Chronic diarrhea

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chester and Rita, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester and Rita

Chester and Rita New Member

Chester has had chronic diarrhea for over two months now and his blood work and x-rays were fine after his follow up for pneumonia. I'm starting probiotics tomorrow and was wondering if anyone else had luck with probiotics?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried changing the diet. Sheba had chronic diarrhoea and it turned out to be an allergy to the food. When I changed the food the diarrhoea stopped.
    Also have you tried cooked mashed pumpkin. Just plain pumpkin boiled then mashed with nothing added. Up to a teaspoon three times a day in food. Or you can buy canned pumpkin in the US but make sure it is plain pumpkin with nothing else added.

3. Chester and Rita

Yeah, I've tried pumpkin and he won't even look at it and no he's on the same food as always.*sigh* I'm pretty sure it's from the antibiotics. He took 3 round of them almost back to back, poor guy. I just hope it's not the cancer spreading into his gastrointestinal tract or stomach (he had one of his anal glands removed due to adenocarcinoma). I'm literally waiting to hear the UPS guy right now as if Santa was coming! I've tried everything and this is my last shot. This has to work I'm going with PremoCat brand and I've read on here that some work and some don't. If THAT doesn't work, I'll order some Fortiflora. Gotta keep trying right? Thank you for the suggestions though. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and good hearing from you! :cat::)

4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Frosty was on prophylactic antibiotics after his first skin tear and then developed bad diarrhea. After a few days of it not getting better we saw a vet who prescribed metronidazole. It has anti inflammatory effects and it really helped. We used a probiotic with it. After a few days the diarrhea resolved.

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Has an ultrasound been done? If not I’d suggest one by a board certified radiologist or internist.

6. Carina Josefine

Carina Josefine Member

Probiotics has been a life saver for us. I always have a tube around. However, I suspect the one I usually use raised Kitty's BG, so I will have to find another next time.

7. Hogan

Hogan Member

What food is he eating now? Hogan had a severe illness a few years ago, and after the antibiotics, he had explosive diarrhea for about 4 months. Poor guy would make a run for the litterbox and not make it. I used a lot of paper towels ;). His regular cat food that he previously had no issues with evidently irritated his GI tract and what ultimately worked was changing to a different type. So it's possible he could have developed a temporary allergy to his current food.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  8. Chester and Rita

He's eating Wellness wet. Wow, 4 months, that's a long time to have diarrhea! So YOU do know what I'm going through? I'm going to try some Metronidizole along with his probiotics first. He was on Baytril for a long time due to pneumonia and other "colds". I think his gut microbiome is out of whack and if all his good gut bacteria is dead for that long, it might take awhile to get it back... if it ever comes back. ANTIBIOTICS ARE EVIL but necessary some times. If this doesn't work, I will try some other food. Thanks for responding and for your input. You rock!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.