Civvie just went into surgery for a pyometra.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chloe007, Dec 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

My heart is broken into a million pieces right now. This morning when I went to give Oscar his shot, his sister didn't come meet me for her food like she usually does. She had been sleeping with me all night and when I went to get her, she didn't look well and would growl when I touched her belly. She's long haired and prone to hairballs, and had been retching that morning so I thought she may have an obstruction so I brought her in to the vet.

Vet almost agreed it was likely a hairball, she said her belly was a little tense and had a mild fever, but said let's do a x-ray to be sure she didn't get into any strings/ribbon etc.

X-ray showed some distention and material that did indeed look like a hairball, but said there was something more concerning...and showed me her ovaries that looked swollen. Said she was worried it could be a pyometra and they did an ultrasound to see if there was fluid/puss. There was, and we rushed her to the ER.

By the time we left her, she wasn't looking good. They have her on fluids and bupe right now while waiting for blood results and at around 3 EST she will go in for surgery. Please pray for her. I made up some really stupid excuses in the past for why she didn't need to be fixed (she's prone to high anxiety, was already 2 when we found out she was still intact, didn't have loud/obvious heat cycles so it was easy to forget about) and I feel an insane amount of guilt. Please keep your kitties spayed, not doing so has already cost me $3000 and a ton of heart ache.

We can go see her after a few hours post surgery as long as everything goes well. They will have her on fentanyl and fluids afterwards. And will continue with a daily antibiotic and I think cerenia (sp?) when we bring her home, likely on Monday.

If anyone has any advice or any anecdotal experience's please share, I'm a wreck right now.

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

What's your Civvie's name? I'm so sorry for what your baby kitty is going through and you as well. No need to feel guilt over things done or not done in the past. I hope all goes well and she is back home with you soon. Keep us posted.

3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

Sending healin vines for her, and *hugs* for you.
    Hope all goes well

4. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Didn't even realize I forgot to mention her name, her name is Chloe (we actually share the same name lol, she was already named when we got her). Thank you for the sentiments, she should be in surgery right now and I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the call to hear she's okay.

It's definitely one of those "it won't happen to me" type things. I knew about pyometra, which makes it all the more worse, so when the vet told me that's what it was my heart just sank. It hadn't really crossed my mind when I initially took her in, her heat cycles aren't obvious at all to the point where I couldn't even pinpoint an approximate time of her last cycle when our vet asked...our only indication when she's in one is that she wants extra belly rubs.

Thanks again, I'll definitely keep posted.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sending tons of get well vines for your little girl.

6. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

How is she doing?

7. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Thank you for asking. So they didn't get done with the surgery until around 6pm when it was supposed to start at 3. They said her uterus was very infected, but they took it out with no complications (thank God). It took longer than it should have but everything went as well as could be and I'm very grateful right now. Last I spoke to them (about an hour ago) they said she was awake and they have her on fluids, IV antibiotics and fentanyl. They said she was doing well. I plan to call up in a little bit (pretty sure they think I'm crazy over there) to check on her and see if she's eating etc.

I'm going to go see her in the morning, possibly sooner if I can't fall asleep tonight lol. They said if recovery keeps going well and they can get her on oral medicine soon, that I may be able to bring her home by Sunday night. Probably Monday at latest. She's my little Christmas miracle :)

8. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Thank you Sienne. She recently got out of surgery (went well, no complications) and is awake and doing as well as can be expected right now. She's on some strong pain meds and is still recovering so I'll give her a couple hours before I go up there and (gently) shower her with many hugs and kisses :)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Chloe is in our thoughts and prayers as she recovers from her emergency surgery. Give her some hugs and kisses from everyone here.

Chloe007 likes this.
  10. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry your little girl is so sick but happy to hear surgery went well. Sending heaps of healing vines for Chloe. :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you.

Chloe007 likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Keeping Chloe in my thoughts and hoping her recovery goes smooth and you can bring her home on Monday

12. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Hey everyone, so just wanted to give an update.

On Sunday morning est, I went to go see Chloe. The vet warned me she was really scared and wouldn't eat. It broke my heart when I saw her, her face was flat against the ground and she was tucked flat against the smallest corner she could find. There were many barking dogs, I wasn't happy and left crying. I was told it'd likely be another day before I could bring her home because they wanted her to eat.

I called later that evening (last night) they said she was still really stressed and wasn't really eating, and we decided she would do better at home. So I picked her up. They had to sedate her to get her back in her cage, and gave her a bath too.

Chloe's eyes just lit up when she saw us. She instantly looked much better once we had her. We got her home, she was super excited. Immediately she went for her food. She ate a bunch of wet food that had been sitting out, and started going from room to room with her tail up in the air like "am I really home?". She was acting just like her old self, trying to follow me down the stairs and just being her cute self. However, I think she wore herself a bit thin from all the excitement. I gave her the antibiotic that night (wasn't too hard, at least not as hard as trying to pill her for her pain med- that's another story), I think she got a bit nauseous. From that point on, she climbed in the bed I made for her and went to sleep. She would purr when I pet her, but I could tell she was in pain and I wasn't supposed to give her pain med until 4pm est today (just pilled her an hour ago). They didn't end up sending her home with bupe, just Onsior...any thoughts on this?

She's been getting up to go to the litterbox, she had bloody discharge once (vet said this was to be expected). She would only take some treats and catnip this morning so that's when I gave her antibiotic, and she wouldn't eat for my boyfriend while I was at work but she ate some wet food for me as soon as I got home (luckily I'm off until Friday now).

Pilling her for the pain med was incredibly hard. I got behind her (it's hard because I can't hold her because of stitches) got her mouth open with my index and thumb. stuck it in, but she kept spitting it out and started growling at me. I finally got in and had to hold her mouth closed, while rubbing her throat, and then she finally licked her lips after I felt her swallow. She was mad, but I got her to eat a little more before she retreated under a bed. I went and checked on her and she looked like she was taking a nap, but she opened her eyes and gave me a welcoming tail wag like she was glad to see me. I know she's happy to be home, but man this is hard :(.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

What wonderful news, so happy Chloe is back home, she sure sounds happy to be home with you. I hope her recovery goes well and that she is not in that much pain.
    Please keep us updated

Chloe007 likes this.
  14. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I was getting so nervous reading through this thread. I’m so glad she is doing well. My shy ones never ate in the hospital. Your TLC will do wonders. :bighug:

15. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad Chloe is home again with you. I can imagine how excited she was to be home, sending many vines for her continued recovery.

16. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the support for myself and Chloe the cat through all of this, it was indeed very stressful and scary. I just wanted to give an update now that I have a moment for all of those who were concerned. It's been a slow recovery up until this point, lot's of pain meds for Chloe (I learned she doesn't handle pain very well) and many worries about if she's healing okay etc. Starting last night she's been acting almost right back to normal, she's been prancing around the house with her tail in the air, head bumping, laying with me, trying to play and just generally starting to get back into her normal routine. I think the antibiotics are finally kicking in, and she's starting to heal, and her pain seems to be at a minimal now (controlled with just an NSAID, still have some bupe but I don't think we need it anymore).

Anyways, just wanted to let you all know I think Chloe is on her way to a full recovery! We still have a little ways to go, but things are finally starting to look up. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.