Chuckie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by 4Chuckie, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Hi all. Chuckie my 12 year old little boy has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I am pretty freaked out and happy to find this site. The other online info I’ve found so far is a bit overwhelming and I’m terrified I won’t do something right for him! Anyway, I’ll be reading a lot- thanks to all of you who are sharing. Best wishes to you and your fur babies!
    Toni & Chuck

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Toni and Chuck. I can't promise you won't still be feeling overwhelmed, but this board is a very good place to be, to learn and for the support you will find here. It's a bit of a steep learning curve, but everyone here started out the same way. I was completely freaked, but learned how to take care of my sugar kitty. You will too. Are you giving insulin yet? Are you home testing? Remember to breathe, it's doable! :cat:

4Chuckie likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! We are here to help!

4Chuckie likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is overwhelming in the beginning but does get better.

4Chuckie likes this.
  5. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Hi Idjit’s mom - Idjit- what a great name! I am giving insulin but not home testing yet- my vet wanted me to start the insulin and said we’d do that later... She is out of town for the weekend. I have been dosing him as instructed 2 x a day, for four days now... it’s a small dose- I am not seeing any difference - but his poop smells TERRIBLE... Is that something that’s normal??? I’m trying not to overworry. Thanks for the support.

6. Idjit's mom

Hi Toni, Idjit came with the name, it does fit at times, but he's my baby boy! I will tell you that giving insulin and home testing go hand in hand. You need to know how the insulin is affecting his blood sugar levels (BG or blood glucose, as you will see in posts on the board). Our vet told us to continue his insulin,only test a couple of times a week, midday, change his diet to get him off the high carb dry, which we did, and we should come back in 6 months. We didn't know at first that the necessary diet change would lower his BG as fast as it did, and just happened to test one day when he was going into a hypoglycemic event (a hypo). Hypos are dangerous and can be life threatening. Humans test before insulin, and throughout the day to see how the BG in their systems is doing. Why wouldn't we do the same for our fur kids?
    If we had continued to give the insulin at the prescribed dose, and not been testing, Idjit might not have survived to make the 6 month check up. Instead, with the help and guidance of the members here, and the wealth of information, he is in remission, which means no insulin! So, Toni, for Chuck's safety get a home testing kit, learn to use it and make sure he's doing ok. I am putting a link here for the Feline Diabetes FAQs forum.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

There is info on hypos and an Index that I read and re-read. In the index there is info about home testing. Ask questions in the Main Forum, more eyes to see and get you some answers to the poop question. I don't have an answer on that, sorry.

4Chuckie likes this.
  7. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

8. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Thanks Idgit’s mom. Will do. Is it best to get the test kit/strips from the vet or use a human type? I am a bit disappointed that my vet seemed a bit blasé with handing me everything and brief instructions...and telling me to come back in 14 days-- I am seeing NO difference in his urine which are huge sticky clumps, and he still seems to be starving... I know it takes time to regulate. Anyway, I will be contacting her Monday and will get the testing kit/strips asap. Thank you all for the wealth of info and sharing! Also- does the vetsulin change the way their bowel movements smell? After I give it to him, he goes and it’s softer than normal for him and smells HIDEOUS! This just happened after starting the vetsulin- cause his diet is basically the same- he’s staying on wet food. I am going to check out the videos- do the ear pricks hurt them? their ears seem like such sensitive places...
    Thanks again!

9. Idjit's mom

Toni, I don't know where you live, in US or other. Many of us use a human meter, Relion Confirm or Micro, from Walmart. Reasonably priced meter and strips. You do not get this from vet. You are paying enough there, :)
    I would like you to move over to the Main Forum and get some other members input about the insulin. I am not an experienced member in that area.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    Actually, I have read that the ear pricks don't hurt, that the cats mind having ears handled more. And, they become used to the routine, especially with the treat factor thrown in!
    Another member provides a list of things you will need, I am going to borrow that and paste it here for you:

1. Relion micro or confirm meter or some other brand that requires a 0.3 size sample
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips
    3. Box of 100 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds
    5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief
    6. A treat for you

We always give treats to cats when testing, successful or not, so they associate goody with poke.

10. JanetNJ

up to you. I use a pet meter (bought on amazon), but most opt for a human meter because strips are about 1/3 the cost. A popular choice is Walmart's Relion's Micro or Confirm meter.
    Generally no...

BTW, if you haven't already, you'll want to make sure he's getting a low carb wet food. best to start testing first though because changing food from high to low carb can make a big difference. I know you said he's staying on wet, but make sure it's pate, NO GRAVY.

They have very few nerve endings on the outter edges of the ears. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat.

11. Idjit's mom

I wondered where you were, good morning!

12. JanetNJ

eh, here and there. went to barnes and noble.

13. Idjit's mom

I love Barnes and Noble, books books books, music, coffee, more books. It smells soooo good in there.

JanetNJ likes this.
  14. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Hi Toni. I'm pretty new here ( one month in) so I don't have much advice about dosing or things of that matter, but I can tell you that finding this message board is the best thing that could happen under these circumstances. The people on here know of what they speak and have talked and coached me through some serious panic attacks. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. It's scary and overwhelming and you have to keep believing that you're doing the best for your boy AND trust that he knows it, too. Help is a thread away, it really is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.