Check Harley's Chart and tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I hadn't realized exactly how lethargic Harley had become until I see him today and realize how badly he must have felt. I guess over the last year or so I just assumed that Harley's age was what had been making him act so tired and lackluster. Now that I see him with his BG more stable I can see a difference in him and he is more like the old Harley.

He is back on the furniture, he grooms himself more and is just more alert in general.

Since I now feed all the cats only wet food and feed them twice a day he is also a lot happier and ready for meal time.

I just started him on methyl b-12 a couple of days ago so I don't know if that will help his front legs or not but I figure it won't hurt.

So far those of you that know about diabetes control with diet. How do his numbers look to you?

Thanks, Donna

2. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hey there,
    My cat was one of the lucky ones that became diet controlled without starting insulin, although the vet wanted to. And I say those numbers are definately looking good to me,(but I'm no expert, only on my experience) like the diet change is working. YAY!!!!!
    My cat also became more active - starting jumping up on things again and like Harley, became her old self and more alert.
    I also kept track of her weight. She started to lose a little and that was a good thing. From what I understand, it's because they actually use the food energy instead of gaining weight on the useless carbs which can lead to diabetes. So maybe you could keep track, just so you know.
    And no, B12 won't hurt - any excess the body doesn't need is excreted in the urine. What's wrong with his front legs?
    Good luck!

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

His numbers look great and they may still continue to come down on their own. At this point, if he were my cat I'd want to continue with the food trial.

4. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Had a thought about this last night - I certainly wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.
    I never tested before feeding. I was more interested in what the numbers were after she ate so I could see how her body was handling the carbs. So why don't you try that? I would be intrested to see what the 90 is an hour or two after he eats. If it goes way, way up, then I would be concerned. I also used the urine test stips so when they started to come up negative, I knew she was in the clear. By then, I had finally gotten a sucessful blood test and it was confirmed.

5. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I think I will try to test him a few times after meals like you said. That is good advice. I have tested a few times after meals but usually 3 hours later. Over this long weekend I will see what I come up with.

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Hey, those recent +3, +4 numbers still look good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.