Chloe4

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing a mini curve today with the Relion. I'll be going out around noon for a few hours and I want to test every 2 hours until then. At 7:14, she was 295. Right now, she is still gobbling down her Friskies with gusto. Sometimes her back legs seem a bit wobbly. After I do another couple tests, please tell me what her dose should be. Thank you.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you giving vitamin b 12? If not I would start.

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Let us know when you get the mini-curve done, Roberta and we'll be glad to have a look.

4. srk4cats

I'm not giving her any supplements. What's B12 for?

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Methylcobalamin B12 helps diabetic neuropathy (leg weakness from nerve damage and muscle loss). Zobaline is a popular supplement here.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

For the leg weakness.

7. srk4cats

Thank you!
    After 3 hours, she only dropped from 295 to 277. Does that mean the insulin isn't working?

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest you move the 277 to the +3 cell on your spreadsheet so we know what we're looking at.

9. srk4cats

Gosh! It took me three tries to get the glucose reading. Poor thing. It seems like she's dipping down gradually. I gave her some treats this time and the last.

10. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Since you've seen good progress with 1 unit before... chances are this could be a bounce. Usually during a bounce the cycles are higher and somewhat "flat" meaning in a close range with no significant drop in numbers.

11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Definitely could be a bounce cycle. Hard to say without any recent numbers, but it sure looks like one.

12. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I know she doesn't like the test but even if you can get one test in tonight around +3 or +4 it would show if she's just staying high or if she is/was bouncing.
    This is why we value the test so much... it helps tell the story of how and when the insulin is working.
    How is she acting?
    200s are technically "high" but they're better than 300+

13. srk4cats

I just got home. Will test in 15 minutes.

14. srk4cats

I think I should raise the dose to 1.5 units. What do you think?

15. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I can't recommend an increase.
    There's not enough tests to show it's needed. BUT if you do (to be clear I don't think It's a good idea without more testing first), I would not increase by half units.
    You got blues from 1.25 on a 400s preshot before. 1.5 could be too much.
    If you increase please consider getting at least preshot tests.
    I strongly recommend talking to your vet about increasing by a tiny bit before making your decision.
    It's better to be too high for a day than too low for a minute.
    If it were my cat I would not increase the dose.

16. srk4cats

ok, thanks. I'll stick to 1 unit for now.

StephG likes this.
  17. srk4cats

I missed giving Chloe her injection last night since I got home late from raku. This morning she was at 352, which is near what she's been getting every morning. Do you think the Prozinc is no good?

18. Kris & Teasel

The ProZinc is probably fine. I don't see yesterday's AM data on your SS. Also, based on the curve numbers from Apr 30, it looks like a dose increase to 1.25 u is in order. However, if you had more data on your SS it would be easier to see what's going on with her.

19. srk4cats

I didn't test her yesterday morning. I will test her again for PM and give her fat 1-units.

20. Kris & Teasel

OK. Enter it as F1.0 on your SS so it can be differentiated from a true 1.0 u.

StephG likes this.
  21. srk4cats

Has anybody else accidentally pricked their finger with a lancet? I did and decided to check my BG. It was 165.

22. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

LOL...I would bet we've all done that! Mine was 82.

23. srk4cats

I think I have pre-diabetes, but just can't give up sweets and hate artificial sweeteners. Luckily, when I was at the opening of a new veterinary clinic, I won a one-month free membership to a gym.

StephG likes this.
  24. srk4cats

I've tested Chloe midday today and yesterday and both were in the 200's. I would like to increase from a fat 1 to 1.5. Advice?

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Without knowing what the preshots were on those days, it's hard to advise. We don't know if it dropped her or if she stayed flat...

StephG likes this.
  26. srk4cats

552! think the warrants an increase to 1.5 u.

27. Kris & Teasel

That's a big bounce number. It's impossible to know how low she might have gone to cause it.

StephG likes this.
  28. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that one (500+) high preshot doesn't warrant an increase for EVERY shot.
    If you gave her the 1.5 units please try to get a mid cycle test. And definitely test before her next shot.
    Was the 552 after 2 hours of no food? If she had anything to eat before it that is increased by food.
    FD is very tricky and without the tests there's no way to see how each dose is working.
    Take a peek at my SS. Chuck is doing great on Lantus. BUT if I didn't test during the cycle I would NEVER known he was getting blues and sometimes greens on his current dose and based on preshot tests only- it looks like he needs MORE when in fact he's just bouncing.
    This is why we push for testing. Even HUMANS test their blood glucose before giving themselves a dose of insulin. It's a game of Russian roulette if they don't...

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  29. srk4cats

160! no shot, right?

30. Kris & Teasel

Correct.

StephG likes this.
  31. srk4cats

I've been giving her some B12 from a capsule of 1500 mcg, just a few grains. It's called "Doctor's Best Fully Active B12". Besides Methylcobalin, it contains cellulose. no sugar of any kind. I just noticed today that the RDV is 25,000% and that's for humans. I have Zobalin on order.

32. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I think I use the same stuff. 1500 mcg is only 1.5 mg. So two of those caps is equal to how much B12 is in zobaline. Zobaline also has 200mcg Folic Acid in it.

33. srk4cats

Thanks, I figured micrograms would be smaller than milligrams, but didn't do the math or reasoning. I would just give her a pinch at breakfast. Did you notice it turns red on contact with liquid? I still haven't even finished one capsule yet. Once I get the Zobaline, I think I'll take the other B12 myself. Maybe it will give me more energy. My blood cells have always been small, too.
    I also noticed that some of the Friskies pates have B12 in them.

34. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Yep. The zobaline turns red/pink when wet too. The pills are very easy to crush too. You can give her a whole cap til you get the zobaline. It's only half the dose. Two caps is how much she'll get from 1 zobaline.
    Chuck didn't mind either kind. Didn't seem to notice it was in there.

35. srk4cats

I just open the capsule.

36. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

That's what I do too. I dump a whole cap in his food. Zobaline is a pill and it's easy to crush/crumble with your fingers.

37. srk4cats

159. It's nice to finally see some blue. She's moving around more, too. I just got another call from the vet tech nagging me to do a curve. Apparently, she isn't hooked into my SS anymore. I still haven't switched to the Everpaw and I told her I've got less than 3 weeks left of work (school ends May 25th) and then I'll have all the time in the world.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  38. Djamila

Gosh, it's so good you've done some tests lately! That could have been dangerous if you had given a shot on such a low number!!! Good job!

39. srk4cats

Now I'm sure Chloe ate a lot for dinner, but just now she's been crying loudly and it looks like she had trouble lying down. I'd better test her again.

40. Djamila

How did it go? Is she okay?

41. christobevii3

christobevii3 Member

Everpaw is $60 for 100 strips vs $90 for my alphatrak! I need to ask about switching...

I'm jealous of your latest numbers.

42. srk4cats

I'm sorry. I didn't get around to testing her last night. She was at 393 this morning before I gave her breakfast. She was yowling for food. I gave her a full capsule (without the shell) of B12 with her food. After about 20 minutes, I heard her cry out. I thought maybe she wanted her shot. Does it hurt if you don't give the shot right away? She's sleeping now.

43. srk4cats

Everpaw is a new brand, I think, but it is especially for dogs and cats. You have to code it, which makes it complicated. I don't use the shot pen. I haven't switched over from the Relion yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.