Cheapest store to buy Lantus in US?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brittyn, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittyn

Brittyn New Member

Hi everybody,

I'm fairly new here and my cat has been on Lantus for about 1 1/2 weeks. It was $288 at Walmart and was told that is most likely the cheapest store to purchase it. Does anybody else have experience with purchasing it cheaper elsewhere? My cat is currently on 2 mL twice a day and she'll have another glucose curve done in a couple of weeks to see if it needs to be adjusted more. Thank you.

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Check out the Supply Closet here at FDMB, someone almost always has Lantus for sale. I can highly recommend Alan, I have bought Lantus from him a couple of times, he's very nice and very trustworthy.

Jan Radar (GA) and JeffJ like this.
  3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

If you have a Costco, price it there. You do not need to a member to use the pharmacy.

4. Brittyn

Brittyn New Member

Thank you both.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You meant 2.0 units, correct? Many who use Lantus also buy the Solostar pens instead of the vial as they tend to not get wasted. On smaller doses, the vial can go bad before you use all of it :). We use them as mini vials and draw out doses with the syringe.

6. Govies mom (Karen)

Govies mom (Karen) Well-Known Member

I just searched for same answer..and other than the guy Alan on Supply Closet, Rite Aid will sell a single Lantus pen for 110. I also found a free discount pet pharmacy card which is supposed to take 30% off

7. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I bought a single Lantus Pen at Sam's Club for either $83 or $88 plus another $10 or so for the needles. I am a member and I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not.

I know your subject heading says you want to know about cheaper places in the U.S. but in case you didn't know about this, some members here have purchased from this pharmacy in Canada: https://rxcanada4less.com/ I have not myself but I did price it and I think it was $149 for 5 pens. Even with express shipping, I think it beats the U.S. prices.

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

9. Govies mom (Karen)

Yea, I did some research but I really need to trust it.. I mean truth be told I really don't care what I pay as long as I know she's safe I need to know what I'm injecting in my cat. Growing up with a doctor as a dad you can understand my concern. I would be devastated if I got something tainted or whatever.. I look for people's feedback and I don't see a whole lot a few but not as much as I need to be secure. Also I did call Sam's Club in the Philadelphia area and they do not sell the single pens.. they only sell them in the packs

10. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

You might call Sam's back, just in case. I was calling everywhere when my Franklin was diagnosed a few weeks ago. Sam's Club was one of those calls. Then I read somewhere, perhaps on here, that Sam's does sell single pens. So I called them back. The pharmacist said no, we don't...well wait a minute. He put me on hold and came back to tell me there were two pens in the refrigerator. This was just before closing. My vet forgot to put the number of refills on my prescription so I was not able to fill it until the next morning. When I went to pick it up, one of the pharmacists on duty in the morning said they always sell single pens. She knew of someone else who bought singles for her cat. So it might be worth making another call to them or even stopping by the pharmacy if it isn't too far out of your way.

Govies mom (Karen) likes this.
  11. apple

apple Member

Some Wal-Marts will sell singles. We have two in town and one does sell singles and one does not. Techincally they are not to sell singles (any pharmacy is not to sell singles as they are packaged to sell as 1 unit of 5 subsets). That said, in my area, the pharmacist has the discretion to sell singles if they chose. My vet is the one that found /knew the Wal-Mart did it. He actually preferred my purchase if the single pens.
    Worth your time for a phone call.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Since I found Mark's in 2014, the word has spread and I can honestly say I think they've probably filled hundreds of scripts for Lantus or Levemir for sugarcats since then and I haven't heard one negative comment.

I think most of the time, people who post on "website reviews" do it when they are complaining more than when they are happy, which is really too bad because Marks deserves every bit of praise I can give them

As far as buying from a US pharmacy, it's really a matter of hitting the phone book and calling around.....some big name stores will sell singles, some won't (most won't)....hospital pharmacies and pharmacies that deal with nursing home residents are good places to try too

The reason I found Marks in the first place was that nowhere within 150 miles of me would sell me just one pen....I spent almost 5 months calling and not one would split open a pack :( I was within 3 weeks of having to switch China to something cheaper (but not as good) when my Google searches for Canadian pharmacies hit on Marks. All the other Canadian pharmacies had awful reviews so I didn't trust them either. The people at Marks spent over 2 hours on the phone with me answering every question I could think of and weren't even interested in my payment information until they had confirmed my script. I knew they were a stand-up place when they didn't want my credit card information first!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  13. Govies mom (Karen)

Right! Lol yes Mark's Marine was one of the ones I looked at as well they did have one complaint but it didn't have to do with Lantus, but still.. I'm just a mega protective mom over my cats lol

14. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

What pet pharmacy card did you find, if dont mind me asking?

15. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I asked Google about a pet pharmacy card and this site came up: https://www.discountdrugnetwork.com/drug-pricing/ You don't need a card to search the database for prices in the area. When searching for a single Lantus Solostar pen near me, several places came up. The price at the Walmart closest to me is what I paid at Sam's Club so I don't think you need the pet pharmacy card to get the prices. I don't know if the other places actually sell a single pen or not but FYI on at least a searchable database to try and find places.

16. Govies mom (Karen)

It's petdrugcard.com

17. Govies mom (Karen)

The pet Pharmacy card is a discount card in and of itself. That database is just a search engine that searches for you I would rather do the search myself because I don't have faith in those databases. That pet card there's one on that site for Lantus specifically and one that's just a discount card Rite Aid says they accept it. That is supposed to take 30% off of whatever the store is charging for the pen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.