CHF?, CRF, and hyperthyroid, oh my.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ebuckley, Jul 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

Hi all, been lurking quietly lately and, now, sorry to be off topic, but...

Anyone with experience with CHF? Nomi (Napa's civvie sister) was hospitalized while we were traveling with respiratory distress. We're home now and she is very weak but eating, grooming, and peeing. On lasix and enalapril as well as a course of antibiotics just in case it was only bronchitis.

Presumed congestive heart failure (CHF) based on x-ray, but we haven't had an echo yet. Just wondering what to expect, what I should watch out for, what to press the vet on, etc. Any recommendations from those who've been there would surely be appreciated.

Just an update on Napa...still OTJ since Feb. but has since had bad kidney labs and thyroid labs (and classic hyperthyroid behavior). Feline CRF has been very helpful. Going to vet next week for recheck of labs before starting thyroid pills. From what I understand, getting the thyroid down may exacerbate the kidney problems.

What a year with these 13 year old sweeties!

Wish y'all all the best with your kids.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, treating thyroid can unmask worse renal function. A hyperthyroid cat is pushing fluid through the kidneys faster than a normal cat and this partially compensates for the weakened kidney function. Be cautious about treatment, maybe undershoot a bit because of the kidneys.

Renal failure after I-131 treatment is what killed my civvie Emmy. They didn't warn me what to watch for and I missed some subtle cues. She was 19 when she passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.