Chloe6

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

She's at 39. She's eating now. I'll take another reading in 40 minutes.:( I'm guessing she threw up her breakfast because there was a big pile of vomit next to her bowl. So she must have had an empty stomach during the day. I'll keep a close watch on her.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thats low, thank goodness you tested before you gave her a shot! Test again in 20 min rather than 40. Also did you give some high carb food? Since she's at the end of the cycle, she should come on up, but we want to be sure.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Roberta, before you give the high carb food, can you do another test to make sure that wasn't a wonky strip? If there is too little or too much blood sometimes the reading can be off.

srk4cats likes this.
  4. srk4cats

That was a very smooth test and just the right amount of blood. This morning I'd hit a vein and there was blood all over. When I got home, she was up and about, so I didn't think anything was wrong. I'll test in a couple of minutes. Fuzma is camped out on my lap right now.

5. srk4cats

224! Should I give her some insulin? I don't get it. I gave her honey under her food, maybe that's what did it.

6. srk4cats

Are there really wonky strips?

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Yes.

StephG likes this.
  8. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Yep, it's best to get a second reading if you get a test result you weren't expecting it is different from the normal numbers you've been getting.

9. raun cesar

raun cesar Member

Yes, sure for insulin.

10. srk4cats

Well, I just realized I was on my last Relion test strip, so it's time to switch to the Everpaws. I guess I'll have to start a new spreadsheet then. My vet called again today to remind me to do a curve anyway. She sounded impatient and said (in the message) that it would be the last time she would call me.

11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Some vets require curves before prescribing any more insulin. Sounds like your vet might be one of them.
    I would get the curve done ASAP.

12. srk4cats

This Saturday or Sunday. Also, I started a new SS for the feline meter, but I will have both in my signature for a little while.

Djamila and StephG like this.
  13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan.

14. srk4cats

The vet told me to increase to 1.5, but it doesn't seem to be bringing down her numbers. Should I go to a skinny 2? Also, does anyone use styptic to stop the ear from bleeding? I'm going to get some today, in addition to those sterile swabs, so I can start poking on her paw. I'm thinking of getting some Relion tests strips and going back to that meter. Does switching meters have any effect? I can't seem to access the memory on the Everpaw. Can I use it only for curves?

15. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Give it time. You need more mid cycle or before bed tests to evaluate the 1.5 u dose. Pre shots only tell part of the story, especially when a kitty is bouncing.

Holding the poked area for 15 + seconds with firm pressure should do the trick.

A pet meter always reads higher than a human meter. You can see it on your two SSs. Just go with the human meter and watch out for any dips near 50 on that meter.

If your vet want a pet meter for curves, use the Everpaw then.

16. srk4cats

Thank you, Kris. I hit a vein in her ear yesterday and blood was everywhere! Have you ever used the back paw?

17. Kris & Teasel

No, I've never used paws. I don't think I could manage because my hands are extremely weak. It's easier for me to hold Teasel's ears. Yes, hitting a vein can make a bloody mess. I still find that the pressure for 15+ seconds does the trick even if there is a mess before you start holding that bleeding ear. I keep finding dried blood drops on my bathroom wall because of that.

Stressedcatmom and StephG like this.
  18. srk4cats

I'll try that with a cotton ball.

19. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Chuck's ears have learned to bleed so well that it seems like I got a vein every time but I'm not. The pressure trick works for us too.

srk4cats likes this.
  20. srk4cats

143. Should I skip her shot or reduce it? I actually got the reading off my finger, I mean, when I poked her ear, the blood came out on the underside.:cat:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  21. Yong & Maury GA

Did you already feed her?

22. srk4cats

She hadn't eaten anything when I took the reading, but she's going at her food now, with enthusiasm.

23. Yong & Maury GA

Well, you've never given a shot on similar pre-shot numbers so with no data, probably safer to stick with skipping.

24. srk4cats

I'm just so happy to see blue and I want to keep it that way. I guess I'll skip the shot and see how she is in the morning.

25. srk4cats

527. I had a gut feeling I should have given her a reduced dose last night. She's on quite a bounce now. It took me 4 tries to get blood from her ear and she was crying and squirming. I'm going to give her 2 units as soon as she finishes breakfast.

26. srk4cats

Today I went to Walmart and bought test strips for the Relion Prime. I am going to switch back to the Relion starting tomorrow and will go back to my original SS. Her numbers have been so high for so long, I'm really worried. She attacks her food when I give it to her, but she is still all skin and bones. How can I get her to put on some weight?

27. Kris & Teasel

The simple - but not easy - answer, Roberta, is by getting her BG under better control. That requires a structured BG testing regimen and careful dose increases in 0.25 u increments to get her to a better range of BG numbers. It will take time, scheduling and effort on your part. You have to be willing to test at least three times a day, do a curve every couple of weeks, give her insulin twice a day on as close to a 12/12 schedule as possible and be able to keep up this level of effort for the long haul. That's the truth of managing FD in a way that will get and keep Chloe as healthy as possible. We're here to help you if you're up for that challenge.

28. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I tested Smokys back paws all the time and rarely had a problem getting a blood drop. He would never allow me to poke his ears. I made sure his feet were warmed up first with a " rice" sock.

srk4cats and Kris & Teasel like this.
  29. srk4cats

Thank you. I'm trying...

StephG and Kris & Teasel like this.
  30. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

It took Chuck 8 months to gain 3 pounds. He really started gaining when he got better numbers. Not that they were in regulation range but they weren't black and red all the time. He gets extra food too. 2 cans of 9 lives pates plus 1oz of FF classics a day. Eventually he will have to be cut back a bit too keep him from getting fat. It can be tough but it can be done. I tried doing weekly weigh in but not right after a big meal. Young again zero really helped him gain too. It's nutrient dense so even just a little bit packs a punch.
    I agree with Kris. It takes some work but it is so worth it!

31. srk4cats

Thank you, Steph, I really appreciate your support. I tried to poke her paw this morning, but she would have none of it. With an ear poke, she was at 274, which is making me happy. I've decided to do a curve today. btw, that's a lot of food!

StephG likes this.
  32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

If you do a complete curve today and log the numbers in your SS as you get them so we can review them, it will definitely help you and us. I think part of the problem is that you sometimes tend to dose based on emotions...you see she is high and then you shoot a higher insulin dose automatically when you don't actually know WHY she is high. It could be bouncing (and has been before with Chloe) and if so, a higher dose won't help. You need lots of data as Kris said to back up your dosing decisions and you have to be willing to follow the protocol we have here for us to really be able to assist.

33. srk4cats

Just finished her +4 and she's at 242. Not much of a curve there. For some reason (c0nditioning?) she gets very hungry after a BG reading so I let her have a little food. I received my YA this morning and am very excited to start on it tomorrow. Happy that they suggest free feeding all day. Maybe then, Chloe won't scream for food so much. I have to go out, so my next reading may be at +3.

34. srk4cats

269 There doesn't seem to be a curve. What does that mean?

35. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Careful free feeding. I did that with Chuck once. Only once. He ate 3 days worth in one sitting and puked and pooped all over my kitchen. My civvie gets diarrhea from it too if he eats too much.
    I agree with Rachael. I once was letting emotions run my dose too. It was very hard to give in and dose with some method to my madness. I increased early, decreased when not needed... I was a mess and lucky for me these wonderful people helped guide me and we started seeing results. Chuck didn't do well on sliding scale and quick increases caused big bounces.
    We've come a long way in 9 months.

srk4cats and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  36. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

She could be bouncing. They tend to stay higher and flat in a bounce. But a yellow isn't too bad. Chuck likes to bounce in reds and blacks!

37. srk4cats

up a little, down a little, up a little - is this a bounce? I'm thinking of slightly increasing her dose to a fat 2 tomorrow or should I keep it at 2 since I'm starting her YA diet?

38. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We recommend only changing one thing at a time. That way you know what causes changes...so if she goes higher than normal, you know it was due to the YA. So no, I definitely would not increase tomorrow...I'd keep the dose the same and try to get a nadir for sure so that you can see what's going on.

I do think it might be a bounce. It's the classic highs yesterday and then staying flat today, though usually they stay in higher numbers during the flat cycle. That's why I'd love to see some more mid cycle numbers. Love to see how low she is really going so we can determine if she's bouncing or just needs a higher dose.

39. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

40. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I think so. Those numbers are all essentially the same because they're within the 20% meter variance.
    I agree with Rachel. Only change one thing at a time. Also doing a mini curve the first cycle or two when you switch the food is a good idea. The difference in carbs and difference in how quick and long the dry hits their system can cause an early or big drop in numbers.
    If you're just leaving the YA out for grazing after you feed wet then it's not as important to get curve but a +2 or +3 and +5 or +6 would be very helpful to see how the YA is effecting her numbers.
    If she was mine I would hold the 2 units for at least 3 more cycles after starting the YA unless she goes too low then reduce immediately.

srk4cats likes this.
  41. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add, when I said hold the dose at 2 units for the next 3 cycles... I meant that for shootable numbers only. :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  42. srk4cats

Chloe woke me up at 1:40 am with vomiting. It was a clear liquid. I wiped it with a paper towel and thought omg, I just changed the sheets. This morning, there was no stain at all and I wondered if I dreamt the whole thing, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. What does it all mean?

43. Kris & Teasel

Some kitties will do this when their tummy has been empty for a number of hours. Stomach acid can build up and cause this kind of vomiting.

44. srk4cats

Thank you. I don't think I'll change the sheets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.