Chester's in remission!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chester and Rita, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester and Rita

Chester and Rita New Member

Monday was the best news I've had in a long time...Remission. I have been battling chronic diarrhea for the last 5 months and nothing was working. Chester had an anal gland removed due to cancer and diagnosed with diabetes several months later. It all started when I brought him in for his 6 month check up. Chest x-rays showed he had pneumonia. Then he started sneezing and had nasal discharge so, more antibiotics. That's when the diarrhea started. It went on for months and my vet didn't tell about Metronidozle, I had to do my own research and I was the one who ordered him to get it. It worked great at first but the problem came back. Then the vet told me to put him on Atopica (cyclosporine) which is also prescribed for inflammatory bowel disease. I said I didn't want to use that drug because it caused cancer and is NOT for cats who are suspected of malignancy or have had a malignancy (says it right on the box and it's expensive as hell)! Well, I was running out of tricks and I gave in. Cyclosporine made his diarrhea worse so, I did some more research since I was starting to think my vet is a quack. Looking up gastrointestinal problems can come from hormonal imbalances and since insulin is a hormone...bingo! After more x-rays, blood work, serum profile, and $730 later, I found out the 2 tests that he should have told me about could have saved me a lot of heartache and money! They're the fructosamine (tells you the BG for last 2 weeks) and a Lipase test (checks the pancreas function). For only $130 I could have found out that Chester didn't need insulin anymore! That guy is sooo fired! I'm so happy and I hope this sheds some light on a similar problem someone out there might be having. You really have to be diligent on doing your own research because a lot of vet's (in my own personal experience) just want to hand out drugs like human doctors. So, be careful of them!

Galaxy (GA) and Anne MacLaren like this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you home test him you can make sure he stays in remission. My cat was in remission for a year until she suddenly was high again.

3. Chester and Rita

I can't home test him. That was the point of my research to get the fructosamine test. He has to be sedated at the vet just to touch him and the glucose meter I bought was a huge waste of money. Trust me when I say, I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING. When the quack told me to "keep an eye on him", I thought, DUH! If it weren't for me he would have put him to sleep already. I'm not delusional though, I know this is not the cure. I'm just happy for a little while, but thanks.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I understand. You've done great

5. Chester and Rita

I'm just a bit stressed from interviewing new veterinarians. I don't mean to be grumpy. I'm still battling the intestinal problem. Thank you all for understanding....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.