Changing injection site was my answer to insulin resistance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by The Mama, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mama

The Mama New Member

I just wanted to share in case it might help someone else some time.
    After several years on Vetsulin (mostly) because it's all I can afford, I had to move my cat from 1 unit twice a day to 3 units. This was in October and I couldn't figure out why she needed the increase after all this time. I tried a new bottle of Vetsulin, twice. I tightened her diet and was so careful not to get fur shots. I had always used the scruff if her neck and circled around both sides. But even at 3 units I never got the results I had previously and there was not much of a drop at nadir. I started over at one unit to make sure 3 wasn't too much but had to keep raising it.
    After reading lots of info online I decided to try moving to the side of her stomach and immediately got results. I had tried 2 units at the first stomach area shot and nadir dropoed to 40 at +4. She's been back on 1 unit ever since.
    I even went back to her scruff once to test this and her bg was almost 300 at nadir.
    At first the side stomach shots were awkward for us both but it quickly became more smooth than her neck shots were with the skin being tougher at the scruff.
    Anyhow, this might not help in all insulin resistant situatuons but it sure made a huge difference for my cat.

2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Good advice! I was wondering about a different location. Vet tech showed me on scruff, which worked at vet, but my kitty immediately rolls on her side at home when I pet her, like a dog, and was wondering how to get a good spot since her scruff would be hard to reach when lying on her side.

3. Angie & Millhouse

Angie & Millhouse Member

This is a great suggestion. Millhouse hates the scruff shot, so I might give this a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.