Civie Eye Infection

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JanetNJ, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I've put it off long enough and have to break down and take Allie (not diabetic) to the vet. She was a stray and is VERY high strung so I was putting it off hoping it would fix itself. It would look better for a day then look bad, then better, then bad. Finally facing the fact I have to take her.

She is terrible about getting into a carrier or any kind of confinement. Doesn't let up pick her up and will soil herself on the way to the vet. This will be a nightmare. But the nightmare will continue as I don't know how we will get ointment into her eyes twice a day. She's going to freak and hide EVERY TIME. If she sees a towel she's GONE. UGH. I'm actually considering boarding her for a week at a vet just so she can get eye ointment. :(

Anyone have advice?

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Oh dear! I don't have advice, but we have gabapentin on hand to give to Idjit it we have to go to the vet. But it might not be a longer term solution for the eye meds. Good luck!

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Wish I had some advice. Good luck, I hope she’s not as bad as you fear and treatment is simple. The gaba might be a good idea, it sure can knock my cats out...

4. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Ive adopted strays and feral cats, even with feral kittens Ive had, still never really relaxed enough for vet trips. I understand how you feel, believe me, fearing that the vet visit will be worse than the condition. Its SO hard to to "do this" to the poor creature
    Ive gotten very small dose of sedatives from my old vet awhile ago, dont know if thats considered an acceptable safe option now though.
    Your kitty may be too anxious but I have found this works with Rusty my cat with diabetes now:
    Spray carrier and blanket inside with feliway, also spray & cover carrier with towel. I just purchased the thunder shirt for cats and very surprisingly, it calms him quite abit! Dont known if it would work on all my cats. I bet a snug baby onesie or t shirt would provide similar pressure.
    Here in RI we have a 2 traveling vets and a clinic that has road hours. Ive used them once to avoid multiple trips to office, but very expensive.
    Wish you luck, and hopefully others here ave some advice

5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

We use the feliway spray in the carriers. Not sure if it helps totally but does seem to keep them a little more relaxed.

Don't know if I have more to add.

6. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if it would work in this situation, but someone had let me know of the RelaxMyCat app for vet visits. I use the scared kittens (or something similar) one for Lou's vet visits... It seems to work well enough. No idea if it would work for meds, but it might be worth a try.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So we made it! We blocked her in the kitchen with some huge boxes and managed to wrangle her fairly quickly! She did urinate in the carrier but thankfully didn't poop like usual and stink up the car. Lol Once she's AT the vet she did good. Stiff like a statue. Scared frozen.

Her eye had an infection but no active scratch and no ulcer. Did a quick physical and she's in good health. Heart and lungs were good.

She got eye drops instead of ointment which I think may be slightly easier to manage. She's home and hiding under the bed trying to clean herself off. She was a really good girl.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Poor Allie, can you imagine how scary and bewildering it must be for our kitties? Kind of like it would be for a bean to be packed into an EMT vehicle and rushed to ER. No wonder Idjit hollers all the way there and back! Glad you got her there and home, good luck with eye drops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.