Checking in

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Amanda Weaver, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

We are completing our second week of home testing since diagnosis at the beginning of the month. I lowered her dosage on my own against vets orders (from 1 to .5). I am bad about getting mid cycle bg tests. I have also been skipping some dosage on lower numbers. Anyone more experienced with Prozinc- is everything looking good at this stage? Can someone check out my spreadsheet and let me know if there's anything I need to know? We also started cyclosporine this weekend for an eosinophilic granuloma. So far it doesn't seem to be messing up her numbers. Thank you!!!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The pre shot numbers look good. I suggest you try to get some mid cycle tests to see the full effect of the insulin though.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. Your spreadsheet looks great! I would just advise being more consistant by sticking with the same dose and not skipping shots.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! Great preshots! I agree with Kris...I'd get some mid cycles whenever you can (and that doesn't just mean nadir...it could be a +2 or +3 before bed or on the way out of the house...or ANY numbers you can grab really) so we can see where the insulin takes her.

Personally I disagree about not skipping shots...I think you've made good decisions on the days that you skipped. If shoot on such low preshots, you'd need to be around to make sure that the insulin didn't drop her too low since those low 100s (like that 105 yesterday) are really normal BG numbers for a non diabetic cat.

5. Amanda Weaver

Amanda Weaver New Member

Yeah that's my problem with deciding to shoot low- she is alone from am shot to pm shot 5 days a week while I'm at work. So I've been skipping when I know I won't be there to watch. Before I was debating skipping on days under 140, but it seems ok to shoot around 115-120 and up with her low dose. I don't want to go back to the full 1u anymore. She has a vet curve in a couple weeks and another check up on her mouth sore.

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I agree with Rachel that it's better at these numbers to skip on lower pre-shots. I would even be careful shooting 0.5u under 140 since you don't have data to show that it's safe. At these numbers I would err on the side of caution, and try really hard to get in a few extra tests, especially on weekends. There's really no reason to do a curve at the vet when her stress will elevate the numbers. You can do it at home for free and have much more accurate results.

Your data on 8j/15 and 8/19 shows that she is probably an early nadir kitty, so a +3 before bed could be a helpful test for knowing how low she's getting on the current dose. Is there that much time between evening pre-shot and bedtime?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.