Choosing a meter...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

...again.

As some of you know, Janie's back on the juice as of last night and a trip to the emergency vet.

I always test her with our circa 2005 Bayer Ascencia Elite, but I have some newer meters on hand (I always send for the free ones and give em to newly dx folks)
    and wonder what's the favorite among you:

Bayer Ascencia Contour
    Accu-Check Aviva
    One-Touch Ultra Mini

Thoughts?

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

3. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

well. I have all the free ones out there and if I had to (when) buy another, I am getting relion macro cause the cheapest strips out there. only thing is strips can only be gotten from walmart. i have used all but contour which I have and will use once other strips are gone. but I have used last 2 and like them. I let the price of strips be my guide. but I iz pooooooor

4. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

are relion strips the sippy kind?

5. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

yes. the micro is fast. the relion ultima is very slow but does sip and uses a larger drop. I j=have used deb and spots relion micro and it works great. about $42 for 100 strips

6. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

absolutely love my Contour

It's the only one that I was finally able to test Shi. Kisses to Janie.

7. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Kris, so sorry to read precious Janie needs juice again. She is one amazing kitty though. I'm a One Touch Ultra lover, always have been, always will be. Not the mini, regular one. The Reli-On from Walmart is a good cheapie meter as are the strips. Hoping all goes well with the Diva.

8. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

I went with the ReliOn Micro, based not completely on Dian's devotion to it. I still have her old Bayer Ascensia Elite, though it's hard to find strips for that anymore.

9. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Nobody has mentioned it but there are two posts recently about the Walgreens meter being inaccurate. :?

10. Cleo's_mom

Cleo's_mom New Member

What are these free meters and where can I find out about them?
    Cleo goes in for her testing Tuesday and I would like to be able to learn to home test as well.
    Thanks.

11. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

walgreens or walmart?

12. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

The questionable meters are sold by walgreens, cvs and rite aid I think and they are the True Result meters - I used it and can attest to it's inaccuracy (just look at the beginning of Maui's ss).

The Relion sold by Walmart - is well liked by many people on this board.

Personally, I used and liked the OTU's - regular and mini. It takes more blood than Relion and strips are more $. So, those are the only negatives about it.

13. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

Thanks, Hillary1

14. Steve and Blue

Steve and Blue Member

I have used the Relion meter and have delegated it to back up. I had a few 'off' readings with it and did not trust it. The OneTouch UltraMini is now my fave. The strips are more expensive, but each strip 'allegedly' tests the blood twice. If there is a marked difference between the two results - you will get an error code. I have received very few error codes with it and never a crazy number. It does require more blood than the Relion, but the reliability factor makes it worth the $$$ to me.

You can get the Blue strips for about 50 cents each through Amazon.com.

15. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

Kris - I use the ReliOn also - haven't switched over to the "micro" yet because I have three of the regular ones - but Bob uses ReliOn also to test his blood sugar. The strips are the least expensive and I use a lot of them since I test Dude so much (and since Bob is testing also).

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

16. buddybean

buddybean New Member

I have the True Track. trust me I have been through many. They are very cheap .. 50 strips for 23 bucks. I even had the pharmacist give me a control strip to make sure my monitor was OK..

17. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

I agree with Hillary

I have used MANY meters and had problems with the TrueTrack, True test meters by Walgreens, I bought it because it was cheap and so were the strips. I had problems with them reading false low, by atleast 100 points every time when compared to other meters.

The 2 I use now are the Maxima Meter by Hocks Pharmacy - it is reliable so far and the strips are cheap. Also when you order thru this site you help when you buy.

I also have Ultra One Touch mini which I us for a backup and the results are pretty close to the Maxima.

I am glad that someone told me about the Walgreens meter being bad.

18. cjleo

cjleo Member

Guess I'm odd, but I love the AccuChek Aviva. The strips may be a little more, but the meter is quick, it sips and it needs very little blood to work.

And, you can get software to download the tests to your computer.

I and each of my diabetic cats (5) have their own special meter - the Aviva!

Claudia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.