kitty's Appetite

I've found both of these sources very useful in helping me to identify when Saoirse has had nausea symptoms, etc., and how to reduce/manage the symptoms.

Has your vet run a Snap fPL or a Spec fPL test? The snap test will give a yes/no (and the vet might be able to do it in-house). The Spec fPL gives a numeric result indicating whether pancreatitis exists and also a guide to the severity of the inflammation.

As you know only too well, inappetence in a cat is a very serious issue. With Christmas imminent, I'd strongly suggest calling your vet to ask about maybe getting an Rx for an appetite stimulant. I don't know how that would interact with the other meds Jackie is on. Saoirse got on better with cyproheptadine (gentler than mirtazapine and doesn't carry risk of serotonin syndrome).

Be sure to keep us posted about how Jackie's doing.

:bighug::bighug:

Mogs

6. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

cerenia vial.JPG

7. Critter Mom

I see where the confusion is coming from, Sarah. :confused:

Larry has made a good suggestion above. I don't have anything to add. Perhaps other members will be able to chime in.

Mogs

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

If you inject air, draw back the syringe plunger to the dose you need to get an equivalent amount of air to inject into the tube. Push the air in and then draw up the dose. If you put too much air in or create a vacuum in the tube, it will make it harder to draw up the Cerenia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.