? Chin acne

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beenie (GA), Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

Me again:p

So Ming had a dental on 6/20 with a wonderful dentist we found in Salem, CT
    https://www.salemvalleyvet.com/
    I highly recommend him for anyone needing a board certified dentist. Dr Baratt is certified on small animals and horses!! Ming had a cleaning and Dr Baratt found a fracture of the crown of the right maxillary 4th premolar and fixed it, didn't need to pull it:)

I asked Dr Baratt to look at Ming's chin as I saw two tiny scabs and wasn't sure what it was from. Well its chin acne:facepalm: So since I use the Pet Safe 5 meal autofeeder I immediately scoured the FDMB for the ceramic inserts some use to avoid the chin-on-plastic contact. I found one that Marje noted from Williams and Sonoma but they didn't fit well so returned those. Found another post from Kris&Teasel referencing a ramekin on Amazon. They fit but both cats couldn't get all the food out as the width is too small.
    The auto feeder is a must in this house so I can't take that out of the equation. Any other tips to keep the chin acne at bay? Dr Baratt said I could use clearsil pads without alcohol to clean the chin. Of course Depomedrol is another option but not for us. Ming had about 4 shots to treat his asthma before we started him on Flovent.

I clean the auto feeder plastic dish every day and clean it well. I clean the mouth piece to his Aerokat chamber daily too.

Any other tips/tricks would be much appreciated:cat:

This is my 13 yr old Ming...my soul kitty:bighug:
    IMG_5384.JPG

Amanda and a Loudogg and HWright like this.
  2. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

I had almost the same issue with Lucy, dental and chin acne. A couple antibiotics didn't seem to clear it up, but I've been using Petkin Kitty Ear Wipes with witch hazel and chlorhexadine I found at Walmart and on Chewy. They seem to generally keep the acne at bay. They are the only ones I found without alcohol as an ingredient. And Lucy doesn't object to the smell or me using them on her.

Tanya and Ducia and Beenie (GA) like this.
  3. Beenie (GA)

Awesome! Thank you so much for the info!!!

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I have the 2 compartment feeder. So I don't know if this would work in the 5. I use finger bowls (that's what I call them) and the fit great. They are from my grandmother china set which I never use. They are shallow with flared edge.

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Many care takers use human acne pads and it works.

Beenie (GA) and Tanya and Ducia like this.
  6. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Noah & me (GA) and Beenie (GA) like this.
  7. Beenie (GA)

Bought Stridex pads yesterday with no alcohol as per the vet's recommendation. Glad to hear it works. Seems easy enough:)

8. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Paula. I think the 5 compartment feeder just had odd shaped compartments versus the 2 compartment feeder.

9. Beenie (GA)

10. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle,
    Glad to hear that Ming's dental went well and that she is doing well. Dr. Baratt is our dental surgeon, too.
    Vines for ming's acne to clear up! ❤️

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  11. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When my Sheba got chin ache i was advised by members here to not use plastic bowls.
    Sheba's auto feeder had plastic bowls and I was unable to get ceramic inserts so I bought paper Patty cake papers........not sure what you call them in the US but they are the papers for cup cakes.
    I put 6 in the 6 compartments every day and changed them every day.
    I washed her chin every day with water and dried it after every time she ate....I found that was the most effective treatment for her and cleared it up.

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  12. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

My cats use to have chin acne too.I switched to metal dishes and keep them clean and problem went away.I read that cats can have a reaction to plastic food dishes.Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not just throwing it in just in case to help.

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  13. Beenie (GA)

Dr Barrat was so nice, very knowledgeable and reasonably priced too!! So happy to hear he's your dentist too.
    :)

14. Beenie (GA)

Ooo this is interesting! I will definitely try the cupcake paper. So far I've tried three different ceramic dish inserts for the feeder and nothing has worked well. Thanks Bron!!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  15. Beenie (GA)

Yes the plastic being porous can harbor bacteria so its advised not to use it. My issue is the autofeeder is a must in this house so I'm trying to figure out a work around. Bron's suggestion is my next try.
    Thanks for the input though :)

16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

What a handsome boy!! Many years ago I had a kitty with chin acne. It responded really well to something similar to Clearasil wipes (it was an OTC human acne lotion with benzoyl peroxide in it).

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  17. Beenie (GA)

Thanks Kris! I started using Stridex pads and hope to see some improvement. Since Ming uses the AeroKat for his inhaler meds that plastic mouth piece adds another layer of irritation to the area too:confused:. So I wash everything thoroughly after each use.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  18. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Vetericyn gel for owies. But it'd be even better if you can find a preventive.

Please give handsome Ming a kiss from me.:cat::kiss:

Beenie (GA) likes this.
  19. Beenie (GA)

Hi Susan, thanks for the tip on Vetericyn. Ming has a big scab now on his chin so that might be better then go back to Stridex.

:)Ming loves kisses!!!! He's such a big mush:p

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  20. JeanW

JeanW Member

Not using plastic bowls was what helped me most to avoid chin acne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.