? Cheapest Alphatrak 2 testing strips?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Panic, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hey all, I am prepared to start home testing my little one. I purchased a Relion Prime recently but after a lot of thinking for my own personal sanity I'd rather be as accurate as possible right now and get an Alphatrak, just so I don't have to stress about potential inaccuracy. I am seeing a lot of alternative strip options but some info seems a bit dated - one thread said that 100 of Freestyle Insulinx on Amazon was $30 which doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

For those that use AT2, can anyone tell me what strips they use, how much for how many, and where they get them?

Also I am seeing a starter kit AT2 on ADW for $42 free shipping, is this a good deal or can I get a meter elsewhere for less?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's about the best deal

Check places like Ebay (make sure to check expiration dates) or there's a new strip out called the PetSure that's supposed to be OK for the AT

Just something to think about.....all our protocols were written using human meters....We are all very familiar with the readings and there's safety built in. At the lower numbers (where it's REALLY important), they are actually pretty close.....below 50 on a human meter is the "time to act"....it's below 68 on the AT

Higher numbers will have more variance, but too high is too high...doesn't really matter if it's 400 or 600

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I did see the PetSure strip going around but was unable to see if they worked well for anyone yet, I'd be very interested in trying that one out if they are accurate. :)

I was thinking about using both types of meters for a bit so I could get the feel of them both, thus being more confident using the human meter by itself ultimately.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

I bought an Alphatrack initially because that was what the vet had and I did not know how expensive the strips were. I have bought Insulinx Freestyle strips for around $45 for 100 from different sellers on Amazon. First batch worked with the AT code fine and had a 3-15 point variance, which I was find with, second batch I was seeing up to. 60 point variance and have yet tp find the right code for those, ended up buying more AT strips just to figure code for cheaper strips, long story short, for me is has become a big hassle. I recently bought a human meter and plan to switch, I still have almost 200 Insulinx strips I need to try and figure the right code for. I have tried 3 codes already with no luck.

The problem with buying the cheaper strips for the AT meter, is you won’t be sure those are accurate either and waste strips trying to figure out which code to use. Some people just leave on whatever code was on the AT strips, but I have seen some with a very big variance and would not feel safe using with wrong code. I got lucky with the first batch, but now I am very sorry I bought the last 200 Insulinx strips that I have not yet been able to use and have since bought an additional $100 worth of AT strips, so much for an effort to save money...

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Also can use human meter for most testing and have AT for backup if you get a crazy number to double check. That is what I plan to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.