Checkers Bladder Infection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barb & Checkers (GA), Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Checkers has been diet controlled for the ten months that I’ve been coming to this board. He’s never been on insulin.

His bg has always stayed in the low 100’s, unless he got into the dry that his civvies brother screams for. Yes I know I have no guts.

Two week ago, his bg got into high 200’s and I couldn’t lower it. I diligently watched to see if he was somehow getting food he shouldn’t.
    Watched him for illness, he didn’t act any different. He ate, drank, peed normally.
    Took him to vet, for blood work and urinalysis , and doc tells me, “he has a bladder full of bacteria”. Finally, an answer!
    He’s had four doses of Clav., so far. His bg still hasn’t dropped below 250. I try not to test until 90 min, or so, after a meal. Is that correct?

It occurred to me that I give the Clav in a pill pocket, and checked ingredients.
    Wheat flour, dried corn syrup, corn flour….among other things. Yikes!
    Checkers is very sensitive to small amounts of carbs, even a few grains of dry food will raise it.
    Is it possible that the pill pockets are raising his glucose?
    Does it take more time for the antibiotic to work?

On a lighter note, his doctor told me to keep feeding him the way I am. He said, “you have a good handle on this” He said that diet is 98% of diabetes care.
    When I told him I learned everything from the FDMB, he told me he is very familiar with the website, that several of his clients come here. I was dying to know if I know them on here, but it wasn’t my right to ask.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The pill pockets will tend to raise BGs. It may take awhile for the body to recover from the infection and for the BGs to fall. Additionally, Clavamox may not be the right antibiotic since you did not mention getting sterile urine cultured and a sensitivity (C&S) test performed. You can't really do a C &S when on antibiotics. Thus, if no improvement is seen after the antibiotics are completed another trip to the vet may be in order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.