Chloe updates from hospital

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Just spoke with the doctor. Chloe is eating! Doctor says she is vocal and loves attention, which is very strange because she's always been skittish and avoided strangers. I'm a bit insulted that she likes it better at the hospital than with me. Maybe she's masochistic and enjoys being prodded and poked. Doctor says she's still acidic but maybe can come home tomorrow. She said that I should stick to one food. Still doesn't know what caused the DKA, but she's going to do a thyroid test. Also, I told her about how Chloe eats which is odd. She takes a bite and then turns her head to the side to chew. Doctor says I should take her to my regular vet. Maybe she has a tooth infection and some teeth need to be removed. Doctor is impressed with the spreadsheet and home testing. She's young and must be just out of vet school. She spend about 10 minutes talking to me on the phone trying to figure out what caused Chloe's DKA. Of course, I'm paying in the thousands, but it still seems she cares about Chloe.

TempestsMum likes this.
  2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Two of my kitties tilt their head and are side eaters. They have been doing that for ages. The both had dentals in February and nothing was wrong. I think some cats just do that kind of thing.

srk4cats likes this.
  3. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Glad she's feeling better. You should ask if they can give you detailed instructions in writing to follow for home care until she stops testing positive for ketones and then after. It can be a whirl-wind experience getting discharged and trying to remember everything is stressful.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad to hear she feels better! When she comes home, please let us know. Post DKA, you'll need to manage the diabetes very carefully and we'd really love to help with that.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Steph and Rachel's comments. You have a little free time now before Chloe is discharged - maybe think about a schedule you can set up to manage her care in the days and weeks ahead? It'll be all about structure - feeding, testing of BG and urine ketones, etc. You have a great opportunity to get on top of this before works resumes.

TempestsMum, Djamila, Rachel and 2 others like this.
  6. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I am so sorry she has been sick. Be glad that she likes it in the hospital and is not sad at being away from home.

7. srk4cats

Actually, I only have one more week before I go back to work. I'll go back to the usual schedule of 7 AM and 7 PM. I'll have to do curves on the weekends, probably Sundays.
    The vet said she wanted to monitor her for one more night. She's waiting for the results of the thyroid test. She said Chloe dug into her food today, which was Hill's MD pate. I will order some of that from Chewy's.

8. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad she's eating and being monitored. :)

srk4cats likes this.
  9. srk4cats

Chloe is coming home today!!! Doctor is putting her on 2 units dose. I know some of you think that's too high, but I really trust this vet and am going to do everything she says, including putting her on Hill's MD diet.

TempestsMum likes this.
  10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Make sure you're testing at least +3 or +4 on the new dose.
    On the higher carb food she might need that much insulin.
    Testing keeps her safe from a hypoglycemia crisis.

srk4cats and TempestsMum like this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

Post-DKA it's not uncommon to feed higher carb food to allow a larger dose of insulin to be given. That helps keep ketones at bay. All the usual guidelines for dosing take a back seat to proper follow up treatment after an episode like this. I agree, though, that those extra BG tests are important.

I'm very glad you'll have your girl back home today. :)

13. srk4cats

The vet has her on prescription foods.

StephG likes this.
  14. srk4cats

Chico is so happy to have Chloe home! He's been licking her head a lot. Wish I could get a pic.:kiss:

JanetNJ and TempestsMum like this.
  15. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I hope she does well on it. Like Kris said, it's not uncommon to be on higher carb food after DKA. This helps keep her insulin dose high enough to help keep ketones at bay.
    That's so sweet he's happy she's home. My cat's aren't as sweet. They usually give each other a few nips when they return from the vet. Haha like, I'm not going there too! Stay away from me!

TempestsMum and srk4cats like this.
  16. apple

apple Member

Good to hear about her progress.

srk4cats likes this.
  17. Teresa & Buddy

Glad she is better and I'm sure you are happy she is at home.

At some point are you going to start feeding YA again.

18. srk4cats

The vet gave me some cans of Royal Canine Glyco and Hill's MD. I've been feeding her the RC Glyco chunky and she's eating it. I still have some of the dry which I leave out for free-feeding (vet said it's okay). When I run out of that, I'll finish up the YA. I'm feeding the Fancy Feast to Chico and Fuzma. Chloe is so skinny it's scary. I also gave her a Zobaline pill this morning because she's having a little trouble with her balance.

19. srk4cats

I'm feeding her the low-carb prescription food. The vet said that if her PM reading is low, I can halve the dose, but if she goes below 100, don't give her any.

StephG likes this.
  20. srk4cats

Yes, I've heard they don't like the hospital smell. I can relate. Chico first sniffed all over her carrier and then he went on the bed to lick her. I was surprised at this reaction, to tell you the truth.:cat:

21. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy eats Royal Canine Glycobalance wet food and he loves it, I can try him on a new food and he might it eat for a few days, then he will not eat until I give him Glycobalance wet food. Are you going to use YA, I do use it, but along side of the RC wet food.

srk4cats likes this.
  22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

i posted this on your other thread because I was tagged but since you have a new tread, I'll repost it here so you'll see it.

I am also in Tucson....at what hospital is/was she?

The TBIL or bilirubin will be high from liver disease. Usually, if it's from hepatic lipidosis, some of the other liver enzymes, like ALP, will also be high. Is her creatinine that is also high? I've never seen CREO on labs but usually see CREA. That would be indicative of a potential kidney issue. The Cl will be off if she has DKA.

Do you have any updated labs? If you are able to take a picture and load them, it would be helpful since it's really important to look at them in totality and not just a few numbers here and there.

Many prayers for your little girl. And you are correct....there is no veterinary school at U of A.

23. srk4cats

Chloe was at the Veterinary Specialty Center of Tucson on La Canada just south of River Road. I didn't get a list of labs but got 4 pages of discharge instructions. It notes that her x-rays were 'unremarkable' and that an abnormal ulltrasound showed nonspecific changes that are likely related to her older age and history of diabetes. Possible pancreatitus but could not be confirmed with ultrasound. No UTI, normal thyroid level. She does NOT have hyperthyroidism. She had abnormal electrolyte levels and a severe acidbase imbalance which is now resolved.
    She needs to be fed a lot, probably because she's shrunk to almost nothing.
    Her vet was Dr. Connally who I liked a lot. She kept me constantly updated by phone. All the people there were very nice and I'm sure they were good to Chloe, too. Apparently, she was very vocal when she was there and enjoyed the attention.
    Where do you work in Tucson? I'm going to the Cat Care benefit tonight at the Public Brewhouse, are you?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

They should always give you the labs. If it were me, I'd request them. Dr. Roy is the radiologist I'm familiar with and he's very good, if he did her ultrasound.

The electrolytes being off and the acidbase imbalance are indicative of DKA. When you get her home, it's very important that you make sure she gets extra calories, extra water in her food, and the right dose of insulin. There is also likely infection somewhere because that is a component of DKA. Did they put her on antibiotics?

I am now retired and am up in the Ventana Canyon area. I hope you enjoy the benefit; I had dinner with my hubby at Union Pub tonight and we are just hanging out at home. :) Are you the west side of town?

25. srk4cats

I am on the NW side of town. Thank you for all the advice.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.