Cerenia shot in cats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, my cat Perry who has kidney disease just went for blood work and he is still stable, the numbers were good. The last 4 days he has been throwing up and has diarrhea. Took him to my vet and she gave me a liquid form med for diarrhea, it's day 2 he is on it. The throwing up hasn't stopped, so last night took him to the vet and he was given a shot of cerenia. Since the shot he has no appetite, not playing, just laying around, just not himself. I just put a call into the vet. I was reading some of the side effects and it sounds like he's having the side effects. Tonight I am supposed to give him 2 pills and then 2 pills 24 hours from then. Just got a call from my vet as I am typing, she said to hold off on the 2 pills tonight and that him being dopey , not playing, is a side effect. Has this happened to anyone's cats.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I love Cerenia. My girls have not had any bad side effects from it, but as everyone always says here, every cat is different. You said you were supposed to give him 2 pills. You don't mean 2 pills of Cerenia, do you? I hope not. How much does your cat weigh and how many mg are the Cerenia pills you have?

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi , yes 2 pills of cerenia at 7 pm tonight, they are 24 mgs each, then 24 hours after that another 2 pills and that's it. Like I said the vet told me to hold off on the next dose. My usual vets office was closed last night so I had to take Perry to another vets office I used yrs ago. I am going to call my regular vet tomorrow asap. My cat weighs 13.6 lbs I was reading about the dosage for a 13 lb cat and it said 2 pills, but like I said I am holding off on them. I just wish he would eat a little something. They also gave Perry fluids last night

4. FurBabiesMama

That is WAY too large a dose of Cerenia! Cats usually get 1/4 of a 16 mg tablet.. so just 4 mg. The largest dose I have heard of is 1/2 of a 16 mg tablet for a very large cat. 48 mg is ridiculous. I hope the dose that was given via shot was more appropriate.

5. FurBabiesMama

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

The dose for the shot was 10mg/ml/ml that's what it says on the receipt. I really wanted to go to my vet but they closed early in Saturday and since he didn't vomit all day Friday I was hoping it was going away. I am going to call my vet asap tomorrow. The vet I went to is sending the records over to my vet. I am so upset. I called her back and asked when the shot would start to wear off and she said probably by tonight, it wasn't her I spoke to, one of her girls relayed the message to me. He just ate a little and drank a little but he's sleeping again. Thank you and I will let you know what my vet says to me tomorrow. Thank you for your help

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

I just read the threads, boy I am really pissed off with this vet. Thank God she told me to skip the next dose, but I wasn't going to give it to him anyway. I can't wait to talk to my vet tomorrow. Will let you know. Thank you again

8. FurBabiesMama

The Cerenia dosing info for cats for the shot says .45 mg per lb. So, it sounds like the vet gave extra of that, too. I wonder if the Cerenia would have been fine had it been dosed correctly.

"For Treatment of Vomiting in Cats 4 Months of Age and Older (CERENIA Injectable): Administer CERENIA Injectable Solution intravenously over 1-2 minutes or subcutaneously at 1 mg/kg (0.45 mg/lb) equal to 0.1 mL/kg (0.1 mL/2.2 lb) of body weight once daily for up to 5 consecutive days.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/p...s_and_injectable_marketing_package_insert.pdf

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I just read that, , I may sound dumb, lol so if he weighs 13.2 lbs how much should she have given, do you know, I don't know how to calculate it. You gave been so helpful. I just emailed my vet the whole stiry. I just hope this shot wears off for him

10. FurBabiesMama

I think 6 mg. .45mg x 13.2lbs = 5.94 mg

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

That sounds about right, I just read on another thread that a 10 lb cat gets 4.5 mg

12. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That does not make sense. 10mg/ml makes sense since that is a concentration, not a dose. To get dose one also needs the amount (ml) injected.

Per this, the cerenia dosing for dogs is a lot higher than for cats. For an 8.9>13.2 the dose is two 24 mg tabs.

https://www.cerenia.com/how-to-use-cerenia.aspx

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi , I'm so confused right now, did you read all my posts here. My cat weighs 13.2 lbs, so what you are saying is that the injection this vet gave my cat was correct, and her telling me to give my cat 48 mgs of the tablets was correct. She's not my regular vet. It's just that my cat is still sleeping all day, no appetite, mopey, just not himself. I'm not going to give him the 2 tablets tonight. What do you mean the shot was a concentration, not a did, sorry I don't understand

14. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Katie had shots of Cerenia on 2 different occasions. Each time it made her worse- she was spacey, out of it, wouldnt eat..... The first time I wasnt sure it it was the cerenia, that's why we tried it one more time at a later date. Never again for her. My civvie can take it with no problem.
    Vet tech told me reaction to cerenia are rare, but she has a dog that reacts the same way. So it does happen.

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel's sister was on Cerenia recently. She weighs about 12 lbs and her dose was 1/4 of a 24 mg tablet (= 6 mg total) once a day.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I believe Larry meant that the equation on your receipt makes no sense and I agree. 10mg/ml would be the concentration of the Cerenia meaning every ml of fluid contains 10mg. of the drug. The extra "/ml" on the receipt makes no sense unless this is how they express that they gave 1ml. If that's the case, they gave your cat 10mg. when the suggested dose for Tyler at 13.2 lbs. would be 6mg.

Larry was just showing that the vet's suggestion to give Tyler 2 tabs is the dog dose which is higher than the recommended dose for cats.
    It looks to me like the vet may have been confusing dog vs. cat dosages.

I hope Tyler is feeling better today.

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Katiesmom thanks for telling me what happened, yes same thing wouldn't eat, Spacey, Today Perry seems like he's back to normal lol he's eating , drinking, going to see how the rest of the day goes Thanks

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you for getting back to me, today Perry seems back to normal, eating, drinking, as you read he only got the shot, going to see if he starts to vomit again, I do have the pills 24 mgs but will not use them as the vet I had to see was not my usual vet, it was a different place because my vet was closed. So this vet said not to give him the pills at all. Today I'm waiting for my vet to call back, I emailed her what happened. If he should start to vomit again down the road, I will see how much of the 24 mg table she wants me to give, no way will I give him the whole 24 mg.

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Mr WorfMens Mom. Hi I am waiting to hear back from my usual vet, she was closed on Sat so I took Perry to somewhere else because he would not stop vomiting. I have no idea how much was in the shot, The vet I saw said she was going to send over her notes for the visit and what she gave Perry. When it comes to the pills she sent me home with she told me not to give them, I called her and told her how strange Perry was acting. When I speak to my own vet today, I will see what she says if Perry starts to vomit in the next coming days, when it comes to cutting the 24 mg pill. Perry has kidney disease and his brother Tyler has diabetes.will let everyone know what my vet says when I talk to her

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

To all who have responded I just looked at the receipt sgaag when it refers to how much of the cerenia shot the vet gave Perry, I originally stated on the receipt it said 10mg/ml/ml .well I just looked at the quality and it says 0.60. So I am wondering if she did give only 6 mg,. I missed seeing that on the receipt

23. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

That would seem to be the correct dose for a cat of 13lbs. so the vet did not make a mistake. Glad to hear Tyler is behaving more normally and has been eating today. Hope he keeps doing so and you can put this issue behind you.

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you, but when it came to giving Perry the pills she sent me home with she definitely said for me to give him 2 of the 24 mgs which would have been 48 mgs at once, then she wanted me to give him the same amount 24 hrs later. Thank God I didn't give him any, Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate it

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Talked to my vet last night about the cerenia tablets and she did say if he starts to vomit again to cut the 24 mg tablet in fours and give him 6 mgs . She didn't know why the vet I went to told me to give Perry 48 mgs at once. So far since the cerenia shot which was 6 mg he hasn't vomited. So I'm not going to give him the pill yet and see what happens. Thank you all for everything. Will keep everyone updated.

26. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I have used both the shot and pill form for a variety of animals with great success.

I am glad Perry feels better and hope that continues.

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks so much, so far so good, but still having a problem with the diarrhea, He has been on metronidazole for 4 days already. He went today and still diarrhea, first time he went in the last 2 days. He started having diarrhea this past Saturday. I probably have at least 2 more days of it left in the bottle. My vet made it for me in liquid form. He's an indoor cat so my vet really doesn't think he has parasites. I guess I will finish out the bottle and if it doesn't stop I will bring him in. I feel so bad for this cat. He does have kidney disease, just had his complete blood work done last month and his numbers were good. He is also on seizure meds. The seizures started about 2 yrs ago. It's been 9 months since he has had one. This poor cat is on phenobarbital twice a day and Keppra three times a day, now the metronidazole. It's like I'm shoving medicine all day long.The medication for the diarrhea is a probiotic and an antibiotic, that's what she told me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  28. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Another diarrhea med that can help is Tylosin. It works in a similar fashion to metronidazole.

29. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi yes my vet was telling me about this, if the metronidazole doesn't help. The only thing is my cat doesn't eat wet food. I read that you can put it in a gel capsule. It's also very bitter like the metronidazole. I have this in liquid form and my poor cat drools like crazy when I give it to him. I was afraid if I got the pill form I wouldn't be able to get him to swallow it. But last night I had to give him the cerenia pill for the vomiting and I got him to swallow it. This poor cat is on so much medication. Phenobarbital, Keppra both for seizures, and now the cerenia and the metronidazole. I will let you know if my vet switches him to tylosin. Thank you

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

Well I spoke too soon about his vomiting , my poor baby threw up last night, so I started the cerenia tablets last night. Will give him another dose tonight. My vet said she has many cats that have kidney disease on cerenia all the time. I will keep you all updated, and thank you all for everything

31. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Metronidazole is an antibiotic that helps with the inflammation of the gut which usually settles the diarrhea down. I have had great success with that as well.

You may want to try slippery elm bark as well.

Also..is the vomit food or watery foamy like? If white and foamy it might be acidic stomach. For that I used a 1/4 tab of regular pepcid every second day.

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi the vomit is sometimes food and then sometimes it is like water and maybe just a small amount of foam

33. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Maybe ask your vet if he would benefit from some pepcid. My civvie Rain is 8 years post dx and she sometimes has issues. It will be kind of clear/cloudy foamy in the morning and sometimes later in the day she will have the watery coloured type with bits of food. I have found that the pepcid for a 4-6 days helps settle things down again for awhile. The pepcid works better than the cerenia for her.

I was just reading an article the other day about diet etc for CKD...I will have to find it again.

Have you checked out Tanya's site...tonnes of good CKD info. https://www.felinecrf.org/

34. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi I definitely ask my vet.Yes I've been reading Tanya's site, it's very helpful. So far the last time he threw up was Tues 3-12-19 .He is still on the cerenia , I have 4 more doses left. Will have to see what happens after I'm done with those pills. The last time he pooped was Tues 3-12-19. It was diarrhea, he hasn't gone since. He's still on the metronidazole liquid, I probably have 3 more doses left in the bottle. If it's still diarrhea I'll have to see what my vet wants to do. He's eating very well, playing and drinking, no problem. He just had blood work done in the middle of February. His creatinine was 2.2 so that was good, it actually went down , it was 2.8 before. His phenobarbital level was 24 my vet was pleased with that. I don't remember if I told you he is on it for his seizures. He hasn't had one in 11 months. He also takes Keppra for them. This poor cat takes medicine all day. So waiting for him to poop lol to see what it is. So after he finishes the cerenia and the metronidazole I'll see what happens. I will keep in touch. Thank you for everything

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.