Civvie Cat Velcro has Lymphosarcoma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gail & Houdini (GA), Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

I feel kind of numb….please not another one so soon.

A routine exam Dr found a mass in his stomach…the ultra sound today indicates it’s in his intestine. Dr did a needle aspirate but is pretty convinced of the diagnosis.

Velcro is brother to CeCe who passed away last month and will be 15 on Friday. I noticed that in spite of a good appetite he had begun to lose weight and with all that has gone on since Jan maybe I just didn’t focus on him as much as I should have.

Now I have to decide if I want to put him through the chemo or not. Dr said without chemo he has probably 3 months or so left......but the chemo isn't pleasant either. I don't know what to do at this point.

Any input would be appreciated …….

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

i would do the chemo and prednisolone protocol. cleo couldn't tolerate leukeran (she wouldn't stop vomiting and she refused to eat) but we have her on the CCNU (ceenu) chemo and prednisolone protocol and her lymphoma now appears to be well controlled.

she got leukeran chewables every other day, i think, and now that she's switched to ceenu it's one pill every 4-6 weeks plus 2.5mg prednisolone BID.

really depends on the type/grade of lymphoma, tho. some are very aggressive and fast-acting and if that's what velcro has i'd suggest concentrating only on keeping velcro as comfortable as possible.

3. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Dr said even with the chemo we'd be lucky to get 9 months .... can they go into a remission that lasts longer?

How sick does the chemo make them?

4. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I have no advice or experience with this.

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry that you and Velcro are having to face this. I hope others will be able to offer some advice.
    Sending strength and healing vibes your way,
    *hugs*

Odiesmom

5. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Abbey's remission was 4 1/2 years--and she never got sick from the chemo. She lost some fur but that was all. She also had one large intestinal mass and was on the COP protocol.

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice either, just wanted to say I'm sorry this is going on ...

7. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

My sister's beloved cat did well for 1 1/2 years on just Pred. and Leukeran. Sending prayers for Velcro that whatever you choose to do gives her more quality time with you. I'm so sorry, Gail.

8. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Oh Gail I am so sorry that this is happening to you and Velcro. My heart aches for both of you. I have no advise except to follow your heart. Whatever decision you make for Velcro I know will be the right one. I'll be praying for you guys.

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Calming thoughts for you and healthy thoughts for Velcro.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Dont know how I missed this. No advice no experience but I am so sorry. Will send prayers for best possible outcome.

Jeanne

Edited to fix typo :roll:

11. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Gail, the first thing to do is find out what type of lymphosarcoma it is and what the recommended protocol is. Justin is going nearly 4 years after his initial diagnosis. He has small cell intestinal lymphoma. He has been out of remission once but went back in pretty quickly with a change in protocol. He is 17 years old now.

The chemo, even the strong stuff, isn't as bad as we think it could be and cats seem to tolerate it pretty well. Please check out the feline lymphoma group on yahoo: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline_lymphoma/

There is a ton of information there that will help you make decisions.

Patti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.