Changed from Vestulin to Lantus on Wed. 2/6. New routine, not regulated.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CharO, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharO

CharO New Member

Greetings: My Samadhi was diagnosed in August 2018. She was started on vestulin but has not been regulated yet. Switched to Lantus on Wed. Am also in the process of changing her food to FF pate with less treats and less dry. My vet gave me a bag of Purina DM. I need to still give her some treats but don't want to keep using Party Mix naturals etc. She has had pancreatitis in the past and very sensitive stomach. Her Glucose has consistently been in the high 300- 400 range on Alpha trac. Once in a while low 500. She has now had 3 days on Lantus and BG are still high 300 - 400 range. ( Yesterday morning she hit 571- hoping it was because she only had 2 doses of lantus so far.) She was bumped up to 5.5 units of Vestulin but still did not get regulated or lower numbers. Vet started her on 3 units of Lantus. She is 12 yo rescued probably Maine Coon. She has bad arthritis and weight had gone up another 2 lbs. from Oct. to Nov. after diagnosis. Putting her at almost 20 lbs. She had been on RX diet food for 8 months prior to diagnosis but hadn't lost much weight. Hopefully with the change to FF her weight will drop. I do need to find some dry treats with no carbs for her especially while waiting for the lantus to kick in. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Great dry treat that my cat loves are Purebites. It's just freeze dried chicken. I buy big bags for dogs on amazon (same thing as the cat ones, just more for the money). They sell little cat bags of it if you want to see if she likes it. If you are going to be cutting her carbs, be very sure to ALWAYS test. The perscription weight control food is VERY high in carb (not an appropriate diet for a diabetic), so going from that to fancy feast could significantly lower her numbers.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Charlene! Glad to see you here on the message board!!

You might want to post over in the Lantus forum....You'll get the most experienced eyes watching out for you and Samadi there.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  4. CharO

CharO New Member

Ok. thanks Chris!

5. CharO

CharO New Member

Thanks I purchased the PURE BITES tonight- she loved the chicken and wouldn't eat her FF. Wanted more treats. Thanks for the suggestion!. The vet had her on RX diet food to lose weight and then the diabetes showed up. He has her on Purina DM ( supposedly for diabetics) for dry and am working on limiting al her dry food.

6. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

I started a thread a week ago titled "what about treats" and got some great replies.

7. Kathy1980

Kathy1980 Member

My vet also put my diabetic cat on the dry prescription food. His BG went higher than they were normally and with insulin! He went into remission using only canned food (FF) plus insulin. This was to my vet's dismay but it worked! I highly suggest trying the different canned types that are pate (no gravy) and see if there is one she likes.

CharO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.