Checking In

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry and Kitties, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have taken a break from the board to be with my kitties more. My oldies Mitten and Bailey are not doing well.

Mitten has been loosing weight even though she was eating great so I brought her in for a checkup. Her insulin needs have also been going way down.Blood work did not show any problems. A urine analysis showed bacteria so started on Amoxi Drops since she tolerated that in the past. It ended up adversely effecting her appetite so I had to syringe feed her almost all the time. The appetite stimulate Mirtazapine helped some. After two weeks still bacteria in urine. Switched to Baytril which she tolerated well. After two weeks no bacteria in urine and she is eating fine. Her insulin needs are maybe 0.2 to 0.0 units of U insulin. One day she was 246 AM and I gave 0.1 units but she was 46 PM. I started weekly B12 shots a few weeks ago and started budesinide sid this las Thursday.

Bailey is eating less and recently I have been syringe feeding him too. At least he is easy to syringe feed compared to Mitten. If Mitten was not declawed in the front I do not think I could syringe feed her. He has been on B12 and budesinide for about two years based results from a GI blood panel. He act fine but is loosing weight.

When the about was going on, patches decided she did not want to eat either. I had to syringe feed her for about three days. She is doing fine now.

Everybody else is going fine. Twigie only needs insulin 3-5 times weekly.

I am pet sitting for Martha's Hettie and civi Peek-A-Boo next month.

2. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Wow syringe feeding three cats is a lot of work!
    Sounds like Mitten could be OTJ if he gets well again. :smile:

3. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Oh Larry, I'm so sorry everyone has been sick at the same time. I don't know how you do it, because I'm overwhelmed when one is sick.
    I hope everyone is eating on their own soon so you can get a break.

Hang in there.
    Pam

4. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

So nice that you are helping others as well. :)

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Crossing all paws for your babies (((((((((((((((((((LARRY)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I hope they feel better soon!

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I second what the last poster said. I pray for a quick and speedy recovery for everyone. *HUGS*

7. cjleo

cjleo Member

Larry,

So glad to hear that Twigy is doing well. Always wonder how diabetic rescues make out in their permanent homes.

Hope your other babies get better soon.

Claudia

8. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

good to hear from you, larry. i'm sorry you are having to go through this.
    hope everyone is doing great soon so you can be back on the board and have an easier time of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.