Chloe Post DKA

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I'm going to get a couple midcycles today. I totally messed up last night and gave her a small dose at 10:00 because her number was so high. Her PM dose had been a fur shot. Her numbers are still higher than I would like. I'll call the vet tomorrow if they don't come down below 250. She's eating.

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It's very very important to test for ketones. I would be testing DAILY for ketones.

srk4cats and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Roberta, Chloe is fragile post-DKA and the risk of ketone development is still there. I'm sure after that harrowing episode you'll want to avoid any possible relapse. I believe you said you still have a week off work, correct? I strongly recommend that you do extra testing in this recovery period. I'd aim for three mid cycle tests in the day and at least one more before bed. Stick with the 2 u dose unless she's well under 200 - maybe for anything over 170. She's eating higher carb food to support more insulin. I wouldn't reduce the dose in response to a PS of 187 right now. You should be testing urine for ketones daily.

4. srk4cats

5. srk4cats

My question went in the pink area, I don't know why.

6. Kris & Teasel

It's possible she's dropping quite low at night and bouncing back up in the morning. It might be worth setting an alarm to get a +6 or +7 test overnight a few times to see if that's the case. I understand you not wanting to give a full 2 u on a BG under 200 at PM. I also understand the need to keep the dose up as much as possible post DKA. I think that night time data would be helpful in making further decisions.

StephG likes this.
  7. srk4cats

I think I should keep to the 2 unit dose in the PM even if she drops below 200. She eats a lot and the number zooms back up at +3. It looks like her nadir is the PM reading. If I get up during the night, I'll taking another reading.

8. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Set an alarm to get up to test. Don't just rely on if you happen to get up. It isn't fun getting up in the middle of the night but it's necessary to help Chloe.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, you want to make sure that she doesn't drop too low. As Kris said, you do need to keep the dose up now, but you also don't want a hypo situation on your hands. I'd set an alarm and be SURE to get up and test NO MATTER WHAT and let us know what numbers you get. We can help you figure out what to do to keep her safe.

10. srk4cats

I was unable to get enough blood this morning after 3 tries. I know she peed just before, but I didn't get a spoon in time. So I fed her and she ate well. How do I get more water into her? And should I give her her full dose this morning?

11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I mix in 2 tablespoons of water with 1 can of FF. I'm not familiar with the food you are using, so not sure how big the can is or how much water to recommend. Just try to mix in as much as you can that she will still eat it.

12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Will you be home to check her today? She needs insulin but it's tough to say what to do with no BG.

Have you gotten ketone tests lately? Sorry if it's on SS. I'm on my phone.

13. Kris & Teasel

Keep a spoon right beside her litter box so you can get urine right away. Needless to say, that's Chloe's pee spoon from now on.

srk4cats likes this.
  14. srk4cats

I managed to get a urine sample in a plastic spoon. The strip is about 8 inches long, so I had to pour the urine over it. I'll figure something out about that. Anyway, NO ketones, but got abnormal results for specific gravity/ density, whatever that means. Again got high leukocytes. Of course, glucose was on the high side. This is pretty much the same results I got the last time- pre-DKA.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAx(Chico says hello). I'm using One Step Vet-10 strips. I know that leukocytes are white blood cells and indicate an infection, but she was tested in the hospital and they couldn't find any infection.

15. srk4cats

I just caught her eating the dry food for the other cats, AGAIN! The first time, I gave her the Hill's wet food, but she finished that off and went back to the dry food. Is it possible there's something wrong with her teeth that would account for the high leukocytes? She's never had her teeth looked at before. Should I make an appointment?

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I believe Steph said the leukocytes aren't accurate on the strips. I'm not sure...but I think that was it.

17. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, the leukocytes are apparently not accurate for cats. Although do give your vet a call if you're at all concerned. And also about the teeth. They can impact BG as well.

18. srk4cats

I won't worry about it then. She's just gotten out of hospital and I don't want to stress her out again for awhile.

19. Kris & Teasel

I'm not sure how reliable all those other tests are on that strip. I use Bayer KetoDiastix and they only indicate ketones and glucose. Might be worth buying some of those (inexpensive) so you don't fret about all those other things.

srk4cats likes this.
  20. srk4cats

Thanks, I'll look it up.

21. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The leukocytes panel on the strips is not accurate for kitties. With both my kitties I always got +2 or +3 even when there was no problem. Also the SG tends to read lower than it really is. For an accurate SG the vet would need to use a refractometer which would give an accurate reading. The other panels are good guidelines.

ETA If you get a reading on the blood panel portion that could indicate a UTI. I use the Chemstrips 10.

srk4cats likes this.
  22. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

You could try mixing tuna water with some warm water and see if she'll drink that. I give Chuck 1/4 c warm water with a spoon of beech nut chicken & broth baby food too. Anything to make the water taste like a treat and make it more tempting than the regular water. I do this when I'm trying to get a urine sample too. He will usually pee after about an hour or hour and a half. It can be tough catching a sample. I finally got one from Chuck today. I've been trying for 3 days! He was negative too!
    When you're having a hard time getting blood... Have you tried using more pressure when poking? Or milking her ear upward and kind of pinching below where you want to poke- like a way to keep the blood trapped up there til you poke? I'm not sure what might work to help get a sample when you're having a hard time. It's kind of trial and error.
    Happy to see negative ketones on her test.

srk4cats likes this.
  23. srk4cats

I just ordered ketone strips from Walmart for about $6. They are very simple and just measure ketones. I'm going to switch to the ultra-thin lancets and try to get Chloe to drink more water. I've tried the pinching etc.

24. srk4cats

564 only 2 hours after her injection! How? I didn't see her eating anything. I'll get up during the night to make sure it's not a bounce.

25. Kris & Teasel

The easiest way to get more water into them is to add some to every wet food meal to make a type of kitty "stew". The black number is possibly part food spike if she ate high carb food but mostly a bounce. There's no data from the daytime to know. I hate to nag but you really can't afford to ease up on the testing, Roberta. It's only been a week since Chloe's hospital stay.

26. srk4cats

It's a bounce if ever I saw one. I'm trying to get her back to 7 am shots. I got up a couple times in the night to pee, but I'm so foggy and I don't want to wake up all the cats. I'll get a couple mid-cycles today.

27. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

How much of the hills md is she eating? If 2 units is dropping her too low at night you might have to increase the amount of food to keep the 2 unit shot. Have you tried crushing a few pieces of kibble and adding warm water to it to see if she'll drink it that way? Could try adding warm water to her dry food (only a few pieces) to see if she will eat it that way. You don't want to do it on a full meal if you don't know she'll eat it. Might end up wasting a whole meal. Try a few pieces first then move up from there if she will eat it with some warm water added.
    I agree with Kris that you need more tests. Don't let your guard down yet!

srk4cats likes this.
  28. srk4cats

She was at 61 this morning! She ate quite a bit of Hill's, though. I'm getting frustrated that she won't get regulated. She ate almost a full 5.5 oz can of Hill's and I just did another reading. She's at 158 now. I haven't given her her shot yet. I'm going to check again in another hour and if she's closer to 200, I will give her 1 unit. No, I think I'll just skip her shot this morning because it would put me so off-schedule and I start work on Monday.

29. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I didn't this right away. Did you give her insulin? I would give her some but not 2 units! 61 means she's going too low over night. You need to get tests at night. She's probably going to bounce today.
    @Kris & Teasel what do you think? She needs the insulin to keep Ketones at bay but hard to tell how much.
    Edited to add: the 61 could be a very late nadir but the only way to know that is to get tests overnight.
    If you can monitor and steer I think 1 unit would be better than 2.

30. Kris & Teasel

How about a half dose (1 u), given that the food has pushed her up? I wouldn't skip post DKA.

Not having a regulated cat IS frustrating, Roberta. Some are easier to regulate than others. Regardless, though, it takes intensive, sustained effort over time to get there.

Yong & Maury GA and StephG like this.
  31. srk4cats

Well, I didn't give her any insulin and now she's over 400 midday. I think I'd better move her PM shot to 5 PM, but should I give her 1 or 2 u? Do you think she needs a different insulin?

32. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I would give 2 units as long as she eats. You can move the shot to 5 since she didn't get insulin this morning.
    I don't know if another insulin would suit her better. She responds well to prozinc. Lantus or levemir would give her longer control. I think it would require more testing in the beginning since she's still not quite set on a prozinc dose.
    It could be worth posting in the lantus & levemir group to see if they can give some more opinions.
    Right now the important thing is to keep testing for Ketones and keep insulin in her system.
    Check back often when asking about dosing opinions.

Rachel likes this.
  33. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You'll definitely need to test more if you do switch insulins.

34. srk4cats

She''s munching on her dry food now. I just got home and caught her in the act. It's 4:30. I'll test her at 5:00. I'm using up the Royal Canon glyco for dry.

35. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It would be best to get a +4 tonight, at least. That way you can see if the insulin is bringing her down too quick or not.

36. srk4cats

37. srk4cats

When I tested her at 7 pm, the meter just read HI. I immediately gave her 2 units insulin and didn't feed her. When I tested her 1.5 hr. later, she had vomited all the dry food and was down to 451. I'm going to test her during the night, I promise.

38. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Test for Ketones as soon as you can too.

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like you got a nice yellow last night! When was the last time you got a ketone test? I didn't see any listed on your SS lately.

srk4cats likes this.
  40. srk4cats

Haven't caught her peeing yet.

41. srk4cats

She tested 'HI' again. Does that mean she's in the 600's? Still haven't caught her peeing to get ketones. Her behavior is normal and appetite is good. Should I continue with 2 units?

42. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I would give her 2 units. Get a +4 or later over night test in.
    Do EVERYTHING you can to get a ketone test. Put plastic wrap over the litter and check often to see if she peed yet.
    Is she getting into any other food during the day? Mid cycles tests are important during the day too. Especially because her numbers are so high.
    Have to make sure the insulin is working and not taking her too low.
    You don't want to end up back at the kitty ER.

43. srk4cats

Chloe just made a nice solid poop, but I still haven't caught her peeing. I know she's been drinking water. I just tested her at 11:30 and she was 305. I was 106. ouch.

44. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I see she had a yellow preshot. That's good.
    Please be careful with the 2 unit doses. She could go too low on it. I suggest testing +3/+4 and again +7/+8 to see where she goes on it. If you need to steer with food it's better to do that than let her go too low then deal with the super high numbers in a bounce.
    She still needs the insulin to keep Ketones at bay so decreasing might not be the right thing to do yet. UNLESS you can't commit to testing and feeding more mid cycle to keep her numbers up.
    Others might have some advice. You could try doing a forum search for post dka cats and see what strategy they used.

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's SUPER IMPORTANT that you get a ketone test as soon as possible, Roberta. Since Chloe is post DKA, you need to be really vigilant about getting a test. Keep a spoon right next to her LB and be ready to grab a test at any time.

TempestsMum and Kris & Teasel like this.
  46. srk4cats

I haven't seen her use the litter box at all today and tomorrow I go back to work. I'm hoping I can catch her in the morning before I go. I've got the spoon on standby.

47. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

If all else fails I'd add some water to her food, and grab my trusty roll,of cling film. The extra water should help with the pee. And the cling film over the litter should catch some for you just in case she's sneaky.

srk4cats likes this.
  48. srk4cats

I have several litterboxes around the house because I have 2 other cats. I could isolate her, but she hates that.

49. srk4cats

I don't understand what's going on. The past 2 days, her number actually went up after her PM reading. I would think the Prozinc would have kicked in and lowered her numbers by +3.

50. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:bighug:Did you manage to get the keytone test?

51. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Tonight's is within the 20% variance so it's not really an increase. She stayed flat which could be from a bounce. Last night's was an increase and probably the start to a bounce from the 2 units given on the yellow preshot. That's why the mid cycles are important. If she stays in her old routine, I think she will bounce for 3 cycles and then give a good preshot/cycle on the 4th cycle. Edited to add: so probably tomorrow morning preshot will be better and her mid cycle tests will show the insulin working. (my best guess based on your data)
    The ketone test is very important. Especially with these high numbers. You might have to stalk her til she goes. Chuck usually goes after eating but even though I know this, he will still get in there as soon as I am not paying attention. Sneaky! So I use the plastic wrap in the box method.

52. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Wow. My best guess was wrong.
    It's VERY important to get a ketone test! Her numbers are trending up very high. She can end up in DKA again easily.
    Get some mid cycle numbers to see why she's so high. If she's dropping fast or low it can cause the bounce too.
    I'm very worried for Chloe.

53. srk4cats

I think she's sneaking food. I won't leave any food out tonight.

54. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Roberta, I'm very worried about Chloe too. I know you said you haven't caught her peeing, but at this point, you need to do WHATEVER it takes to get a ketone test. Please, it's very important.

55. Kris & Teasel

I agree with the others' concerns. You don't want to risk anther DKA episode. If you can't get a ketone test, take her to the vet to have them do one.

StephG and Rachel like this.
  56. srk4cats

Ketones are fine but her glucose is off the charts! I'm going to raise her dose to a fat 2. I washed out a litter box with water only, then I put it on a piece of old carpet and put a box on one side. I locked her in the room by herself. When I got home a few minutes ago, there was a nice puddle of pee in the litter box and I dropped the test strip in. I also had to bake a cake for a potluck at work. So, I was about 10 minutes late, but at least the students don't start until tomorrow. My principal is anal about us getting to work on time.

57. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Is she still getting into the dry?

58. srk4cats

No, she was in her room all day. Just water. She had about 1/4 cup of dry just before I tested her, but I don't think it would have affected her BG because I tested her not even 5 minutes later. Does'n it take a little while to get into her bloodstream?
    I was surprised she was in the yellow, but it was very close to pink.

59. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It does take about 20 minutes to hit their system.
    If you are planning on limiting her food again this cycle, please only give 2 units. She's done fine on it before. If you're not restricting her food then the fat 2 would probably be ok. Get a before bed test and if you get up tonight, test then too. Just to see where she's going.
    The dry kibble is definitely a part of what's causing these higher numbers.
    I would stick with the wet dm and ya dry. Or only give a small amount of high carb dry kibble to keep her safe on the 2 units.
    A full curve as soon as you can will help. On just wet dm and YA or on wet dm and controlled small serving of high carb dry.
    You have to see where she's going to decide if increasing is the best answer.
    If she's going to free feed the high carb dry, an increase is probably needed but plan at least TWO mid cycle tests to make sure it's not too big of an increase.

srk4cats, Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  60. srk4cats

No more free feeding unless she goes into Fuzma's room, which is highly unlikely. I read this message after I had already given her the fat 2, so I have to keep it like that at least until Saturday when I can do a curve.
    I'm going to start a new thread. I'm eating green ice cream right now so I'm going to call it Chloe and Green Ice Cream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.