Chloe7 using Everpaw

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I finally tried the Everpaw after I set all the settings and it seemed to work. Chloe tested 533, but she had just eaten her first sample of YA. I think she had also been nibbling on regular dry food during the day. I'll test again in the morning.

Djamila likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Do the morning test after no food for 2 hours to make sure it's not food influenced.

3. srk4cats

There was some high-carb dry food left out overnight. A fair bit of it was still in the bowl this morning. She tested very high this morning and when I went to give her YA she wasn't interested in it. I put some of the usual wet cat food on top and she didn't touch that either. Should I give her her morning shot?Should I perhaps reduce it?

4. JanetNJ

I would. Can you replace all the high carb food left out with the young again? You don't want it sabotaging her progress.

5. srk4cats

Thank you for your reply. YA suggests free feeding, but I guess they mean only with their food. From now on, I will put ALL food away before I go to bed at night. I kinda miss the insistant yowling in the morning. It's too quiet. I'm going to do a curve today. I thought I set the Everpaw date and time correctly, but it's not showing up right. I'll work on it some more.

6. JanetNJ

You can leave Young again out to free feed, and you can leave extra wet food, but don't leave med or high carb out where your diabetic cat can get to it.

7. srk4cats

I am really worried that she is not eating today and her numbers are so high. I checked her breath and it doesn't smell like nail polish remover, although it just smells bad. I am worried about ketoacidosis since her numbers have been high for a long time. How do you check ketones? I haven't seen/heard her pee for a day or two. I heard someone drinking during the night, but it may have been Chico. The diabetes store is having a Memorial Day sale, so what should I buy to check for ketones? Do I need another meter?

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

First thing to do is a curve to see what the current dose is doing. She might be dropping low and the highs are from bouncing or her dose might have to go up.

9. srk4cats

Do you test for ketones? If so, what do you use for that? I am doing a curve today and test again at 11:00.

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

To test for ketones, we usually use the urine strips. You can get the ones for humans from any pharmacy. As for the nail polish smell, not everyone can smell it...it's a genetic anomaly I believe. So just because it doesn't smell like nail polish remover doesn't mean ketones aren't present. Not trying to be scary, just wanted you to know.

StephG likes this.
  11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

There have been times when I swear Chuck has that smell to his breath but he's always tested negative for ketones. So the only way to be sure is testing.

12. srk4cats

Chloe tested at 362 an hour ago and just now at 361. The vet said to raise to 1.5 units and I agree with that. Could you tell me what brand of ketone strips you use and do I have to catch her urinating?

13. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

You can catch it with a clean long handled spoon. You can try putting plastic wrap over her litter to catch some too. I use to pass it under Chuck's stream but he caught on and squats a little lower now. I use the plastic wrap but have to pay attention because he'll bury it in litter if I don't catch him. I believe fresh is best for ketone testing.
    I use the ReliOn strips sold at walmart.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Ketone-Test-Strips-50-count/33574014
    Important to compare the test result at 15 seconds for these strips. I always compare results in very good lighting. The longer it sits on the strip the darker it will get. I count to 15 in my head but will retest immediately with another strip if I think it's borderline- and use my phone or timer.

14. srk4cats

These are the supplements I have, but haven't been using since Chloe was diagnosed in January. I've been giving her Zobaline once a day. Would any of these be beneficial? Vitamin World Glucosamine Plus for Pets, Vitamin World l-lysine 500 mg, and a holistic drop called Yucca Intensive from Azmira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.