? delaying Chloe's switch to Lantus

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

I just tested her and her BG is 154. Should I start her at the full dose (2 u) on Lantus tonight?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Alas, we can't give Lantus advice over here. Have you posted over in the Lantus forum? I'm sure we'll all pop over there and chime in from time to time, but it's better to have the Lantus folks give you recommendations so that way it's peer reviewed. You are always welcome here to just say hi and give up dates though! I'm so glad Chloe is going to start on a new insulin. I really hope this works better for her and gives her some more stability. :bighug:

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Djamila that the Lantus forum is best for you now. It’s a large group and the expertise is high. :)

4. srk4cats

Well, wouldn't you know that she's getting good numbers now on the Prozinc! I'm going to get a mid-cycle today and see how she does on the PM before I switch. As long as she's getting good numbers, I'll stay on Prozinc.

5. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

I know change is hard Roberta, but I don't think you are making the right decision. I know you want to stay on Prozinc, but you just wasted money if you don't plan on switching.
    Chloe could be OK today, but her history tells a different story. I think you need to try the Lantus. If it doesn't work out you can always come back. You aren't forced to stay there.

I want to feed Gracie dry food. It would make my life so much easier. So much easier. Less complicated. Its hard, but I feed her what I do to keep her diabetes at bay. If I was selfish I would give her the dry food. So, just because you want to stick with Prozinc it doesn't mean it is the most healthiest option for Chloe.

If anything . . . do it for Chloe.

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  6. srk4cats

Have you looked at Chloe's spreadsheet? It's been all blues. She's been back to her old self. She's even chewing on cardboard boxes again and I haven't seen her doing this for years! Sorry, but I'm not going to rock the boat right now. Besides, we will be switching to Fancy Feast in a few days.

7. Tina and Gracie (GA)

I have, I generally peak and the SS prior to commenting.

Do as you wish. You control what insulin you use.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Roberta, if you aren't going to switch, you absolutely must start testing more. It cannot be up to us to remind you to do that. You need to take the initiative to get mid-cycle tests whenever you are home during the day. I understand the limits of working, but you are on spring break right now and I don't see any additional tests. You shot 2.25u on a 104 the other day and it appears you did no extra tests to be sure that the dose isn't causing her harm.

9. Tina and Gracie (GA)

I'm going to be a bit more direct here. Why aren't you getting extra tests in this week? You are on Spring Break. I'm curious as to what the excuse will be. I see one day with 1 extra test.

I totally get we all have lives outside of FDMB, but you are shooting at low numbers without any follow up.

We tell you the same advice day after day...and nothing changes.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Roberta, I think on some level you value the advice we give or you wouldn’t post here. We’ve expressed our worry for Chloe’s wellbeing many times over and have seen you through 3 episodes of DKA. Please consider the effect this is having on us but most important ask yourself what price Chloe is paying.

This week would have been a perfect time to get good data on ProZinc especially in light of the recent decision to try Lantus. You might have learned something of its ability to keep her BG flatter at a high enough dose given on lower PSs. That could have been put to good use going forward. However, that’s pure speculation because there’s no data to support it.

Unfortunately, Chloe’s FD isn’t going to disappear if you try to ignore it ...

11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I agree. Chloe depends on you to take care of her. Getting those mid cycles would help in the future. You could get a better understanding on how much action she is seeing mid and late in the cycle.

I also am surprised you didn't switch. After all the trouble you went through to get the lantus. Lantus is good at keeping lower numbers flat vs bringing higher numbers down so IMO it was a great time to switch.

I see you said you're switching to fancy feast soon. A few of them have lower carbs than 9 lives so you will have to be careful on the switch.

12. srk4cats

Switched to Lantus this morning.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    StephG and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Lantus also allows you to shoot at lower numbers which Chloe could use with her history of ketones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.