chronic constipation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ydyjdwp, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ydyjdwp

ydyjdwp New Member

Cymba, dx'd 12/2009, on Lantus Glargine since 01/2010, previously Idexx PZI, has had chronic constipation for 6 months.
    Diet is FF and Sophisticat, he and his sister Nala are free grazers, both enjoy sliced turkey and chicken as snacks. Cymba's bg is 300 +12, nadir 150-200. BG seems to elevate due to the stress of the constipation. Laxatone seems to induce BM's with no appreciable rise in BG. My question: Are more carb's/fiber indicated here? I understand that the carbs will most likely elevate the BG level, but then so does the constipation. Any thoughts, ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would talk to your vet since it is chronic constipation. Yes fiber such as pumpkin will help and it relatively low in carbs. In addition to Lactatone there is also Miralax, a human anti-constipation med that is over the counter. It has zero nutritional value.

3. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

How old is Symba? And have his kidney values been checked recently? Because a lot of older cats have reduced kidney function (half are diagnosed before 9 years old, half after). Kidney function can cause varying levels of dehydration, and any amount of dehydration can contribute to constipation. So, for any older cat who has new problems with constipation, I generally recommend that they get a kidney panel done. If Symba does have kidney problems, you can make sure you add extra water to his food for now and see how that helps both his kidney values and his constipation. If it doesn't help enough, you might talk with your vet about some supportive kidney treatment (potassium, whatever) that will help his kidneys operate better, or possibly talk about the risks/benefits of starting sub-Q fluids earlier than normal.

4. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

Chronic constipation is no joke in a cat, and can easily be fatal if treated without diagnosis. It can easily be a symptom of kidney disease, diabetic neuropathy, megacolon, or dehydration, and each of those requires a very different treatment.

I am very shy about recommending fiber to constipated cats since if the problem is dehydration, or blockage/megacolon fiber just makes the blockage worse.

Please please see this chart http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation and then get your vet to find out WHY kitty is constipated before you try a home remedy other than extra water.

5. ydyjdwp

ydyjdwp New Member

Cymba is 13, dx'd with asthma @ 6 mos, on daily regimen of pred and theophilin for 12 years which probably contributed to his diabetes, but also kept him alive with the asthma. We discontinued the pred when the diabetes came, and thankfully he hasn't had an asthma episode for several years now. He is a wonderful creature, humbly accepting the treatments for his maladies, without too much objection. We can only hope, and he seems to understand why we stick him with lancettes and needles twice a day, every day. Many thanks to all who replied..I will be talking to the vet soon.

Mike and Cymba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.