Changing to human meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sam & Oscar, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

So we have been using the AT2 supplied by my vet. For obvious cost related reasons, I'm ready to switch to a human meter. These are my questions:

Anyone who's made the switch, how did you mentally deal with the change in numbers (human mtr reading lower than pet)?

How long did you take readings on both meters before you felt comfortable?

What the best way to change the SS. I was thinking about just using a new tab to start the human meter readings, which I can easily set up myself, but I don't want that to be too confusing for others viewing my SS.

I posted this over in the tech forum, I don't want to seem impatient, I'm just not sure how many eyes that gets. If I need to remove a post I can.

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

It was a bit of an adjustment when I switched and I was skeptical of the accuracy of the human at first because the numbers just seemed so much better lol. I did take a few readings on both for a couple of days, but honesty that just made it more confusing. I think the key is just sticking to one meter and not going back and comparing the numbers to the AT2.

Galaxy (GA) and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  3. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I think this is doable for me...but I cant see going "cold Turkey" on the meter... I feel like I'll just be too dubious.

I think I'll wait until the weekend when I can be home and if I get a number I don't trust, I have the backup...I'm just going through these $1 per strips way too fast!

4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Oh gosh yes, I think I was always on the conservative side with testing when I used the AT2 just because they cost so dang much, now I don’t even think twice about testing or retesting if I get a weird reading!

Galaxy (GA) and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

The standard method is to insert a line on your current spreadsheet at the switch date and type in big letters "switched to ____________ meter." This allows folk to look at whole history instead of having to switch tabs.

6. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

I wasnt being conservative, but I got to a point one night that he had the potential to go low, and I was low on strips, with more to be delivered the next day. So I bought a human meter for back up but then realized that I didn't trust it. Luckily he curved safely, but I don't want that feeling ever again!

7. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

But how do I set the spreadsheet to color code accordingly? I'm fairly efficient with excel but his color coordination had me overjoyed!

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The only one that changes is the lime green for "too low"....instead of <68 it's <50

You have to change the conditional formatting for the rows you use the human meter on

9. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

Thanks Chris! I'll try to figure this out today and if I can't, I'll reach out.

Cindy&Taco likes this.
  10. Cindy&Taco

Cindy&Taco Member

I changed over and never looked back. Of course I test like crazy so it was a welcomed change.

Also when you change over, change your signature in case you need help it can be seen what type meter you use.

There's really nothing not to trust , millions of people use them and cats too.

You can think of it this way in the beginning, say in your mind,if Oscar is 175 on the human meter, he might be 200 on your pet meter.

After a week or so you'll just get tired of figuring it out, because it doesnt always work that way.

The main thing you want to concentrate on are the numbers under 50, as that is when you would take action, and your quick drops.
    You'll be happy you went with the human meter, lots of savings. Plus look at all the curves you can do without breaking the bank.:bighug:

11. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Everybody’s different, but I only compare low numbers. In this situation it’s reassuring that the more accurate meter is giving safer (higher) numbers. Also, I try to remember that the numbers aren’t important in isolation, but only as part of an overall pattern. I’m also keeping in mind that the protocols were written for the human meter.

12. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

@Chris & China (GA)

I thought I had it figured out, but it seems like just the AMPS column is still set to the old conditions? But I thought I had changed the whole sheet as I had to go back and manually lime green some of the AT2 numbers.

13. Sam & Oscar

Sam & Oscar Member

Thanks! That's what I did yesterday with lower numbers just for peace of mine :)

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you send me a PM, I can try to do it for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.