Cinnamon 8/5 amps 167, +7 #187, pmps 200

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cinnamon Lover, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Please try to get at least a mid-cycle test in today.....sometime between +4 and +7 (but of course if you can get more tests in, that's even better!!)

If you can get a +2, that's a good test to get too....it can give you a "heads up" if Cinnamon might have plans to go a lot lower in this cycle.

Surf safely today Cinny...that's a pretty nice start!!

Don't "assume" you'll give 2 units before you do! If she gets a Pre-shot under 150, you should stall, don't feed and post for help....especially at first so someone with experience can help keep an eye on you

Cinnamon Lover likes this.
  3. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

Ok and thank you @Chris & China :) I will test every 2 hours today, and add to this post xoxox

4. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Are you doing your curve today? If you are still unable to post to your spreadsheet, it would be good to put each new reading in your subject line. To do that, go to your first post of the day and click on "Thread Tools". Click on "Edit Title". That will allow you to make changes to your subject line. Just add to what's there with something like: +2 150 +4 120, or whatever your readings are. That will help us to see what's going on with Cinnamon today.

5. Shelly & Jersey (GA)

Shelly & Jersey (GA) Well-Known Member

Checking in to see how you and Cinnamon did today. Hope the testing went well!

6. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

Ok and thank you @Chris & China :) I will test every 2 hours today, and add to this post xoxox
    I wasn't able to do a curve today after all :( but I was able to get a +7 which was #187

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  7. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

I wasn't able to do a curve today after all :( but I was able to get a +7 which was #187

8. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

9. Chris & China (GA)

That's OK....It's not always necessary to get tests every 2 hours....Look at your spreadsheet like it was a puzzle....if the only tests you have are along the edges (only the Pre-shot tests), it's hard to see what the picture is, but if you sprinkle tests at different points, it's easier to see the "whole" picture

When you can, get that +2 though....it really can help you to possibly know what Cinny might do later in the cycle so you'll know how important it is to plan on getting more tests in

10. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

11. Chris & China (GA)

200 isn't that horribly high....it's actually not bad for so early in treatment

Pedialyte isn't really good for diabetics....it contains dextrose (a sugar)

How's she acting when you offer her food? Does she sniff it and walk away, licking her lips? You might try giving her 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid (famotidine) to settle her tummy, but if she's suffering from nausea (licking lips is a common sign), she may need something like ondansetron or cerenia (have to get from a vet...ondansetron is a human medication...cerenia is available at your vets office)

Have you tested her for ketones? You should have some urine ketone test strips to test her urine when she's acting like she's not feeling well....catching ketones early is the key to treating them. If there's more than a "Trace", it's a medical emergency.

You might try warming up her food, sprinkling a little parmesan cheese, oregano, catnip or a small amount of tuna water on it. Another thing to always have laying around is some Gerbers baby food....their all meat foods like chicken, turkey, beef and ham are usually pretty tempting.

If you can get some Kentucky Fried chicken (rotisserie, no skin), most cats can't resist that either

Have you given her insulin yet?

Just FYI.....plain meat isn't a complete diet for a cat, so it's important that she get cat food or that you're adding supplements if all you're feeding is "human" meats

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here's a post on suggestions to stimulate a kitty's appetite. Maybe there's something in there for you. So far, crumbling some freeze dried duck liver pieces works here.

If she's sniffing and walking away, or licking her lips but not eating, it could be nausea. You might want to talk to the vet about getting something like ondansetron or cerenia for nausea. Pepcid only works if they have acid tummy, which is not always the cause of nausea.

13. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

OMG I didn't realize about the pedialyte, I just know that my cat Chloe was born with a bad liver and her vet E.R.d her for 4 days, then said to take her home that she wasn't going to survive, I force fed her pedialyte and meat baby food for a month, and prayed over her continually, and she lived a long beautiful life with me until she went to Heaven two years ago at the age of 14 1/2!!! <3
    Now...ketones?? I know nothing about this, but now I'm scared so I will be up tonight doing a lot of reading...
    I've done all the tricks to get her to eat, she's just not up to it today, I'm probably gonna be taking her to her vet tomorrow xo

14. Chris & China (GA)

Did you give her insulin tonight?

By the way....what's YOUR name? Can't keep calling your "Cinnamon's mama" ....maybe you could add it to your signature? "Mama's name"...bean, Cinnamon & her sister Molly.........etc.

You can get ketone strips at any human pharmacy that carries diabetic supplies....WalMart's Relion brand are less than $10 for 100

Here are some Urine Testing tips

15. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

Yes I gave her 2 units after her pmps was #200
    My name is Debra ;) Lol sorry about that...
    I'm gonna Google ketones now because I searched on here and still don't know what they are xo

16. Chris & China (GA)

Ketones are produced when the body, in it's attempt to get glucose into the cells, starts to burn fat.

They're basically poison to the body, so that's why we say if you test and get more than "Trace" on the strip, it's a medical emergency. Sometimes "trace" amounts can be handled at home with fluids and supplemental feeding.

We don't want ketones to progress into DKA though (diabetic ketoacidosis)...That's very expensive to treat and isn't always successful :(

The "recipe" for DKA is not enough insulin + not enough food + infection/inflammation

17. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

I just read up on it...it says I can buy a thing to test ketones from her blood, I'm gonna get that, but until it comes I will get the strips from the pharmacy, I'm real worried now because she has all of the symptoms :(
    I'm taking her to her vet in the morning and I'm continually praying over her xo

18. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, the NovoMax meter also measures blood ketones and that's the "gold standard" when it comes to testing, but the strips are high (aren't they all?).....they're about $2 per strip

You can get a Novo Max meter from ADW that comes with 10 ketone strips

19. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

How often do I test for ketones? Everyday?

20. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Don't panic, Debra. Cinnamon's numbers aren't terribly high, so ketones are unlikely, but it's still a good idea to test periodically and to have the strips on hand.

If she has the prerequisites for ketones, as Chris noted, then yes. If she doesn't have any of them, a periodic test - maybe once or twice a week - is probably good enough.

21. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Debra, we have a lot of slang terms here that can be confusing, so if you don't know what we mean by a term, you can look for it in our Slang Dictionary. (that's a link)

22. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

Thank you so much to all of you for all the help, it means the world to me xo
    I have bad PTSD from losing 4 of my sons and several animal children, and I tend to panic over everything, I mean everything :(

23. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

It's okay. This can be very scary. I'm so sorry about your losses. That's enough to unhinge anyone. You aren't alone now. You have a whole family here, and we care!

BTW, Cinnamon is gorgeous!

24. Cinnamon Lover

Cinnamon Lover Member

@Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Thank you!! xo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.