Chloe5

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Last night, I forgot to give Chloe her shot until 9 pm. I have to go to work this morning. She tested at 320. Can I give her 1 unit at 7:30 this morning?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's very difficult to be able to advise. This dose would be an hour and a half early. You had a no shot 2 days ago after a 1 u dose the night before so in the absence of sufficient data it might be safest to drop to something like 0.5 u. This is why we always want to see a good array of SS data before advising.

3. srk4cats

Thank you, will do.

4. srk4cats

To shoot or not to shoot-- that be the question. 200 this am, eating heartily.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Roberta - I left very early for work this morning and didn't see this. What did you decide to do?

6. srk4cats

I didn't give her the shot. I was late for work.

7. Djamila

200 isn't a bad number after a fur shot the night before! Are you giving her one unit tonight? Hopefully that will help bring her back down again. You're doing a great job of getting pre-shot tests done!

srk4cats likes this.
  8. srk4cats

Something is wrong this morning. No howling for food and I had to hold Chloe's food in front of her face. She didn't seem very hungry. I tested her first thing and she was at 304. After she ate a little, I gave her 1 unit. Now I got home late last night, so I fed her, but didn't give any insulin. What's going on? Should I stay home from work this morning? Is it because I changed from FF back to Friskies? I will open a can of FF and see if she gets excited.

9. Djamila

How long until you have to leave the house? Maybe just keep an eye on her for a bit and see how she does. Every once in awhile, they just aren't that hungry. It can sometimes be a sign that they're sick though - but it's hard to tell across the internet. If you have an hour or so before you leave, hopefully she'll go back to her food and eat a bit more before you need to decide about leaving.

10. srk4cats

I put a bowl of FF right in front of her on the bed and she's just ignoring it. She only got off the bed to drink some water. I think I will call in late to work and keep on eye on her. I'm also not feeling well, tummy ache and runs.

11. Djamila

Oh no! I hope you both feel better soon!

12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How's Chloe seem this evening?

13. Djamila

Hi Roberta! Great job getting that mid-cycle number yesterday! I really hope both you and Chloe are feeling better today!

14. srk4cats

I don't understand why Chloe's numbers are so flat. I would like to bring them down a bit. Should I increase the dose to 1.5 u ?

15. Djamila

First of all, great job getting more data recently, that really helps! Looking at the morning cycles on 5/19 and 5/20, those mid-cycle numbers give us some important information. The 5/19 cycle shows us that from the pre-shot to +4, Chloe dropped 140 points. Since most cats nadir between +5 and +7, we can guess that she might have gone a bit lower than the 183. Anytime the difference between the pre-shot and the nadir is 50%, it's a good cycle, even if the nadir doesn't reach a green number. The reason for that is that more than 50% can cause bouncing, so you want to get close to that, without going too far over. So that was a great cycle for Chloe.

The 5/20 cycle shows us that she dropped more than 100 points in two hours. We don't know how low she got at nadir, but we know she was having an active cycle, so we can probably guess that she had a good cycle that time too.

So her pre-shot numbers might not look like they're changing a lot, but she's having good responses to the insulin at the current dose.

Also, if you look back through your spreadsheet, you can see that there used to be a lot of pre-shots that were red and black. Plus there was a ton of bouncing with some green, some blue, some pink, some red, some black -- all over the place. The past five days (10 cycles) have been nice and consistent with just yellows and pinks. That consistency has to feel better to Chloe than having her numbers bouncing all over the place! You're doing a great job of keeping her stable right now.

If it was me, I would stick with the F1 dose for a few more cycles and try to get a pre-shot and a +6 tomorrow if you can. Making progress with diabetes is kind of a slow process, but it does look like Chloe is going in a good direction right now.

You've really done a great job of getting those pre-shot tests in, and the mid-cycles are helping us to see better that the insulin is actually working, even if not as quickly as we might wish!

16. srk4cats

Thank you. I will keep her at F1 for now. This evening, she even jumped up on my lap while I was in the armchair watching TV and cuddled with me. She hasn't done that for a long time.

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.