Civvie w/pica, scratched and raw neck

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BJM, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Poor JoJo---sounds like he is nauseated...Do you have Ondansetron or Cerenia around? Hugs and vines being sent.

BJM likes this.
  2. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Well darn - I was hoping he would start eating on his own. Sending good thoughts and hugs for a worried momma.

BJM likes this.
  3. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

More vines for JoJo, BJ. I hope he starts eating better for you.
    :)

BJM likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi BJ,

Just checking in to ask how you're both doing.

:bighug:

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Gave him more Clinicare this morning and left fresh, warmed, canned food for him.
    It was barely touched by this evening, so it gt passed on to the basement babes, Smudge and Bits.

Did a fresh plate of warmed, canned food for him and sat with him. HE ATE!!!! Well, actually, nibbled some, got massaged a bit, nibbled a bit, massaged a bit more, had a few pieces of kibble, sat on my lap for half an hour and cuddled.

6. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

:woot:Woot:woot: Woot!:woot:

So happy to hear!
    More vines.....

BJM likes this.
  7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Progress, slow baby steps, but progress never the less.

Critter Mom and BJM like this.
  8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I figure the massage is a bit like having mom cat lick him... minus the spit.

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

BJM, great news that Jojo is eating a little. I know what a good cat mom you are, but if you had included the spit I would be REALLY worried about you!

BJM likes this.
  10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There'd be spit only if I accidentally inhaled some fur!

I went down again to give him the Clavamox via the e-tube with less Clinicare since he's eating some. He nibbled a few move bites of wet and dry food for me, after some more kitty massage (I rub his sides somewhat vigorously back and forth and up and down to try to stimulate his circulation a bit.)

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Good news!! Yay! Did the Forta Flora get there yet? I've used crumbled freeze dried chicken or freeze dried chicken liver (my cats go nuts for it) or their favorite treats.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Warmed Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets in gravy this morning, plus some freeze dried chicken added, which renewed his interest after he'd stepped away. He ate maybe 1/8th worth of a 3 ounce can.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

Yay! We like good news. Go Jojo. :)

I second Gail's recommendation about crumbling freeze-dried chicken treats over food when Saoirse wavers. (It's a great help when trying to disguise the taste of meds when putting ground-up pills into her food.)

Hope you're doing a bit better yourself, BJ. Have the symptoms reduced any?

Mogs

BJM likes this.
  14. Critter Mom

An afterthought ...

I've noticed over time that when Saoirse's pancreatitis symptoms have been worse she sometimes tends to wait for me to be in the room before she will start to eat. Also, sometimes she will mewl a little immediately after eating if I have left the room.

I think having your company while he eats may be helping Jojo, too. He's already sore so if the food is perhaps making the discomfort worse, he may feel a little vulnerable when eating alone. Having you there to ' keep watch' may be more reassuring for him? Just an idea.

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

Is Jojo on bupe? I ask because I've noticed that it tends to suppress Saoirse's appetite a little.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  15. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Glad to hear Jojo is starting to eat a bit on his own with a little coaxing/cuddling from his Bean! :bighug: to you and scritches for Jojo!

Squalliesmom and BJM like this.
  16. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

DITTO, DITTO!!!:bighug::bighug:

BJM likes this.
  17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I suspect Jojo is a bit lonely, as he has only Bits and Smudge for company. Next Tuesday, it will have been 2 weeks and he'll have his stitches out, so I may put Street in the basement to re-aquaint them.
    My lungs are still crabby with me, though not continuously. I won't be doing much exertion because increased breathing sets off the coughing. I see the pulmonologist in a couple weeks and I'm hoping we come up with some different options for routine and flare management of the asthma.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Critter Mom

Thanks for the update, BJ. I hope that the pulmonologist will be able to come up with something to help you.

BJM and Squalliesmom like this.
  19. Gail & Houdini (GA)

BJ - How is Jojo doing today??

Andy & Pimp and Critter Mom like this.
  20. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

His eating is much closer to normal. Of the 2 things I've added to encourage eating - Forti Flora or Purebites freeze-dried chicken - the chicken is working the best. I began mixing the small cans of different flavors in with the regular Friskies pates I feed as I though they might be too novel. Thi seemed to help.
    He gets the e-tube out Monday afternoon and he is more than ready as his neck itches underneath the vet wrap holding the e-tube in place.
    He wants to come out of the basement. The couple of times I let him, there was much hissing and the 2 times a cat went into the basement when I wasn't looking, more hissing ensued. I'm going to need to do re-introductions with them. I've made up some peppermint tea and will try a few drops on everyone's heads to get the scents muddled up in hopes that will help.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  21. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Wonderful about the eating more normal!

22. Critter Mom

Freeze-dried chicken is a gift from the kitty gods!

Great news about Jojo's progress. Well done, nurse BJ! :D

Mogs

Deb & Wink likes this.
  23. Robin&BB

Hooray!!!!!!!:D
    How did that trick with the peppermint tea droplets on kitty heads work out for you earlier today?

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Haven't let Jojo up from the basement yet. Did some peppermint drops on Tux as she gets picked on and on Julius, who is the aggressor. Nothing miraculous, but no major cat fights, either.
    Mainly vegged today, resting to avoid aggravating my lungs.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

I'm glad to hear you're getting some rest, BJ.

26. Gail & Houdini (GA)

That is great news!! I'm sure he, and you, will be glad to get that tube out. Hopefully things will return to normal soon!

27. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

So happy to hear Jojo is doing well and eating better now! Also glad to hear you are getting some much-needed rest! Please keep us posted on how he makes out at the vet today when the tube is removed.

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

He lost a bit over 1 pound in 2 weeks. The vet left it up to me whether or not to remove the tube; I thought it was bothering him, plus I wouldn't want to reintegrate him with the others if they could hurt him pulling out the tube.
    So, The tube is out.
    Fortunately, the first thing he did coming home was to eat.
    And when I brought down a fresh plate of warmed food, he had some of that, too.
    I'll freshen it up before I crash for the night.

And on other fronts ... {work grump here, so skip if not interested.}

Earlier this month, I had a meeting at work. During this meeting, my left eye was irritated by something. Although I tried repeatedly to clear whatever it was, it just wouldn't quit. I closed my eyes because of it - keeping one open is very uncomfortable, too.

Now I hear that someone stated to one of the deputy directors that I was sleeping, which is grounds for displine. Mind you, I was sitting up, not snoring, no myoclonic jerks, etc. This individual then talked with my supervisor. I let my supervisor know what really happened. If this deputy director says I should be disciplined for shutting my eyes, I am going to raise bloody hell and file a grievance if necessary.

I may have to get ADA paperwork filed for the sleep disorder I do have, in order not to be penalized if/when it goes off. When it goes off, I'll have a nap attack which may last 15-20 minutes or so, and then it is over. Getting up and moving around doesn't work, as the brain stem is actually shutting down (I did try that ... and nearly fell on my face). By union contract, we are allowed two 30 minute breaks and a minimum of a 30 minute lunch. I have never exceeded that total amount of time (60 minutes) in nap attacks in any given day, much less a week or even a month as it is pretty well controlled.

29. Robin&BB

What a load of crap!:mad: I'm sorry to hear this, BJ ... the pettiness that some people are capable of displaying never ceases to boggle my brain.:(
    Yes, I'd definitely get started on that if this sort of others' nonsense continues at work.

So happy that you were able to take JoJo's tube out & that his appetite has improved. Yay!!!:cat:

30. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

They may be surprised at just how many different intermittent or continuous chronic conditions I have ... and yet still come to work!

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Robin&BB

Those pea-brains should be grateful.

32. Mitzelplik's Mom

Mitzelplik's Mom Member

Happy to hear the surgery went well and he's eating a little. Here's hoping his appetite gets better soon! It's great that he'll take Pill Pockets. Mitz used to find the chicken flavor irresistable until her last round of antibiotics. Now she won't touch them :arghh:.

33. MrWorfMen's Mom

Gees, BJM, when it rains it pours! There is always one trouble maker in an office and you really have to wonder what these folks hope to gain with such petty behaviour. I'm with Robin...if the work stuff goes to the next level, do whatever paperwork is needed to quell the tattle tail who doesn't know the facts.

On the kitty side, so glad Jojo is coming along better. You need a break!:bighug:

34. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

So sorry about the work stuff. Sounds like such a drag. They really know how to make a mountain out of a molehill.
    Glad Jojo's on the upswing though!

35. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Jojo was scratching his neck so badly he'd scraped himself and bled. I think he is allergic to the vet wrap they used. Plus, having the gauze and wrap on for 2 weeks may have irritated his neck, too. I took off the wrap about 8 hours early today and gave him 1/2 of the prednisone dose he normally receives. That should help with both the itching and the appetite.

On the work front, I've made an appointment in mid-January for a consult with the original sleep medicine group that diagnosed me back around 1992 or so.

36. MrWorfMen's Mom

Goodness.....it just doesn't stop does it! Hopefully the prednisone will help Jojo. Fingers crossed! And I think making that appt. is a great proactive way to avoid any further nonsense at the office. :bighug:

37. Critter Mom

You're absolutely right to be so hacked off about that work codology, BJ. :mad:

Hoping that the New Year brings you and your furry charges lots of positives; you deserve them.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.