Chloe's own thread

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

ok, now it's all about Chloe. She just tested at 60. She was at 40 an hour ago. Should I feed her some cat food gravy or put honey on her gums?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad you made it here! 60 is a safe number, no gravy or honey necessary for now. How long ago was her shot?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this! :) Could you please add to your signature (the text in pale grey under your post) what meter you're using? As Sharon said, 60 is a good number. It would be very helpful to us as advice givers and to keep Chloe safe if you could practice getting BG tests done. With very little data on your SS it's almost impossible to know what''s going on and to give good advice.

4. srk4cats

I think I gave her a reduced shot at around 7 this morning. Unfortunately, I'm not very scientific and really bad with time. I'll have to adjust. It's not cooking or baking where I can play around with recipes. I will give her next insulin shot at regular dosage about 6 u with a u-100 syringe. Does that sound right? Then I will feed her supper.

5. Sharon14

You need to get a preshot (PS) test and post. You've had 2 hypo events and you need to lower your dose! I'm confused by your spreadsheet. If you gave insulin at 7AM, that's AMPS. Then when you test and got the 40, that was at 1 PM? If so then that was +6. Read this:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    If you still don't understand, ask and we'll explain it. Please don't give a shot tonight without a test, and post the test result here for help.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Definitely, do not give her the full dose without getting a pre-test :nailbiting:. Before the pre-test time, make sure she has not eaten any food for 2 hours so the number is not food influenced. Make a note somewhere that if she goes below 50 (human meter) or 68 (pet meter), TAKE ACTION. Give 1/2 tablespoon of High Carb gravy, re-test in 20 minutes. Repeat until she starts rising on her own.

Print this out too: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You don't need to be super scientific for this...we have Kris when we need science explained! The time is important though. You need to give your shots about 12 hours apart and be able to get some tests in between when you can so we can see how the insulin affects her. Getting a preshot test BEFORE giving any insulin or food tonight is super important considering how low she's gone recently.

If you need help getting the SS straightened out, let us know!

Let us know what questions you have.

8. srk4cats

I think I fixed my spreadsheet. Yesterday pm, did not give shot, but tested. This morning, unable to test, but gave reduced shot. I hope this clears things up. I hope my SS is right.

9. srk4cats

10. Sharon14

The 40 & 60 are from the AM cycle, so move them to the left in the AM +6& +7 boxes and you'll have it done!

11. Sharon14

She's BEAUTIFUL!!!

srk4cats likes this.
  12. srk4cats

I just took this photo and she seems alright to me.

13. Sharon14

She looks good. Your next shot is due at 7PM. What time zone are you in, so someone can be here to help you with a dose. You do not want to give 2.5 or even 2u since both those doses caused very low numbers.

Also can you tell us your name?

14. srk4cats

She's a sweetheart, too. She doesn't have any of the diva personality that full-bred Siamese do.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I am a little confused. When you posted on the Health Forum yesterday, you said you had given 2 units for her dose. We suggested to take her down to 1 unit as 2 is too much. And now you SS says you gave her 5 units yesterday and today you gave 2.

I suggest you take her to 1 unit at her shot time tonight. 2 units is too much for her .

Here is your post from yesterday

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/chloe-at-22.175359/#post-1926345

16. srk4cats

I'm in the Arizona timezone and we don't have daylight savings time, so I don't know if we're Pacific or Central, and it never mattered until now. Also, I'm using u-100 syringes right now, so the doses were actually 5 u and 1 u, about. I will use the u-100 units from now on until I start with the u-40 again.
    My name is Roberta and I teach special education at an elementary school. I'm really not as stupid as I sound and I like math, at an elementary level.

17. Sharon14

HI Roberta, you don't sound stupid, just a little confused like we all were when we first started! What time is it there right now?

18. srk4cats

I'm sorry I confused you. The vet had her at 2.5 u on a u-40 syringe, but now I'm using u-100 so I changed it. The vet tech said I would kill her if I used u-100 syringes and they refused to do her curve because of it, so now I'm doing it all myself, like everything else in my life. (sigh)

19. Bobbie And Bubba

Roberta, if you are converting to the U100 syringes then put the dose in the unit block, not the conversion amount as it will get very confusing for you and others trying to help you with doses.

20. srk4cats

21. Bobbie And Bubba

AZ is 3 hours ahead of EST time now but when Daylight Savings time ends, you will be 2 hours ahead of us.

Sharon14 likes this.
  22. Sharon14

Ok so Pacific time

23. srk4cats

I changed the dosage to what I'm giving her with the u-100 syringes and put u-100 on my signature. I changed the dose to the u-100 syringe dose I'm giving her. I thought I fixed it on my SS.

24. Bobbie And Bubba

You want to put the dose that you are actually giving her in the unit box. So if today you were giving her 1 unit of ProZinc that is what needs to go in the unit box not the conversion number and the same for yesterday, if she was getting 2 units of Prozinc that goes in the unit box. If you keep it the way it is, it will eventually confuse you as to what amount you are giving her and it will confuse those that are trying to help you with dosing. People looking at her SS will NOT know to convert the numbers they are seeing. Does that make sense?

Another words, yesterday, when you used the U100 syringes and you drew to the 5 line, you were actually giving her 2 units of ProZinc. That is the number that goes in the unit box. And today if you drew up to the 2.5 line with the U100 syringes, you were giving her 1 unit of ProZinc, and that is the number that goes in the unit box.

ETA: the word NOT

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Reason for edit: ETA to add a word
    srk4cats and Kris & Teasel like this.
  25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, we never put the u100 conversion amount in the SS. We always just do the amount you are giving in u40 terms...so if you give her 2.5 on u100s tonight, just put 1 in the unit box, since that's what we will go by. And I do agree with Bobbie, that I wouldn't give more than 1 unit tonight.

As for what your vet said...wow. Just wow. What a jerk.

The good news is you're NOT alone...we're happy to help in any way we can.

26. Kris & Teasel

27. Kris & Teasel

I'm really glad that the dose numbers are getting straightened out. I've been panicking when looking at the SS. :nailbiting:

28. srk4cats

I've been on the laptop too long: I'm seeing Prozac instead of Prozinc.:arghh:

Rachel, Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Haha happens to me too...your brain is overloading and telling you it's time for a break!

30. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

3 hours behind EST so AZ is PST right now. When we all end daylight savings, they are 2 hours behind and become MST ;)

31. srk4cats

I tried and ended up poking myself more than Chloe and I don't know whose blood was on my finger but either way, I couldn't get a reading. I fed her and will try again at 10:00.

32. Sharon14

33. srk4cats

432!at 9:30 pm. She ate but she didn't get her insulin shot. Should I give it to her now? If so, how much should I give? Tomorrow I go back to work and the latest I can give her morning shot is 7:30 am.

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sorry we missed you! What did you end up doing?

35. Kris & Teasel

I posted on your other thread. I got confused when I saw this thread further down the list.

36. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks Yong, I mean behind us. :rolleyes:

37. srk4cats

When in doubt, do nothing. I skipped it. I got a reading this morning of 396. How much insulin should I give her?

38. Kris & Teasel

I answered in detail on your other thread.

39. srk4cats

Is there a way to close this thread and just use the other from now on, or merge them?

40. Kris & Teasel

If you copy/paste the URL for this thread into your first post on the other thread (edit the post option) and then continue only in the other one, the problem will disappear as this thread moves farther down the list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.