Change prozinc?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Martas, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Martas

Martas Member

Hello!
    My kitten is with the high numbers ... and there is no way to control.
    No matter the dose, she is almost always like that. I'm surprised she gets low numbers with low doses, but in the end, her preshot ends up rising. Her lowest numbers were obtained when she took antibiotic.
    My vet tells me that prozinc is not the insulin that works best, Lantus proposes.

I would like to know your opinion, why prozinc is not working, and if changing is a good idea.
    thousands of thanks

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

ProZinc is a good insulin. Levemir and Lantus are longer lasting, and in many cases can be a better choice, but in my opinion, in most cases, it is best to give it at least 6 months to determine that it is time to change. I do not see enough data on your spreadsheet to be able to comment on dosing or what might be going on. It looks like you are testing more consistently now, so maybe you will be able to gather enough data that we can help you. It is important to know how low a dose is taking him, so you can determine if an increase is needed. So, be sure to grab mid-cycle test whenever possible... somewhere in the +4 to +8 range is best. If you vary the times a bit each cycle, over time, you will have a pretty good idea of when nadir (lowest point in cycle) tends to occur for Cuki. After you have given a dose for 2 or 3 days, if his nadir continues to be too high, the dose should be increased, normally in 1/4 unit increments. If you do run into a low number that requires a dose decrease, that should normally also be in just 1/4 unit increments.

3. Martas

Martas Member

Thank you very much for answering!
    It is so difficult to measure cuki ... these days she has eaten little of stress and everything. She does not get used.
    The problem that I see, is that her nadir is never at certain constant hours ... sometimes it is at 2 o'clock! but I'm going to try as you say, to see if we find what happens.
    thank you!