Civies health question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann and Murphy and Tom, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann and Murphy and Tom

Ann and Murphy and Tom Member

For the past week, I've noticed clumps of hair from my 4-6 y/o Maine Coon boy (neutered, strictly indoor pet) around the house and on his sleeping spots. I've never seen him scratching or grooming excessively but tonite he got up in my lap and I found several large patches where his fur was very short. The skin in these patches looks perfectly normal--not reddened, scaly, crusty or anything unusual. He acts normal, eats, drinks and eliminates appropriately. He eats the same low carb wet food diet that the rest of my clowder eats. There haven't been any changes in my house routines/people and he certainly doesn't act stressed. I'll have him to the vet Monday but wonder if anyone here has any ideas/suggestions?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's just loosing his winter coat and needs a good brushing.

3. Ann and Murphy and Tom

Ann and Murphy and Tom Member

I don't think it's a lack of brushing as he gets in my lap and "asks" to be brushed almost every evening...has done this since he moved in years ago. I'm not getting excessive hair when I brush him and don't get anything when I gently tug on a small handful. This is a mystery.

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My Maine Coon X gets mats that he will pull out and leave lying around the house (he hates having me brush them out). It never leaves thin or bald patches but i will occasionally find a patch of shorter hair. Might this be what is happening with your boy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.