? Chester dosing.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AJay, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJay

AJay Member

hiya.. Mr Ches is home. :)

Loooong story and I'll update later, but he's VERY happy to be home.

I have a q re dosing.

Vet has put him up to 3.5u but even on fluids and temp normal, his bg's still haven't come down at all :( 20's and 30's

Before all of this inflammation n high temp stuff, his sweet spot SEEMED to be 2.75.

So stick at 3.5u or reduce??

Due to shoot shortly so if I've not heard, I'll shoot at 3.5u tonight

He's currently 31.3

2. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Here's what I think. My guesstimate is that His bgs are climbing,( I know that originally they were high due to infection) because I believe the dose is too high and he's bouncing like a - Tigger (lol).
    I think the dose needs reduced to a lower one - reset to the one that worked previously to see if that's the case.

Or he's just not reacting to vetsulin the way he should be and a change of insulin should be considered if the above doesn't work?

Throwing that out there.

AJay likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Really hard to know. It could well be bouncing. If he's past the infection and doing OK try 2.75 u for a couple of days to see what happens. Monitor for ketones too. If you do try a different insulin I suggest you lobby for Lantus.

AJay likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more! If Ches had no other issues going on he would probably do fine with the Vetsulin, but since he has so many other things he's dealing with, I think a gentler, longer-lasting insulin would be easier on both him and you. :bighug:

Beth 73, AJay and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. AJay

AJay Member

Ches just isn't coming down on this dose..
    33.6 :(

So the vets idea of starving him between shots doesn't work...

Any ideas?

6. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yeah, starving him between shots...no, just no. Some kitties just need higher doses of insulin. I know it can be very frustrating when you see others whose kitties have near"perfect" bg levels on just a drop or two of insulin but, in reality, there's an awful lot of us whose kitties need a good bit more insulin just to get below 200, lol! My guy is on a "skinny" 2 units right now and is doing really well, but he has been on much higher doses in the past, when he wasn't doing so well. Personally, I would talk to the vet about switching Ches to a longer-lasting insulin like Lantus or Levemir. I don't normally say this but in his case, I think he would do better on one of them.

AJay likes this.
  7. AJay

AJay Member

@Squalliesmom

You have NO idea of the full blown arguments I've had with them :(

They won't budge on insulin. Moving vets is NOT an option sadly. We're just not flush with them.

I just keep coming back to him being pretty good at 2.75 pre inflammation etc

I'm having to tread a bit carefully with the vet to slowly get what I want..

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. AJay

AJay Member

@Kris & Teasel Dropping from 3.5 to 2.75 is quite a drop. Would I be better doing it in stages?

Vet sent Ches home with a note of wanting him on 3.5 for a week. I think these high numbers are what are causing the complications we are having :(

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Caninsulin is an in and out insulin so you can do that drop in one go. I'd try the 2.75 u for a couple of days to see what happens. That'll leave you with 5 days at 3.5 u if you want to satisfy the vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.