Chase has DKA and fatty liver

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jeanene and chase, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeanene and chase

jeanene and chase Member

I've had him hospitalized since Monday, and been asking for a feeding tube instead of syringe feeding. My vet just told me they don't have any feeding tubes, so I have to move him to another vet for the surgery. They will release him back to me to go back to my vet tonight, but they will be closed. Or I can take him home possibly, see how he does and then back to the vet in the a.m. if necessary. Boarding at the other vet will be $4,500, so that's not an option. Don't know if I should wait until tomorrow a.m. Thoughts? Anyone use a feeding tube in the past? Could use your good thoughts/prayers.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this, I dont have the experience to advise, but send my prayers and positive thoguht to you and your kitty.

(((hugs)))

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Jeanene. I am so very sorry for you and Chase.

There are too many "theys" in your post for me to really follow what's going on. Has Chase had the surgery and he is at the vet that did the surgery (let's call this vet #2)? What vet is closed? Your vet (let's call this vet #1)? Is vet #2 asking $4500 to just board him overnight, or for the entire DKA treatment?

Is Chase still being treated for DKA? Does he still have ketones and electrolyte imbalances? Is he still on IV fluids and R insulin? More info please. I would not want to bring home a cat who had just had surgery and active DKA. Especially if I had no feeding tube experience.

There are lots here with feeding tube experience. Donna and Shiloh jumps quickly to mind. There are tricks to doing it, including using A/D prescription food, which can be made very smooth. There can be problems with the tube becoming clogged. I suggest you join the Yahoo assisted feeding group. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/

Absolutely good thoughts and prayers for Chase and you.

4. jeanene and chase

jeanene and chase Member

There are too many "theys" in your post for me to really follow what's going on. Has Chase had the surgery and he is at the vet that did the surgery (let's call this vet #2)? What vet is closed? Your vet (let's call this vet #1)? Is vet #2 asking $4500 to just board him overnight, or for the entire DKA treatment?

Is Chase still being treated for DKA? Does he still have ketones and electrolyte imbalances? Is he still on IV fluids and R insulin? More info please. I would not want to bring home a cat who had just had surgery and active DKA. Especially if I had no feeding tube experience.

Sorry - it's been a week - dog had his 2nd and 3rd ever epileptic seizures the same night I was going to take Chase in.
    Chase has not had the surgery yet - I'm trying to figure out whether to just wait until the a.m., but I also have a business meeting tomorrow to try to work around. Vet #1 closes at 8:00 p.m., so I can't get him to vet #2 for the surgery and back before vet #1 closes. Vet #2 is figuring on $3500 to $4500 for 48 hours hospitalization after the surgery. Vet #1 had estimated $1000 approx for hospitalization through today, so a huge difference. Chase still had electrolyte imbalances yesterday, but I don't know if he still had ketones. Still on IV fluids, but they are using my BCP PZI. If I didn't have the meeting to work around tomorrow, this would be a much easier decision. Still waiting for vet #1 to call me back with more details/suggestions. Just wish they'd have told me they couldn't do the surgery when I asked Monday. I thought he just wasn't stable enough yet. My vet is great, but she didn't know they had no tubes in the hospital.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Can Vet #1 buy the tube from Vet #2 (or some other nearby vet) and do the surgery herself in the morning?

If it were my cat, and the vet said he didn't still have ketones, I might take the cat to vet #2 for the surgery yet today and bring him home overnight (making sure I understood how and when to feed). (There's probably little feeding to be done for a few hours post anesthesia.)

And I would pray for the night to pass quickly.

Good luck. Let us know what you do. You know how we worry.

V

6. jeanene and chase

jeanene and chase Member

Chase's ketones are less, but still there. I got vet #1 to let me pick him up early tomorrow to take him to vet #2 hopefully in time to get to my meeting. Then I'll pick him up after the meeting/surgery and take him back to vet #1 unless he is miraculously better.

7. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I hope Chase is better soon.

The feeding tube is a lifesaver. Layla's had one in the past.

Keep us posted and we are sending healing thoughts your way.

Pam & Layla

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Any update on Chase?

9. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm following this tough situation, however, my cat Biscuit (GA) had acute pancreatitis and had both a neck feeding tube followed by a stomach tube. I can help if oyu have questions. Good luck!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.