Checking glucose level with a glucometer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roe, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roe

Roe New Member

Hello,
    It's been some time since I have been on the website. My cat, Mark Anthony, was diagnosed with diabetes in September of 2018 and has been on insulin. Lately his blood sugar has been low and have have had to give him honey and his insulin has been reduced. Up to this time, I have not been testing him at home.
    On Friday, he had another episode and I tested him Saturday morning using my Dad's glucometer.

I checked on this website and it looks like between 50 - 120 is good using a glucometer for people. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I am having trouble in getting the needle in the correct place - edge f the ear - and consequently, I am having to do it several times. Luckily, he is patient, but I don't want him to keep going through this. Does anyone have suggestions on how to find the right location? The pen I am using has the hole in the middle. Would it be better to not use the pen and put the needle in manually?

Any help would be greatly appreciate! Thanks!

2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I would start by reading this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

There's a pic right at the top.

But to answer your specific questions, yes some people do either hold the lancet directly in their hand, or you can place the lancet in the lancing pen without the plastic cap on it (and you won't use the button on the lancing pen to release it either -- You are using the lancing pen just like a holder for the lancet, which can help if you have any kind of strength or grip issues in your hands).

But I think the biggest thing is to check the gauge of your lancets. If you are using the one that your father uses, it is probably either 30 or maybe even a 33 gauge. The higher the number, the smaller the needle on the Lancet. For a new diabetic cat, you would be better going with a lower gauge lancet because the needle itself will be larger and will poke a slightly larger hole. I would look for Lancets marked as being for "alternate site testing" and a gauge of 26 or 28 to start. And also read the part about using a sock filled with rice to make sure that his ears are warm enough. That can absolutely make all the difference in the world as well.

For the normal range, 50-120 certainly good, but I would concentrate more on what numbers he should NOT be st this point...and that is that he should NOT be below 50. That is what we call the "take action" number (one intervention is required and he could be in danger). I suggest you read the sticky notes at the top of this section:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/
    For other specific questions, you would be better off posting them for in the main forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ or in the group for the insulin that you use.

I strongly suggest you start testing now and let us know what kind of numbers you are seeing so we know if we should be immediately concerned. Minimally, start with testing before every shot, and if you can, six hours after the shot is given, or when you go to bed, or whenever you have concerns. But then also think seriously about doing a "curve", which is just an easy way of saying that you will test every 2 to 3 hours for a 12 hour period starting immediately before a shot (usually the morning shot unless you are a night owl and want to stay up all night).

I hope that helps. Clearly home testing is really necessary for Mark Anthony now that you have experienced hypoglycemic events first hand. And welcome back. We'll help you keep Mark Anthony safe. It sounds like his dose maybe needs to be reduced after doing diligent home testing to see where he is. :bighug:

Best,
    Sandi&Whisper

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Definitly try it without the device. It's easier to aim

4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

How are things going with Mark Anthony?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.