cleaning my filthy basement / toxin free

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Oct 25, 2017.

1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've always been told concrete is porous to some degree. Has anyone used or live in a house where the basement floor has been painted/coated with the epoxy based glop advertised for garage floors? Asking if that stuff is pet-safe just gets me a blank stare.
    This is our set-up. Plastic sheets hanging from the joists to the floor, around the litter boxes, to keep the dust down. When I do a quick sweep up I spritz a mist with a plant sprayer to keep the dust down. I also leave a small fan running 24/7 because there was no thought put into designing the HVAC in our house.
    Phase 2 would be a mop and hot water. Also a wire brush where someone has made a night deposit out of bounds or yakked up a meal.
    Now it's time for Phase 3. Obviously Pine-Sol etc. is out of the question. I have a laundry tub down there for steaming hot water and a bristle broom with very stiff bristles for big jobs. Is baking soda and steaming hot water the best option? This all happens next to the furnace so when it's stinky time down there we'll know it 2 floors up.
    Signed, six cats-a-pooping!
    PS This is where we think Andrew swallowed a staple. We think it worked it's way loose from the insulation and got stuck in his pads. He pooped it out so someone must have been watching over him that day.
    This is Feline Health no matter how perversely funny it may sound

2. Tracey&Jones

Tracey&Jones Well-Known Member

How about some vinegar..watered down?

Squalliesmom and Sharon14 like this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I agree with Tracey. I use vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to clean everything (not together, although baking soda and vinegar will clean your pipes out!)

4. Noah & me (GA)

Many many years ago I realized a pot of boiling water worked as good as 3 cans of Draino. Noah drinks from the toilet once a year. Disgusting and stupid.

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

There are epoxy floor coatings marketed specifically for veterinary clinics. It is supposed to be safe and can even have antimicrobial additives.

You should get some. :smuggrin:

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  6. Noah & me (GA)

Thanks. I meant I was stupid for the Draino, not Noah. He is wise in the ways of cat world.

7. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

i use concentrated kleen-free product for cleaning everything, even use it on the cats & i.. it is non-toxic enzymes product and does a great job at dissolving dried up stuff, even yakked up overnight dried up stains on my rugs and bedroom carpet are no match for it (if use enough when diluting it) and all i use is a bounty papertowel to wipe stain off after i spray it, that is how good stuff works. i use 3 capfuls (from the 32oz bottle they sale) and fill a 16oz spray bottle with warm water. no need for buckets filled with hot water and all that. on hard floors, i scrape dry up stuff if need be, vacuum, spray the kleen-free afterwards and wipe it off using a swifter mop with a dry thingie on it. love this stuff, kills germs & bacteria and if you stick some in a humidifier, it help kills odors in air pretty decently too.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.