Chunky / meat-like food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cjtalbot, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjtalbot

cjtalbot New Member

I've found my cats, although they love canned food in general, seem to like the chunky / meat textured-style canned foods. They'll eat the mushy canned stuff, but aren't really too fond of it.

My question - which canned foods have this kind of texture & are low in carbs? It's hard to tell for many of them until I've bought & opened a can... Also, is feeding canned tuna (for people) a problem? How about things like ground beef cooked up - is that ok? More for treats than regular meals...

Thanks!

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Weruva is one http://www.weruva.com Mack and Jack, Paw Lickin Chicken, Peking Ducken, Nine Liver, and Outback Grill are the ones that are "ok" to feed. But check your cat's bgs to make sure the food isn't causing a bg spike. No one really knows the carb content of these foods. The company won't give "as fed" numbers but will say that all their food has under 6% carbs which is impossible since some varieties contain rice and starches.

Those are treats. Fish in general should only be fed once in awhile. Beef can be an allergen for some cats. Chicken and turkey are better choices and many cats love them.

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Avoderm Select Cuts as a High Quality, Grain-Free Canned Foods is listed on Dr. Lisa's website. She says: "Avoderm Select Cuts: This high quality product is a complete diet for daily use."

I feed Avoderm Select Cuts Chicken Chunks Kitten/Adult Cat Food, 3 oz cans. My guys don't like the seafood flavors. I don't know the carb content, but has to be low - there are nothing bad in the ingredients. Only the Select Cuts in the 3 oz. can are grain-free and they do not have avocado oil. The 5.5 oz. cans have Oat Bran, Rice Flour, and Avocado Oil. Here is the website: http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_prod ... cutcan.htm

Select Cuts Chicken Chunks Select Ingredients:
    Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate. Vitamins: (Vitamin E Supplement Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Biotin ,Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12) Minerals: (Ferrous Sulfate Monohydrate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Carrageenan, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

4. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

My girls are the same way - they don't care for the pate style - but like chunks. We are new to switching to canned only - but found that they both loved the Sophisticat Adult Supreme Sliced Chicken Hearts & Liver (Petsmart brand) It has chunks & is in a sauce - but on the "safe" food chart list.
    I am used to feeding premium foods, so I now have them transitioned to Wellness & some Raw Rabbit..but still break out a can of this sometimes. They love it.

5. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

Fancy Feast has a few flavors that are chunks in pate - Chunky Chicken and Chunky Turkey come to mind. Both are safe carb-wise. Friskies also has an Ocean Whitefish & Tuna one thats chunks in pate, also safe. And Sophisticat Sardines in aspic comes to mind also.

6. Julie & Aztec (GA)

Julie & Aztec (GA) New Member

Some of the Merrick flavours are on the chunky-ish side, as is Halo's Spots Stew and Nature's Variety Homestyle. Not all of these are low-carb though, so like squeem3 mentioned, watch your cat's bgs if you pick up any of those. Wellness pouches are also chunky.

One way to check if a food is pate or chunky before you buy it is to give the can a shake and listen for more of a sloshy sound. If it goes "thunk" it 's likely to be a pate, and if it sounds juicier, chances are it's a chunky or shredded style of food.

7. bradie96

bradie96 Member

i know the fancy feast chunky chicken and chunky turkey have more of a chunk look to it...BUT i know that one isnt gluten free...my cats LOVE those...i add those kinds in sometimes

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I don't aim for gluten free, maybe I should...but am aiming for low carb & limited seafood styles. Would love to be on Wellness & Raw only..but my furbabies still want an occassional not premium..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.