Checking in

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mphair84, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Tuffy hit his first green markva couple days ago! However, since then he's been sort of off??

Basically, I'm just checking in to see what I should be doing. I was thinking on waiting to see if they even out. Yesterday he was in the green, so I skipped his AMPS. He was high that night, but he wasn't super high this morning.

I was hoping a more experienced person could point me in the right direction.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think you did the right thing last night. Tuffy is a volatile kitty and the ups and downs are part of that. It makes dosing mnore difficult and those unexpected dives will be part of what he does. You're handling it well. :)

Yes, they can feel "off" when they drop low and bounce back up. Sometimes it's because their body isn't accustomed to the low but it can also be the spikes and dives that make them feel unwell.

I'd get a +2 today to see where he's heading.

3. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

Unfortunately, I leave at 7. I can do one tonight. I was gone last weekend, so I couldn't get information, but this weekend u will get some more numbers.

I was thinking the AM green was because the effects of the PMPS lasted longer the night before, then he bounced from being so low.

Will he always be so "spikey" or will it settle more? I suppose it's hard to tell.

4. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it's hard to tell. Some kitties smooth out. Some do better on a depot insulin like Lantus. My cat is very "spikey" and we've been through ProZinc, Levemir and Lantus. He does best on Lantus but is still tricky and I've been at this over three years.

Mphair84 likes this.
  5. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

So I just updated my SS. He was 116 and I already stalled. I gave him 1/2 unit. I don't know if that would be too much, BUT I'm home and I can monitor him. Plus, tomorrow I'm not going in so early so I can get a +2, and +5.

Question 1: Insulin should be 12 hrs apart but you can get away with 1hr before or after without messing the schedule, HOWEVER, when stalling and u wait a half HR or 1hr does that include the 12 hr leadway? What I mean is if I test the cat at 7 and it's too low do I wait a half HR?

Question 2: is it possible that since Tuffy isn't eating as much his BG levels won't be as high?

6. Kris & Teasel

I think that was a good dose to try.

Q1: If you stall up to an hour you can then give the next dose at its usual time which will be 11 hours later. It isn't a problem. So - if you test at 7 PM and decide to stall 30 minutes, the next dose comes 11 hours and 30 minutes later.

Q2: Less food *can* lead to slightly lower BGs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Mphair84 likes this.
  7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think I might try lowering your dose back to 2u, or maybe a "fat" 2u. It looks like 2.25u is a little too much right now. :)

8. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I can lower it in the morning. I was thinking that I probably should because the blues at the PMS.

For a bit he was eating a lot, but now his body has settled and he's not eating so much.

I wish he'd even out more and not be so jumpy. I know that it's going to take awhile and I have to look at the big picture, but it's so... exhausting. Every time I think I get it I end up a little bit more confused.

If I don't adjust the does (don't worry, I will) then he's probably going to to keep needing me to stall every PMPS. Correct? Then it's going to be an even more battle because I'm going keep adjusting the dose and his body will keep adjusting to the numbers. Am I following?

I can adjust it to 2u, then watch and hopefully after a few days I will see more consistent numbers.

9. Djamila

Yes, exactly. The goal is two even shots/day. Given your AMPS this morning, looks like you would have needed to lower a little anyway :)

Rachel likes this.
  10. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

It always feels good when I'm following something! :)

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Djamila

Yikes! What's with the AMPS this morning?!?! Did he eat birthday cake before testing time? ;)

12. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I know! I even tested twice. I think it was because he got lower the night before earlier on.

This morning he wasn't as high. This is the hard part, seeing the higher numbers and knowing that they can go lower on a higher dose.

13. Djamila

You are getting a really good insulin response, but Tuffy sure is a bouncy one! Did he just start insulin in December when you joined? Or has he been on Prozinc longer than that?

14. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I answered this on the other thread. I'm sorry I missed this.

15. Djamila

No worries. I miss things all the time around here! :bighug:

Mphair84 likes this.