Civie Cat CeCe has the runny poo's! Yogurt or ????

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gail & Houdini (GA), Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

No doubt from the ATB's.......My vet said to give him yogurt. which I did. How much should he have in a day? Anything better?

Also what is the difference between Probiotics ( $30 for a wee little bottle at Petsmart!) and FortiFlora?

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I haven't used yogurt, so I can't help with amount.

Fortiflora has probiotics as well as helping with appetite.

Don't get pricey probiotics at a pet store. Go to a pharmacy and get acidophilus capsules (or tabs). Or you might already have it at home. That's the active ingredient in yogurt.

3. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

I also make sure the stuff you buy at the regular store doesn't have propylene glycol. Not an issue for people, but can be in cats. I also get the acidophilus at the store.. way cheaper!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Steph, just wonder why you discussed that propylene glycol can be a n issue for cats. Propylene glycol is the active ingredient in Miralax which is frequently used in cats for constipation. I agree that propylene glycol is not appropriate for diarrhea.

5. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

How much do I give him? He only about 6#'s

6. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

You should also give the probiotic and/or yogurt at least a couple of hours after the antibiotic. The a/b will just kill the probiotic otherwise. I don't know dose of acidophilus, but I give about 1 - 2 tsps of plain, live yogurt twice a day to mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.