Claudia & Charliemeow... re Acro weight loss

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia,

I've read the previous thread and wanted to mention -- when Norton was first diagnosed as diabetic -- he had LOST 2 pounds.

After we started treating with insulin, he regained the weight that he had lost --- and went on to gain two more pounds.

We did not realize that he was an acrocat until much later -- we came to FDMB searching for answers when he started exhibiting brain injury symptoms after a post-anesthesia hypo.

We quickly realized that he was high dose (on 13u BID) and had physical characteristics of an acrocat -- later confirmed with the IGF-1 test.

(((((hugs))))) give Charlie some scritches
    phoebe

2. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Dear claudia,

My Merlin had acro also. He too lost weight in the beginnings of being diagnosed with diabetes. But once being treated he regained that weight and more. Also initially his numbers would drop into the greens intermittently. I was even told by one vet there's no way he could be acro because we get "double digits" (Merlin could drop down to the 50-60's - we used PZI idexx at the time - no longer available). Interestingl enough - a few weeks after this vet said this - his igf-1 proved what my heart had been telling me for months - that Merlin was indeed an acrokitty.

I'm not saying your boy is - but sometimes these tests wind up giving us some peace of mind.

Wishing you all the best and hoping we can help you.

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

I, too, have to chime in here. Fletcher lost about 4 pounds when he was first diagnosed with FD. We started him on insulin, he went OTJ in a month, then back on insulin a couple months later. At that time, his weight went up-- along with his insulin doses. He gained over 6 pounds in 10 months, all the while being pretty unregulated.

(and just an FYI... acrocats can actually go off insulin. Fletcher did so, repeatedly... it's all dependent on the IGF-1/GH levels)

(((hugs))) to you and scritches to Charlie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.