Chico - 2yr Male Cat recently diagnosed with diabetes :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tizi_C, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Hi,

My 2 year old long haired cat Chico has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. He weighs 6.6kg, he's a big cat so isn't overweight.
    On the 26th June 2015 he went through a major operation because he swallowed a foreign object which couldn't pass through his intestines and therefore underwent a gastro intestinal operation which luckily enough he recovered well from.
    It was on this day that he had his first blood test and found his glucose level high + bad liver. Vet said it might be because of what he was going through being sick and that this had to be monitored in future.
    Last Saturday 19th September 2015 I took Chico for his follow up blood test and results showed his liver is better but glucose is very high up to 20.1 mmol/L and range should be between 2.9-8.3 meaning his is more than double.
    Vet recommended to start medicated food and gave me 2 types of canned food DM Purina and M/D Hills + dry food M/D Hills.
    I started this food for him on Sunday but he doesn't seem to eat much of it and I am worried he will loose a lot of weight. Vet informed me he is to eat 2 cans and he is eating between half or 1 can or rarely a bit more. Today I gave him some dried food at least he eats something.
    I need to take a sample of his urine in mid October so she can check glucose levels again but with this rate with him not eating medicated food I really doubt things will improve.
    I can say he is stressed as we have another cat and they don't get along so we alternate them during the day to run around and I know stress won't help.
    Any suggestions how i could move on as i am going crazy ?? Can I mix some chicken with his canned medicated food ?? or any suggestions I will appreciate.

Thanks
    Tiziana

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Tiziana ~ glad you found this site as the people here are really experienced with feline diabetes and can help. Sorry about Chico. First, the prescription food the vet recommended are very high in carbs which is not good for our sugar cat. Also, they are very expensive and there are a lot of choices that are cheaper. A lot of us here feed our diabetic cats Fancy Feast and 9 lives. You want the carbs to be under 10% . Here's a link that you will find helpful when choosing foods.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-lisas-food-charts.88162/

Did your vet talk to you about putting Chico on insulin or just wants to try a diet change first?

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Tiziana and Chico. I started my cat on the Purina DM & Hill MD too, and he wouldn't eat them either. I changed him to the Fancy Feast Classics and he gobbles that up. You can test his glucose levels at home with a cheap human blood glucose meter. It's easy to do, and if you decide to do that we can help you learn how. Just ask.

4. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Hi, thank you for your reply. Vet wants to try with a diet change first as Chico is a bit hard to handle so not sure he'll let me give him insulin injections. Will need to see if i find these food brands locally here in Malta. So you all suggest i change his food to Fancy Feast Classics? Shall i inform vet before i do so?

5. Bobbie And Bubba

The vets push these prescription diets on our cats. They are terrible diets for them, just too high is carbs. If it were me, I would switch to a lower carb food. If you tell the vet that you are doing that, be prepared for he or she to try and talk you out of it. Unfortunately, the vets do not know enough about nutrition for the diabetic cats. They go by the propaganda that these RX food companies give them. Most people here are not using those vet prescribed foods.

6. Sharon14

Like Bobbie says, A lot of vets don't like the over the counter foods, but we have all found that they work better than the prescription foods. If they don't have Fancy Feast in Malta, any low carb, wet food-usually Pate type-will do. Since Chico is hard to handle, you can get urine test strips at the pharmacy to check his glucose yourself. Get the kind that also checks for ketones. That way you'll know how he's reacting to the food change. Not sure how quickly a blood glucose change is reflected in the urine

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  7. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

I want the best for my kitty so i will give him the best even if buying his food online is the only option. Any Fancy Feast food or does it have to be the classic type ? [​IMG]

8. Sharon14

The classic type only. The chicken you pictured is good also turkey and giblets. You can use some fish, but not too often because of mercury content. I give my cat some of the salmon about once a week.

9. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Just went through table to check food my vet prescribed and found that Purina DM wet food is 3% carbs so should be good i guess?

Purina DM - Protein - 39 Fat - 58 Carbs - 3 Kcals - 263

the other food m/d is high so i'll try give him this less

Hill's m/d - Protein 46 Fat - 41 Carbs - 14 Kcals - 171

I will try find Fancy Feast Classic to have more variety.

10. Sharon14

I would cut out the high carb stuff altogether. You said he doesn't like it much anyway. From what I understand Hills food is guaranteed. They should refund your money, even after it's been opened.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

I did not realize that the Purina DM was that low, I checked too and that is what the chart said. So, 3% is good. Since you all ready bought it, you might as well use it. And then purchase other low carbs that are cheaper for you later such as Fancy Feast or any other ones on the chart 10% or lower. The other one is too high in carbs and I personally would not give to my diabetic cat. Some of the more experienced people here will weigh in I am sure to guide you with other things too. :bighug:

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

ok i will try make him get to eat the Purina DM as i only just purchased 17 cans yesterday .... is it ok if i cook some chicken and cut a few pcs in his food to make him it ?

Sharon14 likes this.
  13. Bobbie And Bubba

Absolutely. You are a good kittie mama to cook for your baby! If he won't eat the Purina DM, try buying some of the ones on the chart. Hopefully, you can find some of the lower carb in Malta. Keep us posted.

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Also, you could try sprinkling a bit of parmesan cheese over the food too to make it more inviting for him.

15. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

I never cooked for him but I'm looking for the best solutions to make him eat will try cheese too

Sharon14 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  16. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Just came home and did some homework re. Hills m/d canned food.

Chart says that Carbs is 14% so i came home to check values.

Notes say to get carbs value u need to - Add moisture + protein + fat + fiber + ash and subtract that total from 100% to give carbs value image.jpeg

So i found nutirional value for m/d food and these are

Moisture 75.2%, protein 13.1%, fat 4.8%, fiber 1.5% and ash 1.5% totaling to 96.1% which would make carbs 3.9% therefore should be good for diabetes as its low value am i right or am i doing wrong calculations??

image.jpeg

17. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Can anyone help check and confirm what i wrote above plz??

18. Sharon14

Hi Tiziana, sorry I didn't answer you when you asked, it's just that I'm not sure.
    @BJM may know

19. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

"While most canned foods are low in carbohydrates, the Hill's Science Diet line of canned foods are notable exceptions. Many of these foods (both the prescription and non-prescription foods) are very high in carbohydrates and are not diets that I would recommend feeding.

For the math-inclined, I have added a section below showing two methods to roughlycalculate the percentage of carbohydrates in food. You can skip this section if you plan to use the Cat Food Composition chart or plan to call the company for more accurate 'typical nutrient analysis' values.

dry matter

• As a percentage of calories
    When determining the carbohydrate content of a food, method 2 and 3 will yield roughly the same number.

Even though it is preferable to discuss nutrition in terms of the percentage of calories that a nutrient provides, most pet food manufacturers list their products' nutrients in the form of percentage of weight.

Nutrient information may be listed in two different formats on the manufacturers' websites. One is the guaranteed analysis (GA) figures (should be on all websites and on the side of the actual can of food). However, as discussed above, GA values are only minimums and maximums and can be very misleading.

The other format is the actual measurement of the ingredients in one (or more) sample of the food. These values more accurately reflect what is in the product.

Even though the GA values are not terribly accurate, they can provide a roughguesstimation of the contained nutrients.

To calculate the approximate weight of the carbohydrate in a food, add up the values for moisture, protein, fat, fiber, and ash and subtract this value from 100%. Here is an example from the PetGuard website for their Organic Chicken and Vegetable Entree:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Crude Protein 9.0% Min
    Crude Fat 7.0% Min
    Crude Fiber 1.0% Max
    Moisture 78.0% Max
    Ash 2.3% Max

If we add up the above figures, and then subtract this value from 100%, we come up with a rough idea of the carbohydrate content of this food:3%.

But we are not finished yet. The value of 3% needs to be converted to a 'dry matter basis' (DMB) for accuracy. This calculation takes the water component out of the equation and then allows values for canned and dry foods to be comparable.

For the DMB value, we see that there is 78% water in this food. That leaves 22% as dry matter. If we take our 3% and divide it by 22% we come up with 14% carbohydrates (by weight) on a dry matter basis. With further calculations (see below) to compute the calories from carbohydrates, we come up with a value of 11%.

Calculating the percentage of calories from the carbohydrate part of the dietcan be done with a few equations (shown below).

Again, less than 10% of a carnivore's calories should be derived from a carbohydrate source.

When calculating the percentage of calories derived from the proteins, fats and carbohydrates we use the figures of 3.5 calories contributed by every gram of carbohydrate. For every gram of protein, 3.5 calories are provided and for every gram of fat, 8.5 calories are added.

For these calculations, you don't have to worry about converting the values to DMB since the water content does not matter when looking at the percent-of-calories issue. (You must stay consistent, however, by using all figures leaving the water in [as fed or "wet weight"], or using all figures taking the water out [DMB]) This is the nice thing about 'percent calories' values - you can compare canned and dry food and not worry about the vastly different moisture content of the two types of foods.

We will use the PetGuard example above - keeping in mind the limitations for accuracy when using GA numbers:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Crude Protein 9.0% Min
    Crude Fat 7.0% Min
    Crude Fiber 1.0% Max
    Moisture 78.0% Max
    Ash 2.3% Max

We see that 9% of this food is made up of protein (9 grams of protein per 100g of food) so 9 X 3.5 = 31.5 calories from protein. Repeating the calculation for the 7% fat, we get 7 X 8.5 = 59.5 calories and from our calculations above, we know that this food is 3% carbohydrates. 3 X 3.5 = 10.5 calories from carbohydrates.

31.5 + 59.5 + 10.5 = 101.5 total calories per 100 grams of food

To calculate the percentage of overall calories from each food source, divide each amount by the total calories:

Protein: 31.5 divided by 101.5 = 31%

Fat: 59.5 divided by 101.5 = 59%

Carbohydrate: 10.5 divided by 101.5 = 10%

To double-check your math, add up the percentages to make sure they equal 100%.

31% + 59% + 10% = 100%

Now.....go take some aspirin. :>)"

This is from Dr. Pierson's article, also. Click the highlighted link Commercial Canned Foods at www.catifo.org for the full article.

20. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Wow, Lucy, good job!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Squalliesmom

It seems that very few people, vets included, really understand feline nutritional needs, especially those of diabetic cats. I knew nothing about them until my cat was diagnosed with diabetes, I just figured if it had good recommendations, or the vet suggested it, it must be good for them!

23. Squalliesmom

Thanks! :)

24. Bobbie And Bubba

I have been sitting here studying this ( and math is not my thing and I do need an aspirin. So, with all this above, what is the best to go with, dry or as fed for our sugar cats? I am so confused.....

25. Squalliesmom

Again from Dr. Pierson's site, following the link to Cat Food Composition:

"I recommend that the reader ignore the Dry Matter Basis data and just focus on the Calorie values – the frst 4 columns. Most nutritionists prefer to consider nutrients on an energy (calorie) basis but dry matter figures are included for those readers who prefer to evaluate foods on a DMB. Going forward in this document's dialog, I will be referring to calorie basis, not DMB."

Personally, I would not give Hill's m/d to my kitty, I consider it too high in carbs for my diabetic boy.

26. Bobbie And Bubba

It's all very confusing. I called Wellness and they gave me AS FED values and DRY. They were different from Dr. Pierson's chart. If I subtracted the dry from the As Fed it was just about the values she had on her chart. I understand why they differentiate, to compare dry to wet, but gee whiz .....so confusing....

27. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I could be wrong but her chart hasn't been updated in a while for some foods, and I think Wellness has changed their foods in the last 3 yrs.

28. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@Bobbie And Bubba if you can give me the AS FED values I can calculate them for you. I'm on a project for Canadian pet parents trying to get values from manufacturers and have a spreadsheet I got from Eliz & Bertie so it's pretty quick for me to do.

I need moisture, protein, fat, ash and fibre.

The values can often be expressed as PERCENTAGE of CALORIES from Carbs, very different from the actual AMOUNT of carbs in, say, 100g of food. It's important to know what number you are getting.

For sure it's worth checking with the manufacturer from time to time. As SpecklesandMe said, they can change formulations and they don't even have to tell anyone.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
  29. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Tizi, here is what I got from the values you gave, but it's important to know, as others have already said, these are AS FED or "guaranteed analysis" If they are AS FED, then here is the calculation:

Screen Shot 2015-09-25 at 7.13.38 PM.png

So this food is actually a bit high at 13.6% calories from carbs.

All the 3.9 means is that for every 100g of food there are 3.9 grams of carbs in it.

Hope that helps!

P.S. you can drive yourself nuts using the food tables - lots of us download to a smartphone and shop with it. Personally I think your best bet is to look at the ingredient label. If it has peas or corn or wheat or lots of rice and/or veggies, pass on it.

Here is the ingredient list I found online:

Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets DM Dietetic Management Formula Canned Cat Food
    Liver, poultry by-products, meat by-products, water sufficient for processing, chicken, salmon, oat fiber, salmon meal, artificial and natural flavors, guar gum, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, carrageenan, salt, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, thiamine mononitrate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets DM Dietetic Management Savory Selects Formula Canned Cat Food
    Water sufficient for processing, chicken, liver, wheat gluten, meat by-products, corn starch-modified, soy flour, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, taurine, salt, choline chloride, added color, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  30. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Wow so none of the food vet gave me is good. I thought only the hills m/d had high carbs and the purina dm was okay but now you are saying it also has high carbs

I'm really going crazy now. Tried finding fancy feast/wellness/9lives here in malta but unfortunately till now didn't find any.

What do you think about the brand Applaws?

Thanks

31. Squalliesmom

I order Fancy Feast online (because I go through such large quantities if it), I don't know if ordering pet foods online is an option for you? Just thinking you might have access to a wider range of products that way?

SpecklesandMe and Tizi_C like this.
  32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Here is an online calculator which can estimate the calories from each of protein, fat, and carbohydrate.
    Plug the package numbers in to get the calories.
    Divide the calories from carbohydrate by the total calories
    Multiply by 100 to get an estimate of the percent of calories from carbohydrate.

You may use this to check what you have available in Malta.

You might be interested in the raw food recipe at Cat Info.

Tizi_C likes this.
  33. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  34. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

the dry matter carbs - is this the value for dry food?

35. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

It is very important to note that Applaws is NOT considered a complete cat food and is recommended only for supplemental feeding in the U.S. (does not meet AAFCO requirements). To my knowledge, Applaws does not have any added essential vitamins or taurine. I would not feed it by itself long term. The Applaws cans I've bought in the past are literally just chicken and broth (like you would make at home) or chicken and rice with nothing else in it.
    Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I don't know if it's marketed as complete food in the U.K.

36. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

so what do you think about Nature's variety, Purina One Pate and Perle Gourmet Gold Pate' ??

37. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I know some people on here do use Nature's Variety. Maybe they can advise.
    Which flavor of Purina One Pate? I'll try to look up the carb counts for you. I haven't heard of Perle.

38. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Purina One Pate Chicken, Turkey, Beef flavours

Gourmet Gold is this below:

IDShot_540x540.jpg

re. Nature's Variety was planning to try buy the Instict - Grain Free type - flavours chicken, beef, lamb, duck

thanks,

39. Squalliesmom

I use NV Instinct Raw, the chicken bites, and my cats all seem to do well with it. I mix it with a little Fancy Feast -I never thought my cats would eat raw- and they chow down! I only use the chicken because of my IBD kitty, so I can't speak about the other flavors.

40. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

i am finding soooo difficult to find food for my poor baby here in Malta....all these brands you are mentioning here FF, Wellness, 9Lives etc. are all brands made for US and are not imported here in Malta unfortunately. Before choosing the option of buying these online i would like an opinion on below.

I found a pet shop that sell's Nature's Menu brand food - has anyone ever used this product ? i want to know if it's okay to give him this ? I am attaching picture of chicken flavour pouch and the calculations for carbs.

description of food: Made with 96% free range chicken, this delicious complete food for cats is gently steamed in it's packaging to lock in goodness. With added superfoods including cranberry and spirulina, and totally grain and gluten free. Perfect for allergy sensitive cats.

Nature's menu - Chicken.jpg

appreciate your advice and help anyone.

thanksss

41. Squalliesmom

42. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Here are the ingredients from their website...

Composition: Chicken (75%), Chicken Heart (21%), Raspberry (1%), Cranberry (1%), Spirulina (0.5%), Catnip (0.01%), Yucca Extract, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Rosemary Extract.

Analytical Constituents:
    Protein 10.7%, crude fibre 0.3%, crude oils and fats 6.2%, crude ash 2.5%, moisture 79%

Additives (per kg):
    Vitamin A 3000iu, Vitamin D3 200iu, Vitamin E 30mg. Trace Elements: Zinc sulphate monohydrate 15mg, Manganese sulphate monohydrate 3mg, Calcium iodate 0.75mg, Sodium selenite 0.03mg.

43. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

exactly so with these values product should be good right ? as carbs would be 1.29% = 5

44. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

The goal is a food with <10% carbs- so I think that looks good, but I haven't used the online calc before. Maybe a more experienced opinion would be worth getting? I'll tag @BJM

45. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

5 calories from carbohydrate /96 total calories * 100 = 5.21% of calories from carbohydrate.

46. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

ok got it thanks a lot.

47. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

hi people,

things with chico are not so good. yesterday he only ate half a can of food and prefers to starve himself than eat his medicated food although i mixed it with other normal food.
    as i still have a few cans of his medicated DM food and knowing he is not eating it much i bought some nature's menu pouches chicken/turkey flavour and mixed but he still hates it and didn't eat it. I also cooked some chicken and cut some parts in his food....he ate it but not so happily poor him.

it shows that he is very hungry because he keeps coming to his bowl smells food and leaves so this morning when he came up near me i just got up and changed his food completely gave him a can of tuna/mackerel applaws brand (that is what i had available) and in less than 5 mins it was gone.

would really appreciate help as i am very worried he will loose lot of weight not eating. i think for now i will stop his DM food so he can eat something and get his apetite back. Is it right decision ?

Brands i am looking for carbs % are applaws (flavours - chicken breast/ chicken with cheese/ tuna and mackerel/ tuna with seaweed) and encore (flavours - chicken based or fish based) - what do you people suggest ? here in Malta most of the brands you mentioned FF, Wellness, 9Lives etc are not available

wait for any replies.

thanksss

48. Jeannette & Lily

Jeannette & Lily New Member

Hi Tiziana,

My reply is a little late, but I just joined a few days ago. Are you still having problems finding diabetes-compatible food?

Does Zooplus deliver to Malta? Also, I have a list of suitable food available here in Germany, and I'll bet you can get many of the brands in Malta too. The list is in German, but the brand names should be universal, and I'd be happy to translate any flavors and other info you might need.

Here is the link (to download a pdf). You want to click on the blue link that says "Diabetergeeignete Katzennassfutter A-Z" - it's also available as an excel file.
    http://www.katzendiabetes-shop.de/diabetes-informationen/futterlisten/

All Gourmet catfood has sugar in it, without exception. It's the ultimate kitty crack, let me tell you.

Animonda Carny is excellent, and my cats go crazy for the "Baby Pate" - it has only 3.7% carbs, so is a good choice. I'm linking to the Zooplus Spain site here, because I suspect you will be able to order from them. All foods on the page I've linked except the "Rafine" food at the bottom (which is a catfood with sauce) and the "Vom Feinsten" with pasta would be suitable for Chico, should he accept them: http://www.zooplus.es/shop/tienda_gatos/comida_humeda/animonda_rafine_carny
    Scroll down a bit from the top of that page to the "Vom Feinsten" varieties - they are in small tins and you can get them in batches of six. My cats especially like the kitten varieties, and especially the Baby Pate, as I posted above.

I hope that helped!

Tizi_C and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  49. Bobbie And Bubba

Good Morning Tiziana,
    I am sorry you are having trouble getting your kittie to eat. The brand you mentioned, applaws, I am not familiar with and did not seeing on the chart we use to see what the carb count is. Maybe you could call the company and ask what the carb count is keeping in mind that you want to keep the carbs 10% and under. I see above where Jeanette gave you a link of foods available in Germany and hopefully you can get the same in Malta. I hope that proves to be helpful to you. Also, fish is a flavor you want tot restrict to about once a week because of heavy metals. About the eating, yes, just get your cat to eat whatever you can right now until you find a suitable food that Chico likes. Keep us posted and Fingers and Paws crossed for you and Chico. :)

Tizi_C likes this.
  50. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

You can try Applaws, but remember that you might need to give him a supplement at some point to make up for the fact that he isn't getting a complete food. The Applaws flavors without rice have got to be under 10 carbs b/c there are ones that just water and chicken (I use them as a treat for my cat sometimes).
    The most important thing right now is finding something the cat will eat. I'd worry about the other details later. Not to scare you, but if he doesn't eat enough, it could hurt his liver. The DM is not medicated; it's a prescription food. It doesn't actually have medicine in it- so I wouldn't worry so much about that being what the cat eats. Many of us refused to feed DM and ended up getting better results with other foods.

If the situation gets any worse and he's not getting enough food, please try chicken broth, tuna in water, bonito flakes, parmesan cheese, or Fortiflora sprinkled on the food to get him to eat. Otherwise, you should call the vet and see if you can get an appetite stimulant medication (cyproheptadine or mirtazapine are the most commonly used).

Do you have any of the Tiki Cat or Weruva foods over in Malta?

51. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

What do you mean when you say that Applaws is not a complete food ?

52. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

we have brands like almo nature, schesir, princess, applaws, sheba here in malta and others but still checking on carbs values.

what do you think of any of these?

53. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Tiziana ~ I was thinking, if you can't find any of the lower carb wet foods in Malta, you could try cooking for him. I have seen links to recipes for making your own cat food and maybe even on this site might be some. Or start a new thread and ask if anyone has recipes suitable for diabetic cats.

54. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

the brands i mentioned above seem to have some flavours with low carbs so should be good.
    i am attaching a summary of foods i checked.

Attached Files:

55. Jeannette & Lily

Yes, those look familiar from my list as well. Other than the Sheba Classics (which I'm using as Lily's morning meal since she seems to like them), they are all the same style of food - small scraps of either chicken or tuna in jelly. Fine if your cat likes them, but my two aren't crazy about them and I'd never get Lily to accept them. But give them a try - and the Sheba Classics too! Please note that all Sheba Classic flavors might not be suitable, so definitely match the flavors to the ones on the list.

56. Bobbie And Bubba

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier but you only want to give fish about once a week due to the heavy metals.

57. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Jeannette & Lily i created my list from your list translating flavours on google that is why they are familiar as those are brands that i can hopefully find locally.

Bobbie and Bubba yes i know about fish ... thankss

What do you think about friskies and eukanuba ?

58. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

just found this brand Thrive - what do you think of it ?? I'll have to buy it online though

59. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Thrive complete

60. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

In the U.S., a cat food must have certain necessary vitamins and amino acids added to the food to be considered a food that is "complete", meaning that you can feed it exclusively every day without it causing a vitamin deficiency. Applaws is not considered complete and is recommended for supplemental feeding only (in the U.S.). Some flavors are literally just chicken and water- they have no added taurine, Vit E, etc. So, it would sort of be the equivalent of feeding chicken that you cook at home, which is okay if you give the cat extra vitamin/amino acid supplements. If you want to go this route, or if you want to make homemade cat food, we can send you the link to Lisa Pierson's cat food recipe, which will tell you what vitamins/minerals you need to add so that your cat doesn't get sick from a deficiency.

61. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Many people on the forum feed certain flavors of Friskies that have lower carbs. Each flavor has a different amount of protein or carbs, which you need to consider before deciding which flavors to feed. I thought you had settled on the Nature's Menu food?

62. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

no chico didnt eat nature's menu food i went to change pouches today.

what do you think of Thrive Complete wet cat food ?? they told me it's perfect for cats with diabetes and is a complete food

i will see lisa Pierson's food recipe to see what i can add to his food applaws / almo nature

63. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I just looked it up (we don't have that brand here), and it looks good to me. It says they've added the vitamins and minerals to it, which is better. Hope your kitty eats it!

Tizi_C likes this.
  64. Jeannette & Lily

According to my calculations, the Thrive Complete food is very low in carbs, only 2.1%. If you try it out, please let me know if it's another food with small strips of white chicken meat (since Lily's not too thrilled with those). Thanks!

Tizi_C likes this.
  65. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

i had to buy them online as they are not available locally....i ordered 36 cans mixed chicken / chicken + turkey / ocean fish. they should be at me by next week and really hope chico will eat them as he is costing me soooo much but if it works out i'm happy for the money spent and that way i know i found food that he likes and is good for him.

fingers and paws crossed that it will be okay so i can stop buying the non complete food like almo / applaws

also what do you think of schesir and sheba ??

thankss

66. Jeannette & Lily

Schesir is another brand that seems quite similar to Almo/Applaws (and which my two aren't interested in). Sheba is a rather standard supermarket brand here, probably not the best quality (?) but I'm happy that they have quite a few varieties that are low-carb, because Lily eats it enthusiastically most of the time. (Except now she won't, because I said that!!)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Reason for edit: wrong brand!
  67. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

hahaha at the moment the foods i have at home are almo/applaws/schesir/sheba - i will give him these then when i get thrive complete will start those and if he eats them ill keep buying that brand for now till i find another complete food brand.

68. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

69. Jeannette & Lily

It is on the German "not suitable" list because it has sugar in it!

70. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

so although low in carbs it is not good as high sugar?

how can i check for sugar in food ?

71. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

ok just seen and product info says various sugars :( so i bought wrong product....is ok to give to my other cat ?

72. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Tiziana, that's your call as far as giving to the other non-diabetic cats. My only concern would be for my sugar cat to get into it.....if it were me, I take would send them back so I wouldn't have to worry about Bubba getting into it.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  73. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

my cats don't meet unfortunately they don't get along so they have separate bowls and eat their own food.

74. Bobbie And Bubba

That takes Chico getting into out of the equation then.

75. Jeannette & Lily

Unfortunately, every single Gourmet variety has sugar in it. I personally wouldn't feed it to my other cat, but that's just me!

76. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

aaaa finally site is back, i was having difficulty to enter.

i tested chico's urine with test strips and below is the result:

Urine Test - Chico.jpg

As you can see all seem okay within normal values. But 1st box which is for LEU resulted positive as it turned purple.

I originally tested his urine to check for glucose because of diabetes as when we took blood tests and urine tests it resulted he had high sugar.

Now from my tests at home glucose seems normal (can't understand how as when i took him to vet it was very high) so i came to a conclusion that maybe he was so stressed that his levels shot up when he was at vet.

Now from my tests LEU is positive and i have been told that this means he has an infection, so i took another sample and took it to the vet for testing. Unfortunately i couldn't take the sample on the same day so had to refrigerate it and take it the following day. I also tested this same sample at home as soon as i picked up pee and same result came out LEU positive.

My vet tested it with stick and machine and all results came out normal, so i am lost. How is it that the tests at home show LEU being positive?

Any feedback please ??

77. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Is the correct time being used for each section of the strip. From what I remember reading about the 10 reagent strips. not every function uses the same time frame for results. Each brand of reagent strips is different so my thought is to check the instructions for timing. Just a thought.

78. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

Yes, the timing can make a big difference and you might have to read each one at a different time. Leukocytes in the absence of a UTI might be due to sterile interstitial cystitis (bladder inflammation without an infection). Also, they didn't see crystals in the pee, right?

79. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

Ok i will go through timing of each. Vet said all seemed ok with his urine results and didn't mention any crystals.

If it is as u said bladder inflammation do i need to give a course of antibiotics?

When I originally spoke to vet she told me if i wanted to be safe we could give him a course for 10 days

80. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

If a culture and sensitivity was run and was negative, then it could be inflammation, which would not improve with a course of antibiotics. If they ran a culture and got no/minimal bacterial growth, then watch out for UTI-like symptoms. Have you noticed any straining or smaller volumes of pee with increased litter box use?

81. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

It's a bit tricky because cats with diabetes are more prone to UTIs, but you really need to rule a UTI in or out with a culture and sensitivity to be sure.

82. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

What do u mean by culture and sensitivity?

No straining in litter use and he pees quite a normal volume a bit increased since he's on a wet food diet

83. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

99+ % of the time the leukocyte (white blood cell) dip stick reading is a false positive in cats. Just ignore the positive leukocyte. This is based on working at a vet and goin to vet tech school

84. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A culture and sensitivity is when a urine sample is allowed to sit and grow any bacteria that may be present ( the culturing part). If any grow, then different antibiotics are tested to see which one(s) work (the sensitivity part).

85. Tizi_C

Tizi_C Member

okay so if vet said his urine tests are all okay and nothing results positive i am safe to depend on those ?

as my result for positive leukocyte most prob is a false reading ?

thanks

86. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

I think you're probably okay if there's no UTI symptoms. But if you notice anything like that in the future, I would suggest asking the vet to run a culture & sensitivity specifically. You can't assume they did one along with the other urine tests. Sometimes they just look for bacteria under a microscope which doesn't give as much info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.