Checkers will be getting .83 mls Prednisolone 15mg/5 ml

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cat and sweet max, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

...every day, for 72 days. Just picked up the bottle, and was surprised how small it is. The bottle says 50 ml, but is filled above that mark. Is the Math as simple as 60 ml divided by .83 = 72?? It looks like such a small amount. I was cranky when they said it cost $31.19 (thought it would be on the $4 generic list). However, if it lasts that long, I guess the price isn't too bad.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck Cat Keeping you AND Checkers in my prayers.
    j.

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

gee pred is cheap . a big bottle ( even from vets) is only 5 bucks. did the pharmacy compound it or is it a standard liquid?
    this is for checker's Atypical Stomatitis ?
    15mg/5ml --is that right? sounds funny. 3mg/ml and you are dosing her .83 from a syringe of that ?
    so.... that's 2.49ml or roughly the equiv of 1/2 a 5mg tab. a very small dose. how big is checkers?
    any reason she can't get pills -- they can be crushed up in food.
    oh well. it's done. if she needs more I would look for an alternate method of dosing.
    you could even crush up half a pill and make your own suspension w/ tuna juice and syringe that in.
    sigh

I hope it makes her feel better. how's the mouth looking ??

4. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Yes. I was quite surprised and cranking when they said it cost that much. The figures I typed above are accurate. As far as we know, it is standard. Cornell called it in for her. She is doing quite well. She easily eats 3 cans of FF a day, much more that she ever ate. Since the 2nd surgery, the swelling has gone down.

Thank you very much for the moral support. I'm keeping some, and passing the rest on to DD. She is having a tough time with Checkers, and Mandy, whose tumor is growing fast.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Predisone is cheap. Prednisolone is not that cheap.

Note the difference in spelling.

Not heard of a liquid before.

Smokey got his in tablets, which I crushed and mixed into his food...easy.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Norton also had his prednosolone made up into a liquid because we could not pill him. I seem to remember it was similar in price but it was a couple years ago. (between $30-40)

One thing we discovered too late to help him...

BCP Vet Pharmacy has a 5mg Pred treat that you can get in either tuna or liver flavor (I think)

http://www.bcpvetpharm.com/

7. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

This Prednisolone wasn't compounded. It says common brand names are Orapred, Pediapred, and Prelone. DD would have been happy with pills because since her 2nd surgery, Checkers loves to eat. So DD has been putting all her meds in her food. And Checkers doesn't seem to notice. I hope she isn't on it long term. Makes DD and I nervous.

Hugs and Healing,

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

8. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Yes, I did mean prednisolone .
    I think , like every thing else, it depends on where you get it.
    I was told the veterinary tabs are cheap and the human pharm tabs are not.
    I only paid 5 for 30 tabs of prednisolone from specialty vet. ( local doesn't carry it )
    I ordered a 90 day supply from foster and smith . had a discount coupon for ? % off (don't remember the amt.) plus they have free ship on all meds .
    it was a very nice deal.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=9718

9. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Sending tons of green healing light and of course Angels will deliver free of charge ;-) Hope everyone makes a speedy recovery Kath

10. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I always ordered Smokey's Prednisolone from The Medicine Man Pharmacy.

I got my vet to write for 100 tablets, prn (fill Rx as needed).. That way they sent the whole bottle from the
    mfg, and did not have to re-count it into some other quantity. Cheaper that way.

With some places, you can call ahead and find out what the 'optimum' quantity is for a price break.

I usually ordered 200 at a time (save on shipping).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.