Chloe ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by srk4cats, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Hi. This is my first post in this forum. Chloe's been on Prozinc over a year. I received the Lantus this morning, but am not sure whether to start it now as her BG is 154. She's eating well. Since it's a depot insulin, should I start her with 1 unit?

2. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

When switching insulins, we generally recommend you start with a dose close to what you were giving on the previous insulin. I'm not familiar with Prozinc, so let me tag another veteran or two to chime in. @Wendy&Neko @Marje and Gracie

Have you read the stickies and decided whether to do TR or SLGS? With TR, if you are testing and have some data, you typically shoot anything over a 50 (newbies are recommended to post for advice if they get something under 154, but you aren't really a newbie). With SLGS, you shoot anything over 90 The question is, are you able to monitor tonight and do you have all the necessary supplies if Chole decides to jump off a cliff (HC food, syrup, etc)?

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How much can you monitor the first couple of cycles on Lantus? Some cats show a marked response to a change in insulin. To be on the safe side, if you can continue to monitor about what you have been doing, I would go with 1.5 units.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I stand corrected. I have been informed that there is recent DKA in the picture for Chloe. That would argue for a dose more like your existing dose on Prozinc. However, you will need to monitor more frequently than you have of late, especially for the first few days of Lantus. How is the ketone testing going? At this point, you should still be testing daily.

Out of curiosity, why the switch to Lantus? Any other medical issues in Chloe's recent past?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.