Chester and Rita

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chester and Rita, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester and Rita

Chester and Rita New Member

Hello! I'm new to this so, bear with us. Chester suffers from Hyperesthesia Syndrome and is taking Gabapentin. If he doesn't get that medication, he gets very violent with his tail and has chewed on it to the point of bleeding and scabs. For the longest time, I didn't know what was wrong with him for his anal glands were full and I thought that was the reason for trying to bite his own behind. Little did I know about Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome. Just last year he had one of his anal gland removed due to Adenocarcinoma cancer. He seemed to be doing fine up until Wednesday when he was diagnosed with mellitus diabetes. I'm financially and emotionally exhausted. Chester has to be sedated at the vet for them to even touch him. How am I supposed to give him insulin shots?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Reason for edit: Help
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome and of course we will bear with you. We all started out being new to this! :):cat: Tell us about Chester, and how we can help.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Poor Chester:( we can help you get him desensitized to shots as well as testing. Come to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about your situation. Include what you’re feeding, what kind and what dose of insulin Chester is on and if you have any other concerns.

4. Idjit's mom

Rita, I suggest you create a signature (the gray text that is attached to and beneath our responses to you). The signature is going to inform viewing and responding members important and pertinent information about Chester. It's easy and can be updated/changed at any time. Here is a link to
    Sorry, bum link. Hope you got info in PM.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Reason for edit: Correction and additions.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Poor Chester. Welcome to you both. You will get a lot of advice and support here.

6. Chester and Rita

Chester and Rita New Member

Thank you! Chester is doing well on his second day. I'm hopeful. He's back to his old self except now he's acting like he's starving to death. Should I give him more food? It's Saturday and there are no vet's open and I don't know who else to ask....

7. Idjit's mom

Rita, I urge you to post your questions in the Main Forum, this forum is essentially a Welcome mat on the porch. More members are going to see and be able to respond. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Also, members are going to need as much information about Chester as you can provide. Please create a signature that will be appended to all your posts:

Editing your Profile and Signature
    In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Personal Details:
    If there is a small image you would like to use as an Avatar, click on the Avatar box.
    The picture should be at least 200*200 pixels.

Indicate gender, if you wish it to be known.
    Optionally fill in your birth date; you can check if you want it to show year or not.

Fill in as much location as you would like known.
    Fill in Occupation if you would like it known.
    If you have a home web page, you may enter that.
    You may indicate when you joined FDMB.

In About You, fill in any details you would like to share.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    There is a limit of 2 hard returns; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Contact Details.
    This section lets you customize what communications you receive.
    Adjust those you wish to alter.

Continue through the section list of
    Privacy
    Preferences
    Alert Preferences
    People You Follow
    People You Ignore
    Password

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Reason for edit: Add comments
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.