chubby & gus update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by don & chubby & gus, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don & chubby & gus

don & chubby & gus Member

Hi from us all,
    Chubby has now been of everything for 50 days now. He is doing real good and gives me a bath everytime I come into the room (a bunch of licks). I think he is trying to make me feel bad. If I can keep him from trying to eat all the food he may stay diet controlled. Gus is maintaining. He still seems to be scared, although not as much. He now pees about every other day and poops about 2 or 3 times a week.I started him on lactulose a couple of days ago because he still does not drink water and his poop is hard. Today he went poop and there was a difference, you could compress it. This has to be more comfortable for him. I feed him fancy feast classic & appetizers with about a teaspoon of water added to each. He seems ok. No outward signs of IBD. I will get him weighed to make sure he is not losing weight. I have tried to attach a link so that you can see the rest of my gang. Chubby said to thank you guys again, because if it wasen't for your advice chubby may not have made it.

don,chubby,gus & the gang

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

did you mis type? pees every other day ?

a normal healthy cats pee every day. couple/ few times a day.
    If he is not peeing normally he should be taken to a vet asap.

As for the constipation issue.
    Adding water to the food is great. I would however add more -- I always added lots of water to the food and made it soupy. You can do it gradually if he doesn't like it at first.
    in fact, lactulose works best w/ lots of water. It is an osmotic -- it pulls fluid into the colon.
    I quickly scanned your previous posts and see you have given him fluids in the past.
    some vets will recommend using fluids w/ lactulose if you cannot get enough fluid into him otherwise.

I really hope that peeing thing was a typo. If not, please get your cat to the vet.
    Post back and let us know, k?
    thanks

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Glad to hear from you Don, and to hear that Chubby and Gus are doing well.

That's a nice looking gang you have there!!

Venita

4. don & chubby & gus

I understand your concern about the peeing cheryl, thank you. Last night he went pee again so that makes 2 days in a row now. He pooped the day before yesterday. I know it would be nice to see him going atleast once a day. When gus first got here I would be lucky if he pooped once a week and peed a couple of times. Thats why I started him on subq and now lactulose. I know lactulose absorbs water, so therefore it needs water to absorb. I don't understand his aversion to water, I have never seen something like this before. My vet said that as long as he is peeing every other day (and they are pretty good pee's) and does not appear dehydrated, to just maintain what I am doing. I can only believe that gus is still trying to work through all that has happened to him and trying to make sense of his new surroundings. I have to take orangy to the vets this week for a possible ear infection so I will have gus checked again then. I can only put so much water in his food before he stopes eating it. I have already been doing that. He seems to pee more though then what is available in his food but, I don't see the water going down. Maybe he is drinking a very little on his own. I will post back latter this week after we see tha vet. Thank you venita, they are a good bunch and keep me on my toes.

don

5. don & chubby & gus

I talked to the vet yesterday about gus and told him about his water intake. He said that because gus is not very active, he may not need more water. I checked for dehydration, fur & gums and he is fine. The vet said that if he pees less than what he is doing now that we can start subq's again. I did some figuring cheryl, and since I have switched to fancy feast w\gravy (not the gravy lovers stuff) he has been consuming a little more than 3oz. of water daily. Thats about 90 mls. Subq's are usually 100 to 150 mls of fluid per dose. Gus, for the last 5 days has been peeing every day and pooped again last night. I reduced his lactulose to 1cc every other day and that has produced a much softer stool. Not the hard stuff he was having. I think I should have been a little clearer on my watering down of his food. 1 teaspoon water in the appetizer and 1/2 can, 1.5 oz. water into the can food. If he maintains with this scenario I will be happy. Gus continues to inprove, albeit a bit slow, but I am comfotable with that. He needs to accept me & progress on his terms as long as they don't compromise his health. Believe me, I keep an eye on him.

don

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

You have been giving him food with gravy, which could have higher carbohydrates. Are you continuing to check his BG levels periodically?

Sounds like you are very caring with that sweet Gus.

7. don & chubby & gus

Yes mam I sure am.
    Last week gus was 58 and chubby 55. I check every other week just for peace of mind. I think gus's (semi?) diabetic state was caused\started by the pred meds. Just my opinion. Trying to keep things somewhat controlled for gus and chubby so that they can just worry about playing all night.

don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.