CKD and diabetes question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

This is an excerpt from catinfo.org regarding fish:
    • Fish – I do not feed fish to cats for the following reasons:
      • high allergy potential (manifested as skin allergies or inflammatory bowel disease, and possibly asthma)
      • toxin/mercury contamination
      • PBDEs (fire retardant chemicals) – PBDEs are potent thyroid disruptors
      • often high in phosphorus and magnesium
      • highly addictive – the cat will not eat anything else
    If you want to feed a fish-based food as a treat, please limit it to once or twice a week. (I do not feed any fish to my cats.)

3. MezaDog

MezaDog New Member

I was feeding my cat with fish for many years since I really got the impression he was enjoying it! But, I only did it only once a week max and my Vet agreed it won't harm the cat. Not every type of fish has the same amount of phosphorus, so beware!

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

This is a big debate to give fish or not but I think when you are dealing with several issues some time you need to compromise in order to keep up with all the issues, and if you've found some food that is low carb, low phosphorus ( there are a few that actually are very low phos, just be careful that is really low phos )and that he likes I'll give it a try, of course if you can convince him of eating something else it probably will be better

At one point when Babu was diagnosed I had to resort to just plain tuna (in water) with Babu so that he would eat ( there's a point when you just want them to eat no matter what, he had lost a lot of weight and was at serious risk ) and it is true that ever since he practically demands his tuna before eating anything else, he and I arrived at a sort of deal about this, so he now gets just one little teaspoon of tuna ( not even full) in the morning before he eats his regular food ( at some times this has become helpful since tuna or tuna water can disguise almost any medicine he I've needed to give to him), and so do my civies which also have CKD , no way I could get away with opening a can of tuna without giving everyone at least a taste but so far I've never had a problem.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.